Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,170

0 members and 3,170 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Can fuzzy rats harm my baby BP???

Ok, thats the question, can fuzzy rats bite my baby 107 grs BP, i am forced to feed live, because she doesnt care about FT (tried moving, warming them, the dark box, leaving the FT mouse all nigth and the nex morning its just there, i really tried all i imagine, every day she doesnt eat is valious wasted time, as she's just a baby), Fresh killed she strikes and bites, but doesnt constrict, she was eating live mice from the boy that sold her to me, he said he also tried hard getting her into FT, but its just not for her, i dont like live, but i love my snake and i dont want her to starve to die, so i will put tomorrow a fuzzy rat in her cage, but because she's picky i was thinking in leaving the rat in the cage, turning off the ligth and pray she eats, but i dont know if i can safely leave the rat wuth her, its not i dont want to supervise her because of lazzyness, its just i want to disturb her the lest in order she eats. please help me...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    no, but monitor all feedings
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

zato1 (02-28-2011)

Thanks

Re: Can fuzzy rats harm my baby BP???

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    no, but monitor all feedings
    thanks, but for doing so i have to turn on the ligth, id like to hear some more advices

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

I feed live prey to my snakes. I just stand there and make sure the snake gets a good strike and nice coil around the prey. I look to see where the prey item's head is at to make sure it cannot bite my snake. I then turn off the light and leave. I always check after fifteen minutes also to make sure they have eaten the prey so that it is not in the enclosure with my snakes unattended.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

PitBullMomma (02-28-2011),zato1 (02-28-2011)

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Can fuzzy rats harm my baby BP???

Quote Originally Posted by zato1 View Post
    thanks, but for doing so i have to turn on the ligth, id like to hear some more advices
    I used to breed ASF's for feeders. They are a bit more aggressive than other's like mice & regular rats.
    So that being said you should just take a flashlight and keep an eye on the feeding, keep a pair of tongs handy so if your BP don't get a good head strike you can use the tongs to keep the rats head from biting your bp. Or just to help squeeze the life out of the rat a little quicker. They may also scratch your bp to so again the tongs help.
    Also if you stun the rat it will still be alive and kicking, yet it will have less resistance. (knock it on the head with something hard before introducing it to your bp) just don't knock it out and kill it since you want to feed live.
    Shoot me a personal message if you have more questions, as I do have some experience with ASF's.
    Best of luck!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8-Ball For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zato1 View Post
    Ok, thats the question, can fuzzy rats bite my baby 107 grs BP, i am forced to feed live, because she doesnt care about FT (tried moving, warming them, the dark box, leaving the FT mouse all nigth and the nex morning its just there, i really tried all i imagine, every day she doesnt eat is valious wasted time, as she's just a baby), Fresh killed she strikes and bites, but doesnt constrict, she was eating live mice from the boy that sold her to me, he said he also tried hard getting her into FT, but its just not for her, i dont like live, but i love my snake and i dont want her to starve to die, so i will put tomorrow a fuzzy rat in her cage, but because she's picky i was thinking in leaving the rat in the cage, turning off the ligth and pray she eats, but i dont know if i can safely leave the rat wuth her, its not i dont want to supervise her because of lazzyness, its just i want to disturb her the lest in order she eats. please help me...
    Ah also don't be lazy man, besides it's one of the perks of owning a snake~watching them eat. Plus this is the time of year when they do want to be picky and or just not eat, especially a female.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8-Ball For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
    Ah also don't be lazy man, besides it's one of the perks of owning a snake~watching them eat. Plus this is the time of year when they do want to be picky and or just not eat, especially a female.
    LOL...don't think he said he was being lazy...he said he's not being lazy, but rather, is afraid of causing stress or fear that would prevent feeding.

As to that...the room doesn't have to be totally dark to feed your snake. Really, any time of day is fine, and even in a dim evening-time room, you should have enough ambient light to see by. Once you observe a good kill, then you can slowly step away and let the snake be to finish its meal without being disturbed.
    -- Judy

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Simple answer NO, A fuzzy can't hurt your snake at all, what I call fuzzy's can barely open there eyes. If it is a true fuzzy you can leave them in their unsupervised as long as you want.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BbyBoa For This Useful Post:

zato1 (02-28-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonluvr View Post
    I feed live prey to my snakes. I just stand there and make sure the snake gets a good strike and nice coil around the prey. I look to see where the prey item's head is at to make sure it cannot bite my snake. I then turn off the light and leave. I always check after fifteen minutes also to make sure they have eaten the prey so that it is not in the enclosure with my snakes unattended.
    thx, ill keep your suggestions in mind
    I used to breed ASF's for feeders. They are a bit more aggressive than other's like mice & regular rats.
    So that being said you should just take a flashlight and keep an eye on the feeding, keep a pair of tongs handy so if your BP don't get a good head strike you can use the tongs to keep the rats head from biting your bp. Or just to help squeeze the life out of the rat a little quicker. They may also scratch your bp to so again the tongs help.
    Also if you stun the rat it will still be alive and kicking, yet it will have less resistance. (knock it on the head with something hard before introducing it to your bp) just don't knock it out and kill it since you want to feed live.
    Shoot me a personal message if you have more questions, as I do have some experience with ASF's.
    Best of luck!
    thanks man, trust me i will if needed xD

im very lazy in a lot of stuff, but never about my pets.

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    LOL...don't think he said he was being lazy...he said he's not being lazy, but rather, is afraid of causing stress or fear that would prevent feeding.

As to that...the room doesn't have to be totally dark to feed your snake. Really, any time of day is fine, and even in a dim evening-time room, you should have enough ambient light to see by. Once you observe a good kill, then you can slowly step away and let the snake be to finish its meal without being disturbed.
    yeah thats what i meant, and ill try to get a little ligth, and take your sugestion. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BbyBoa View Post
    Simple answer NO, A fuzzy can't hurt your snake at all, what I call fuzzy's can barely open there eyes. If it is a true fuzzy you can leave them in their unsupervised as long as you want.
    it relaxes me a lot, thnx man, and for the record im giving her a 10-13 grs fuzzy rat, is that a fuzzy right?

Thanks
    if she is a picky eater, she won't eat the fuzzy even leave in the dark for over night. I have done this few times for one of mine, she just won't eat the dam rat

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mc5guy For This Useful Post:

zato1 (02-28-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast