Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,714

1 members and 2,713 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
    Thanks

Glass top tanks?

I am looking to buy a blue tongue skink soon, so I am looking at my options for tanks. I know that a 40 gallon long tank is best, so I am doing price checks for different places. I went to a small pet store by my house and the guy there said that he doesn't have any reptile things in stock, but he can order a glass top 40 gallon long tank, with lights, for $150. I have never heard of a glass top tank. Any advice on them? Am I better off with a screen top? I didn't think to ask him this, but maybe someone here knows the answer: How does the lighting work? Are there cut outs for them.. If not, wouldn't the lights heat the glass too much? Or the tank not enough?
    -Nicki-

1.0 Bearded Dragon (Sugar)
    0.1 Iguana (Spice)
    1.1 Dauschands (Duke and Daisy)
    1.0 Bassett Hound (Bo)
    1.0 Lab-Mix (Ali)

"Distance isn't for the fearful, it's for the bold, for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love, for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough."

Thanks

Re: Glass top tanks?

You need a screen top or your going to have to mount the lights inside the enclosure,uvb rays do not pass through glass.

Thanks
    Ya, I actually just got done reading that when I was doing some more research on lighting and whatnot. I still have sooooo much to learn before I get my BTS, lol. But I definitley want to get all my research done NOW not one he/she is here and I've screwed something up. Thanks
    -Nicki-

1.0 Bearded Dragon (Sugar)
    0.1 Iguana (Spice)
    1.1 Dauschands (Duke and Daisy)
    1.0 Bassett Hound (Bo)
    1.0 Lab-Mix (Ali)

"Distance isn't for the fearful, it's for the bold, for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love, for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough."