Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,257

2 members and 3,255 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

just a observation

as ive stated before i spared no expense stting up tysons cage. but since ive been told its no good i need to use a tub for various reasons. so i had a idea and i pulled tyson out put him in his carrier and went to work. what i did was take his 20 long. i wrapped blue paper around the sides and back with 3 inches open on the top and then put a 4 inch strip across the bottom of the front. ive noticed tyson like to come out more now he even slides up to look over the edges which is very cool plus i can see him and he looks happier. i have 3 kids 6mts,3 yrs,7yrs so he was probly a lil shook up with them running around. also i let the kids decorated the paper on the out side it looks neat and gave a very good personal touch to him.

p.s frozen/thawed/ pre-killed still aint happinin owell i guess he just like being billy badass an takin down the mouse the thrill of the hunt lol

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Your priority right now is for your BP to eat and unless he was a strong f/t feeder before you got him, f/t is just not gonna happen.

If he was fed live feed live, the key for your BP to eat is to offer the proper prey and that your BP is stress free and apparently this is not the case here and has proper husbandry.

No more moving around, no handling , low traffic area and if it is a baby it is crucial to downsize your enclosure size for the rest make sure the temps, humidity and proper hides are offered.
    Deborah Stewart

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Aquarium tanks can work, they just need more work/attention to maintain proper temps and humidity.
    I think that's a great idea wrapping up 3 sides of the tank.
    My recommendations for a happy aquarium snake:
    -A heating pad to create a warm side with a thermostat to control the temperature
    -Having 2 identical hides, one on the cool side and one over the heating pad. Identical so that your snake does not choose security over thermoregulation.
    -Keeping track of surface temperatures (which are what matter to BP's) with a IR thermometer (such as the www.tempgun.com/)
    -Maintaining at least 50% humidity
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks
    thanx for the responses guys. i taped up all of his screen lid with duct tape ecept where the light goes an he small lid of course his humidity stay around 60 and i keep his warm side at 83-87 an the otherside at 79-83.traffic dont seem to bother him the more the kids run around and play the more he comes out and cruises around likes to come up above the paper and follow your finger accross the cage. and with tank size i was told to buy a 20long. i do have it filled up good with branches,large corner water dish, 2 hides,2 skulls that he climbs and wraps around and hides in occasionally. is this wrong? also someone said i need to buy a fogger is that true?

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    I would NOT install a fogger, it is completely unnecessary for a Ball Python, it's more suitable for something like a Green Tree Python. BP's just need 50% humility (a little more during shed time, but not much more) A fogger would be overkill. If you are worried about humidity I would recommend switching to cypress substrate. It holds moisture well and is resistant to mold.

Something I think you should consider about cruising. BP's do not come out and cruise around when they are happy, they are not naturally out and about snakes, he should be spending the majority of his time in a hide. A hiding Ball Python is a happy Ball Python. Now its normal for them to come out and cruise around from time to time(usually around dusk or dawn) but if he is out excessively it means he is not happy and looking for a quieter/more secure place to hide out and sleep.
    Last edited by Adam Chandler; 03-02-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks
    you should really put him in your bedroom or some other quiet room, your BP is prolly stressed and that is why you have seen him out so much. the more your kids run around the more he comes out because the more stressed he is. who told you to buy a 20g Long, im guessing the pet store. a fogger is not needed. also, how big is ur BP?
    humidity is good. his hot side needs to be up around 90-93 and the other temps fine. the more you see him the worse off he is. you dont want to see a BP cruising around. once your BP is hiding all the time he should eat. and i always say a hiding BP is a happy BP
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*