Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,161

0 members and 3,161 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Mites make me sad :(

Well I have had my first ball for a week and I took her out for her first feeding. I put her in her feeding bin and noticed a little critter crawling on my hand. At first I thought it was just a little fly but noticed quickly it was moving too fast. I knew it was mites . I have worked in horticulture for a long time and I know mites very well. Fast mites = predators. Slow mites= herbavores. Anyways, I had to hit class and during my break phoned around for prevent a mite. No places sold it so I had to use the Nix method as is fairly commonly mentioned on snake forums. Anyways, seems to work great and I think they are all dead. Will follow up with a spray to kill any stragglers. What a huge pain in the butt. I love spiders, but mites are one arachnid I can do without

Just thought id share. Poor tuna is not off to a fantastic start. I hope she feels better now. Oddly I didnt notice her use her water bowl to drown the buggers. I killed at least a couple dozen too

Thanks
    I feel your pain. A couple years ago I had a friend take one of my BP's to a herpetologist to have him sexed - came back loaded with mites. I was furious.

Thanks

Re: Mites make me sad :(

Quote Originally Posted by LeviBP View Post
    I feel your pain. A couple years ago I had a friend take one of my BP's to a herpetologist to have him sexed - came back loaded with mites. I was furious.
    ouch that sucks. I find it very irritating that breeders will sell them covered in mites. Such irresponsible people out there

Thanks

Mine had a case of mites I still don't understand. I had had my little girl for 4 months and there was never a sign of mites. She has never been around other snakes, I only have one, then I came home one day to her soaking in the water bowl and I saw the little brown specks in the water. I ordered PAM online but did not want to wait for it to be shippede so then I went to the local pet store and found a mite killing spray there. I used it and they went away immediately so now I have the PAM in reserve. I just have no idea how she got them in the first place.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Mine had a case of mites I still don't understand. I had had my little girl for 4 months and there was never a sign of mites. She has never been around other snakes, I only have one, then I came home one day to her soaking in the water bowl and I saw the little brown specks in the water. I ordered PAM online but did not want to wait for it to be shippede so then I went to the local pet store and found a mite killing spray there. I used it and they went away immediately so now I have the PAM in reserve. I just have no idea how she got them in the first place.
    Did you ever handle other snakes like at a pet shop (or even go to a pet shop?). Its also possible she had them the whole time and you didnt notice.

Thanks

We picked up mites a couple of weeks ago as well. The *only* place it could have come from is the local pet store where we currently buy our rats.

I had to order P.A.M. and I guess we'll be doing monthly sprays as preventative maintenance just like everyone else :/

Thanks

What's PAM? and can snakes get mites from being outside in the grass?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    PAM=provent-a-mite, a must have if you own snakes.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

PAM is Prevent A Mite, I had to order it online. From what I have heard it is the best thing going for mites.

Yes I am in and out of pet shops all the time buying rats and when I go in sometimes I handle the other snakes I did not know humans could carry snake mites. I am well equipped to handle it now so she should not have to worry about it any more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    PAM is Prevent A Mite, I had to order it online. From what I have heard it is the best thing going for mites.

Yes I am in and out of pet shops all the time buying rats and when I go in sometimes I handle the other snakes I did not know humans could carry snake mites. I am well equipped to handle it now so she should not have to worry about it any more.
    Yep, the mites can crawl on you and then onto your snakes. Breeders must be very careful at shows for them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast