Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,206

1 members and 3,205 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Moving my collection...

I'm moving to a new place on Tuesday, and having trouble coming up with a "game plan" for the snakies. The distance is about 75 miles, so I'm hoping to do everything in one trip... I have a total of 27 snakes (small/med pythons & colubrids) who live in 4 rack systems, in addition to my dog & 3 cats. Yikes. Temperatures shouldn't be a problem, since it's pretty mild weather around here - forecast is calling for rain, unfortunately, but temps should be around 55-65 the whole way.

One problem is that I drive a Honda, so there's NO way I can fit the dog, cats & snakes in my car... my friend who's helping with the move has a Suburban, so I'm thinking he can transport the snakes. Here's what I was thinking - put each snake in a separate bag/pillowcase, and then "pack" them into a few large rubbermaid tubs. I also read something about not putting them on the floorboards, so does that mean they'll have to ride on the seats? Or is there a safe way to leave them in the racks & put those in the U-Haul? TIA for any tips!!
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've got a upcoming move too. I've been asking around and what I've heard from the other breeders is the best way is like you said, individual snakes bags in a rubbermaid for transport. Just be careful to make sure all the snakes are on the floor of the rubbermaid and not on top of another snake and also make sure none of the heat vents are aimed at the rubbermaid.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Chandler For This Useful Post:

Lolo76 (03-05-2011)

Thanks
    Ithink get buddy to carry the cat and dogs in the carriers and pile the snakes un your car,( this way if one does slither by feet you won't freak like possible friend could.) I have moved several snakes once by just putting them in a pillow case ( each one it own) and then place this into a larger tub ( or rack tub to move them) this tub sat on the floor ( in cold weather ) and on seat if warm ) this way they could stay warm while moving.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mechnut450 For This Useful Post:

Lolo76 (03-05-2011)