Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,153

2 members and 3,151 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Thread: Lesson Learned

Thanks

Lesson Learned

I am a new ball python owner and have learned a very important lesson, no matter how much your snake doesn't like you messing with its hides and even if you never see them in a particular hide you should always check it regularly. My ball is growing fantastically and has never missed a feed. Today he tried to bite me (he has been aggressive before but that was because I had him in an enclosure that was too big). I couldn't figure it out. He's a juvenile so I have him in a 20gl bin, he has a water bowl to soak in, his temps range from 70-89 (measured digitally) depending on where he is in the enclosure, he has two hides, branches to climb on, his humidity is at 52%, and he just finished shedding 8 days ago. I removed his worm hide (this is when he tried to bite me) and I left him alone hoping that he would move into his cool hide so I could clean the area where his worm hide was. After a half hour he didn't move so I lifted up his cool hide and realized he was using it as a toilet. I hadn't cleaned it in 3 feeds so it was full of feces. I had no idea he was using it as a toilet (actually I had no idea he was using it at all since I've only ever seen him in his worm hide)!! I cleaned it out and left him alone for a while and he eventually ventured into his cool hide. I went back in to clean his worm hide area and although his head was sticking out of his cool hide and he was still tracking me in an aggressive fashion, his body was not nearly as tense as it was before I cleaned the hide. So lesson learned no matter how much he doesn't like me messing with his hides and even if I never see him in a specific hide, I will from now on check them on a regular basis.
    Last edited by ewelch; 03-05-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Thanks

Re: Lesson Learned

20gal is a bit big for a juvenile bp...
    Second, are the temps 70 cold side 89 warm? Or is it random, should be 89 hot side, and 75-80ish on the cold side.
    He might be aggressive because he doesn't feel safe, or maybe not feeding enough?

Third, always check hides, and check snakes often. It's how you'll know if something is wrong.

Thanks

Re: Lesson Learned

Quote Originally Posted by A.VinczeBPs View Post
    20gal is a bit big for a juvenile bp...
    Second, are the temps 70 cold side 89 warm? Or is it random, should be 89 hot side, and 75-80ish on the cold side.
    He might be aggressive because he doesn't feel safe, or maybe not feeding enough?

Third, always check hides, and check snakes often. It's how you'll know if something is wrong.
    He's a big juvenile (he's actually longer then the 20gl by about 6-8 so he can easily make it from one hide to the other without his entire body being exposed). His cool side is 70 his hot side is 89 (it's not random). I have it a little cooler because I live in Colorado and the humidity hear is horrible so I talked to a herp expert (and ball breeder) here to figure out what to do and he said to keep the temps slightly cooler then normal to help (he's been breeding balls up here for years and he said the cooler temps on the cool side tend to make them happier).

Thanks

Red face Re: Lesson Learned

Quote Originally Posted by ewelch View Post
    He's a big juvenile (he's actually longer then the 20gl by about 6-8 so he can easily make it from one hide to the other without his entire body being exposed). His cool side is 70 his hot side is 89 (it's not random). I have it a little cooler because I live in Colorado and the humidity hear is horrible so I talked to a herp expert (and ball breeder) here to figure out what to do and he said to keep the temps slightly cooler then normal to help (he's been breeding balls up here for years and he said the cooler temps on the cool side tend to make them happier).
    I mean about 3-4 inches longer then the 20gl (sorry can't I type and read at the same time)
    Last edited by ewelch; 03-05-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks
    My snake also uses it's cool side hide as a rest room. I picked up on this pretty early on and I lift both hides daily when I do my normal check.
    Last edited by TomC; 03-05-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    yes it is a good idea to check your snakes cage out, I'm surprised you didn't smell it lol always the big give away for me.

your temps are a little low on the cool side, turn up the temps on your hot side to about 92-94 and your cool side should come up a little bit and be fine.

Thanks
    lucky, i wish i could potty train my snakes. they just poop in their hide and crawl around in it so i constantly check their tubs. i swear they are just as bad as my nephews. lol
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*