Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,309

0 members and 3,309 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Mites in reptile bark! What bedding should I use?

Hi, Im new to this forum and just got a baby ball python a few weeks ago. So my problem is that my snake keeps getting mites. It hasn't gotten bad but Ive already cleaned its cage 4 times in 3 weeks. Changed the bark, scrubbed the whole thing out and have even changed terrariums in paranoia that i was missing some tiny little area that a mites could be hiding and scrubbed all items that were going to be put in the tank. I've bought mite off by zoo med and sprayed the snake and bark and everything else with an unnecessary amount of it. The mites will be gone for a while and then magically their back! So Im convinced its in the bark even though I said I sprayed it because the first two times I changed the bark I didn't spray the new stuff put in and the mites would appear later that day vs after spraying it takes a few days for a visual arrival. Plus I had issues with this before with a tortoise but the idea of a company selling an infected product didn't cross my naive mind. Does any body have any suggestions of a different bedding I could use? that I will not have to worry about this issue and waste lots of money wishing and hopping the next bag will be mite free? Thank you!!

Thanks

Re: Mites in reptile bark! What bedding should I use?

Quote Originally Posted by NR178 View Post
    Hi, Im new to this forum and just got a baby ball python a few weeks ago. So my problem is that my snake keeps getting mites. It hasn't gotten bad but Ive already cleaned its cage 4 times in 3 weeks. Changed the bark, scrubbed the whole thing out and have even changed terrariums in paranoia that i was missing some tiny little area that a mites could be hiding and scrubbed all items that were going to be put in the tank. I've bought mite off by zoo med and sprayed the snake and bark and everything else with an unnecessary amount of it. The mites will be gone for a while and then magically their back! So Im convinced its in the bark even though I said I sprayed it because the first two times I changed the bark I didn't spray the new stuff put in and the mites would appear later that day vs after spraying it takes a few days for a visual arrival. Plus I had issues with this before with a tortoise but the idea of a company selling an infected product didn't cross my naive mind. Does any body have any suggestions of a different bedding I could use? that I will not have to worry about this issue and waste lots of money wishing and hopping the next bag will be mite free? Thank you!!
    i use newspaper or paper towels . it might not look the best but i works for me

1.0 Albino het Genetic Stripe
    0.1 Albino
    1.1 Lesser
    0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic
    0.1 Pied
    1.0 Pastel het Pied
    0.1 Normal

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan427 For This Useful Post:

NR178 (03-04-2011)

Thanks

You Can Use Paper Towel But Use Two Layers. And If The They Keep Coming Then Get A Piece Of Cloth And Spray It Then Wipe The Snake With The Cloth But Dont Spary Directly On The Snake.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LegitProblem For This Useful Post:

NR178 (03-04-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Paper of some type is the best way to go. You can't go wrong and it is cheap and easy to change frequently. You should use prevent-a-mite. You also should use soaks of warm water with a drop of dish soap. Make sure you let the snake chill in the warm water before you put in the soap so they drink if they are going to. You don't need a lot of water, just enough to get the whole snake wet. You need to throw away anything that is porous. Plastic hides, water bowls, and paper for bedding will help you get rid of the problem!

Regards,

B

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Simple Man For This Useful Post:

NR178 (03-04-2011)

Thanks

Personally I use coconut husk. Its great for tank use because of it's absorbency and it help with humidity control. I have yet to have a mite problem so i am not sure how well it would work with an existing issue.
    0.1 B.P. (normal)-Scarlett
    3.0??? Painted turtles- Gott, Hammer, Coleman
    1.1 Dog (Husky/Shepard)-Maverick (Terrier mix)-Gypsy
    0.1 Spouse-Anjie
    2.1 Children -Miranda, Elliott, Bennett

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Maverick67 For This Useful Post:

NR178 (03-04-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick67 View Post
    Personally I use coconut husk. Its great for tank use because of it's absorbency and it help with humidity control. I have yet to have a mite problem so i am not sure how well it would work with an existing issue.
    Mite eggs will hide anywhere they can fit. They can fit anywhere because they are tiny. It's impossible to clean fancy substrate, bark logs, climbing branches, and the various other things people put in tanks for their own viewing pleasure. The snakes doesn't care either way. That's why you want a minimalistic approach combined with soaking the snake and treating the enclosure. The tank should be as bare as possible so you can clean every square inch. That's why paper substrate and plastic bowls/hides work the best in preventing and curing mite infestations. If you insist on adding the other stuff just wait until you are very sure the infestation is gone for good. Good luck OP!

Regards,

B

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Simple Man For This Useful Post:

NR178 (03-04-2011)

Thanks
    I have heard that if you soak your wooden tank structures (bark logs, climbing sticks...ect) in a vinegar solution and bake them in your oven at a low temp 200-300 in your over for 15-30 min it will clean them right out. no mites no anything. If you try this i would look up some addition info on it before hand for time and temps.
    Last edited by Maverick67; 03-02-2011 at 04:35 PM.
    0.1 B.P. (normal)-Scarlett
    3.0??? Painted turtles- Gott, Hammer, Coleman
    1.1 Dog (Husky/Shepard)-Maverick (Terrier mix)-Gypsy
    0.1 Spouse-Anjie
    2.1 Children -Miranda, Elliott, Bennett

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Maverick67 For This Useful Post:

NR178 (03-04-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Buy prevent a mite and follow the instruction on the can.... It is the only stuff that I have found works good. I spray my tanks every other month just to be safe.....
    “I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.”Winston Churchill
    1.0 '10 piebald, 0.1 '10 het piebald, 01 '07 het. Piebald
    0.1 '10 lesser, 0.1 '10 albino, 1.0 '11 Black Pastel het. Albino, 0.1 '11 het. Albino, 0.1 '08 het. Albino, 0.1 '10 het. Albino
    0.1 '09 woma, 1.0 '10 Pewter, 0.1 '11 Lesser Bee
    0.1 '10 Super Cinnamon Woma, 0.1 '10 Mojave Spider, 0.1 '11 mojave, 0.1 Super Chocolate
    0.1 '10 Pastel Yellowbelly, 1.0 '11 Pastel Yellowbelly
    1.1 '10 yellowbelly, 0.2 '10 normal
    0.1 '08 Cinnamon, '08 Normal, 0.1 '10 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Black eyed lucy possible yellowbelly
    1.0 '11 Cinnamon Enchi, 1.0 '11 pastave
    0.1 '10 coral albino Boa, '10 1.0 Sunglow boa, 11 0.1 Motley boa
    0.1 '11 Central American hypo boa, 1.0 Central American Motley
    0.1 '11+T Albino Blood, 0.1 '11 poss het. +T Albino Blood

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonboy4578 For This Useful Post:

NR178 (03-04-2011)