Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,300

1 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Nothing like a new camera to make you feel smart as a box of rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by RhacHead View Post
    Did you figure out how to use the auto focus points yet? If not look that up in your manual this will help you out on those shots where the body is in focus but not the head.
    I understand the principle of the points...but couldn't get them to work. I'd think I'd have it lined up on the part I wanted to be in focus, then push the shutter button halfway...and a totally different focus point would highlight. Only in that one shot of Mira lying on the floor was I able to get it lined up on the eye properly. Those highlighted points kept moving around and I couldn't figure out how to force them to stay where I wanted.

I think I understand that there are different modes for the auto focus to work in, so I probably had it set in a wrong mode and just need to figure out which one I want and how to change it.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Ohman! I'm scared of going digital. lol... so many fancy bells and whistles. I think it's why I'm still so in love with my 35mms. that's not to say I don't drool over the insane digital cams my friend use. >_>
    0.1 Albino Nelson's Milk snake
    1.1 Pewter
    0.1 Mojo Spider (Gaia)
    0.1 Bumblebee
    1.0 Lesserbee
    1.1 Fire (Pele)
    0.1 Axanthic VPI (Isis)
    0.1 Normal
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Albino Burmese ("Bad Dog")

1.0 Wolf aka Puffball (Trapper)

1.0 Dork Boy (Roo)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Misfit For This Useful Post:

JLC (03-09-2011)

Thanks

I completely understand the frustration! I haven't had time to sit down and learn all of the manual options on my new camera, so it's still all point and shoot for me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to spitzu For This Useful Post:

JLC (03-09-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    I understand the principle of the points...but couldn't get them to work. I'd think I'd have it lined up on the part I wanted to be in focus, then push the shutter button halfway...and a totally different focus point would highlight. Only in that one shot of Mira lying on the floor was I able to get it lined up on the eye properly. Those highlighted points kept moving around and I couldn't figure out how to force them to stay where I wanted.

I think I understand that there are different modes for the auto focus to work in, so I probably had it set in a wrong mode and just need to figure out which one I want and how to change it.
    I think your focus points are set to 3D. I think thats the default. There are other modes, but I cant remember them. It will say somewhere in your manual. 3d pretty much lets the camera pick the focus points. There is a way to change it I just cant remember how to get to it. Then you will be able to move the red square where you want it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ama1997 For This Useful Post:

JLC (03-09-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Sounds like it was set to automatically pick what the camera deems as the best AF point. If Nikon is set up anything like Canon then there will be a button near the mode select dial that will allow you to assign the AF to one of the 11 points that the D3000 has. Try and look up this feature in your manual or ask the seller where its located on that particular camera.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RhacHead For This Useful Post:

JLC (03-09-2011)

Royal Morphz Maker Royal Morphz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Looking good Judy.
    Tim Johnson

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Royal Morphz For This Useful Post:

JLC (03-09-2011)

Thanks
    Ooooo...grayscale the last pic!
    As others have said, find out how to change the focus box/square and you will be all set.
    I have an Elan7 with eye control...I swear that should be on every camera. It is the best invention and no one puts it in. I so wish it was on my DSLR.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine_3 For This Useful Post:

JLC (03-09-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Pics look good, you'll find it alot less hectic to have a second se of hands to set up & position the snakes while you shoot
    Last edited by llovelace; 03-08-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

15. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

JLC (03-09-2011)

Thanks
    Yeah it can get very confusing when you talk about ISO metering Exposure like shutter speed and f;stops and all that jazz. Just got to should and mess with all the different settings. Maybe pick a book a good one is called Understanding Exposure 3rd edition/revised and updated by Bryan Peterson, its a very good book. Enjoy your new book and best of luck!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Shirkan For This Useful Post:

JLC (03-09-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ama1997 View Post
    I think your focus points are set to 3D. I think thats the default. There are other modes, but I cant remember them. It will say somewhere in your manual. 3d pretty much lets the camera pick the focus points. There is a way to change it I just cant remember how to get to it. Then you will be able to move the red square where you want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhacHead View Post
    Sounds like it was set to automatically pick what the camera deems as the best AF point. If Nikon is set up anything like Canon then there will be a button near the mode select dial that will allow you to assign the AF to one of the 11 points that the D3000 has. Try and look up this feature in your manual or ask the seller where its located on that particular camera.
    Yaayyyy! I found it! Turns out there are two different settings for focus mode. I'd found one and it hadn't fixed the multi-point issue for me. But after some more fiddling around and digging, I found the other! I'm sure once I get familiar with all this, it will seem more intuitive but boy there sure are a lot of mysterious ways on this thing!! I'm excited though, because each new thing I figure out is a step closer to my goal of taking beautiful pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine_3 View Post
    Ooooo...grayscale the last pic!
    Here ya go!

I liked it better in color, but some folks really like the B&W, too.

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    Pics look good, you'll find it alot less hectic to have a second se of hands to set up & position the snakes while you shoot
    That's a good idea. I'll be a bit more patient with myself to set up a good picture-taking place AND make sure my daughter is there to help wrangle snakes. And now that I finally got my focus issues worked out, I can't wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shirkan View Post
    Yeah it can get very confusing when you talk about ISO metering Exposure like shutter speed and f;stops and all that jazz. Just got to should and mess with all the different settings. Maybe pick a book a good one is called Understanding Exposure 3rd edition/revised and updated by Bryan Peterson, its a very good book. Enjoy your new book and best of luck!
    It's definitely challenging. I totally get the concepts of it, but when I try to actually apply them to a real life situation with camera in hand...it's like trying to do complex long division in my head. The understanding is there, but the execution is ssslllooooooowwww!

I'll look into that book! Thanks!
    Last edited by JLC; 03-09-2011 at 12:54 AM.
    -- Judy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast