Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,137

2 members and 3,135 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

What could cause bps to not use there hide

ok this has been going on bout a week now all temps and humid is spot on( have a gun) but tyson keeps goin in his hide on the war saide and a hr later over to the cool side pushes his hide around alil and then lays next to it in a elongated loose ball. then hr later back in the warm saide hide he does this about every hour hes moving night and day. i doo have a uth on the warm side could it be to hot for him.

Thanks

Re: What could cause bps to not use there hide

If your temperatures are correct (check the temperature of the glass where your UTH is and make sure that you use a thermostat to control it because they can get SERIOUSLY hot) then maybe the enclosure is too big for him and he's trying to find a way to escape. How big of a tank are you using and how old is your snake?
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks
    tyson is bout 2 around 18 inches i moved im back too his 10gallon tank cuz ppl said my 20 long was too big. and the uth is at 92

Thanks
    where are you measuring the temp of the hot side in the inside of the enclosure??
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I use a dimmer for my heat pad (have a thermostat in the mail as we speak for my rack system though...) and you have to point the gun directly on the glass where the mat is, also do it over the substrate. It sounds like it may be getting too hot, that's the problem I had that I didn't even know was a problem until I got my temp gun. I have a heat pad MADE for a 10-20 gallon tank, and the dimmer is turned down about halfway....they get very hot especially when left on all the time. Dimmers are about 10 bucks at Home Depot, you just plug it in and turn it down.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks

Re: What could cause bps to not use there hide

Quote Originally Posted by LGray23 View Post
    I use a dimmer for my heat pad (have a thermostat in the mail as we speak for my rack system though...) and you have to point the gun directly on the glass where the mat is, also do it over the substrate. It sounds like it may be getting too hot, that's the problem I had that I didn't even know was a problem until I got my temp gun. I have a heat pad MADE for a 10-20 gallon tank, and the dimmer is turned down about halfway....they get very hot especially when left on all the time. Dimmers are about 10 bucks at Home Depot, you just plug it in and turn it down.
    tank you for that response i got the home depot dimmer and now hes back to normal

Thanks
    This isn't unusual; especially if he is still adapting to his new environment. If it continues however, and all temps are right; you might want to find some better hides. They should be snug to your BP.