Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,275

2 members and 3,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Heating Custom wood cage?

OK, im new to the forum have had my BP for about 2 years now, his name is "Pretzel" OK, but to my actually question. i was at a show and the guy had a huge 4' by 2' wood, hinged door, cage for 55 bucks, so we got it for him. there is a bulb in the cage, covered by Plexiglas so the snake cannot get burned, but its not getting that warm in there. i have him on carpet also, is there any other ways to heat it?? remember its wood. lol, thanks for any responses. O, i forgot, there was like no ventilation in it, there were some crack around the door, i think its enough, but IDK. Thanks anyone!

Thanks
    o, one more thing, we have been feeding him about 4 mice every 3 weeks, i belive i read this somewhere in the past, but idk, ive seen to feed them every week. my dad does not like to feed him every week. is this feeding ok???

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Re: Heating Custom wood cage?

well since he is eating mice, im assuming he not very big and most people don't even keep their adults in a cage that big, so i would consider rethinking that.

but if your dead set on using the cage, radiant heat panels are the way to go with heating custom enclosures if you ask me.

and im sure his feeding is fine, some people feed twice a week, some only once every other week.

Thanks
    I have seen a few of there large wood enclosures pop up on here lately. they are fantastic beardie cages. The bulb will not heat the cage if it is covered by plexi. plexi does not transmit heat well enough for that. You could use a uth on a thermostat with a piece of slate over it underneath the substrate. get some small vent from a hardware store and install them on the sides also. you can make an enclosure that size work with proper hides and extra fake foliage for added security.
    0.1 B.P. (normal)-Scarlett
    3.0??? Painted turtles- Gott, Hammer, Coleman
    1.1 Dog (Husky/Shepard)-Maverick (Terrier mix)-Gypsy
    0.1 Spouse-Anjie
    2.1 Children -Miranda, Elliott, Bennett