Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,847

0 members and 1,847 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,559
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot

Thread: Blood Handling

Thanks

Blood Handling

So I've been working with this new pair I have and have had a couple observations about handling these guys.
    First, it must be noted that I, like many of you, am socialized to Ball Pythons and have crossed over so to speak, to bloods, so a lot of my comparison will be to a ball.
    Anyway, getting them out of the tub is no biggie, but once in my hand, I've noticed that where a ball will (once they relax) glide through your hands, a blood will move its head around, move a little, then back up, change directions, etc. Do you guys see the same thing.
    Also, I'm learning that balls seem to tolerate faster movements way better than the bloods. I feel like I have to move and handle the bloods very slowly - no sudden movements and no grabbing them around the body like a ball. I had my girl out this morning and was doing fine with her. As I was getting ready to put her back into her tub, I moved her to my left hand and turned around to pull her tub out of the rack and I must have done something she didn't like because in a flash, she tried to take a chunk out of my right hand. She had been completely calm and was handling real well, then blam! She didn't get me, but I was startled none the less.
    Anything else other than slow movement and letting them kinda go where they want I should consider when handling again? I want them to have a good experience every time so they become more socialized to regular handling and I know as babies, they can be extra defensive, so I want to do the right things early on.

Thanks
    Jim

Thanks

Re: Blood Handling

Hi Jim

It really depends on the age and the individual animal, but I do agree with your analysis. I wouldn't classify bloods as "cuddling" snakes, i.e. I wouldn't watch a movie with my breit in my lap like I do with my bp's and boas.

But most grow out of the super defensive attitude (I assume yours is young?). I've had mine for 2 years, and he's calmed down a lot; he still likes to talk, and he likes to look tough, but honestly it's all a show. Much as he likes to put up a fuss, he's never struck with the intention of actually hitting me.

They are definitely very different in personality from ball pythons, but they're great snakes, and despite their bad reputation, they can be very docile.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crazy4Herps For This Useful Post:

aahmn (03-05-2011),jamesa2580 (03-05-2011)

Thanks

Re: Blood Handling

I've noticed similar things to you, being that when I handled a blood for the first time I only had prior experience with handling balls.

I noticed that they're a lot more into "exploring" and checking things out with their head, and that unlike balls their warnings are a little more discreet, which can make them seem more unpredictable. As was stated above, she'll probably grow out of the punching and biting, as they generally tend to mature into very docile adults, but keep in mind the small possibility that you just got a spitfire of a blood. Some will still remain more defensive than others, it's an individual thing.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts