Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,417

3 members and 3,414 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Confused and concerns

I juss recieved my first snake ever 2 weeks ago.. ive handled a few bp's before and fell in love with them more than any cats and some dogs lol.. i do have a uth and i own also 2 infareds 1 75 and the other 50w. i also do have a 50 sun glo that the pet store guy tlaked me into geting.. He Has no problems feeding wats so ever. I do understand my terrium is larger than it should be. hes 1 1/2 yrs old and bout 26 " long. idk his weight yet. His tank is a 55 gallon though. only 1 i can find cheap locally thats not disgusting or cracked to :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r:. Now under his house it fluctuates between 92-94. i juss picked up a dimmer switch to control it manualy. i have a light timer set on 8 am to shut down infared and it turns back on at 10pm. the humidity is around 75 + -. i purchased some humidity control spray to help. I feed him 1 mice wednesday and 2 mice saturdays. now the ambient temp is around 80-85 on cold side but i got told to put infared over cold side which i have done. If any1 has any ideas on making it better and information to help me out it would be appreciated. ive read and watchd alot and every1's opinions are different. I will be posting pictures of him as soon as i get to my computer Thanks,

Thanks
    The temperature on the cold side is suppose to be 80-85. If it is that temperature without the infrared, the infrared is unnecessary..

That all sounds pretty ideal. The humidity may be a little high but not too high. The big concern is when there is condensate forming on the inside of his cage.

If your husbandry is consistent, and he is eating then there really isnt much else needed. Spot clean as necessary, full clean when it seems necessary.

Provide 2 hides, one cool, one hot. Some people suggest having a water dish big enough for the snake to fit itself into, for shedding..

PS. Might wanna remove the censored area
    0.1 Normal - "Yoko"
    1.1 100% Albino Het. "Syd", "Vici"
    1.0 Pinstripe "Thor"
    0.1 Spider - "Mantra"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DarrinLowe For This Useful Post:

j.smith7823 (03-03-2011)

Thanks

Re: Confused and concerns

ok thanks, also is the lighting schedule a big concern?? i have the sun glo on now and change it to infared at 10 pm and back to sun glo at 8.

Thanks

Since BPs spend the majority of their time in hiding, there really is no need for a day/night light cycle. I would recommend ditching the lights and going strictly with the infrared if that keeps your hot side at the right temp. But generally speaking, no, they do not need a light cycle.

Thanks
    Well, it is kinda debated.

Infrared will eat up your humidity. Potentially giving your bp more health issues in the long run.

If you do want to use infrared, I suggest using a substrate that holds moisture alot better, and having your infrared on a timer, so that it regulated the humidity, without making it go too low.
    0.1 Normal - "Yoko"
    1.1 100% Albino Het. "Syd", "Vici"
    1.0 Pinstripe "Thor"
    0.1 Spider - "Mantra"

Thanks

Unhappy Re: Confused and concerns

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinLowe View Post
    Well, it is kinda debated.

Infrared will eat up your humidity. Potentially giving your bp more health issues in the long run.

If you do want to use infrared, I suggest using a substrate that holds moisture alot better, and having your infrared on a timer, so that it regulated the humidity, without making it go too low.
    I have the uth on a dimmer and the light on a schedule.. nothin above the uth and hide spot but i put lights on other side above cold hide out and water.

Thanks

And i use aspen as a substrate

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j.smith7823 View Post
    And i use aspen as a substrate
    I'd recommend using cypress if you want a substrate that is great for holding moisture and is resistant against mold. Something like:http://www.serpenturf.com/
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks

What are you using to measure temps and humidity? Its really important to use probe style ones. The analog ones and the stickers are useless.

The humidity seems really high especially for a tank. Where about do you live? Ideally, you want humidity to be around 60 and up to 75 in the shed cycle

Thanks
    i live in nh. the humidity is between 60-70% and i use a probe thermometer and the probe is under the wall of his hot house. i have 2 crystal tape thermometers in the middle and opposite side of tank. im purchasing anothr probe thermometer to calm my concerns lol. i think the 55 gallon is 2 big for him. im gunna find a nice peice of wood and divide it.. also im looken at another bp to fill the other side lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast