Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,816

0 members and 2,816 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Why is my ball python acting like this? (video)

I tried live mice and live rats smaller than the one in this video. She reacts the same way to everything. She hasn't eaten for a month. I know it's not a long time for a BP but she is 9 months old and I want her to grow and shed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7F1zjW3t7A

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Scared of the rat.

Need to give the snake more hides to comfort it more. And leave it alone for 1-2 weeks after changed are made. Should help get it to eat.

Thanks

Re: Why is my ball python acting like this? (video)

what is the size of snake compared to its food! just a guess it looks very big for it?! have u thought of maybe fropping the size down a bit! maybe a large mouse?

Thanks
    You could also try putting the rat in a paper bag and putting the bag in the tank.

Thanks
    All above comments seem like a good idea. Tbh though, I've found that when switching to f/t you wanna offer them a smaller than normal food item. Like a rat pup for your bp. That rat looks a little big period though, not sure your bp could stomach it.

Cheers,
    Fatal

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Did you forget your password for your other account? Pyrosnake? If so let a mod know and they can delete one.

That is Carlotta right? If not then you are using someone elses picture..

I certainly hope she eats for you soon. She never once acted like that with me. It had to be the move to such a large tank. Do give her another hide and try a rat hopper, rat crawler, or mouse weanling. Something smaller that is alive but doesn't move much.

She just seems stressed and unhappy with all the excitement. A month isn't very long at her age and size so just give her about a week off and try again. Maybe just open the lid of her new tub and drop the rodent in. Do this at night with just enough light so she can see but isn't in total darkness. Don't let her see you.

She should snap out of this sooner or later. She would strike immediately every time for me. This is why I said I believed she would convert to F/T right away. I never thought she would become so freaked out. If she would just eat one time for you she would know there is nothing to be afraid of and she would get back that feeding response she always had.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    It looks like a fear / defensive strike to me. Just as suggested a smaller size food item may be in order, try quite small the poor little guy is quite terrified to get a strike like what you have in the vid. More hides and perhaps some over head cover too may help. Give him a week or more with out much activity before trying again.

The thing to keep in mind is they want to feel like they are watching you not you watching them.

Thanks
    Foschi: It's Dan. I'll have a mod delete one... I wanted my SN to be the same as my YouTube.

But yeah, I tried a rat pup last week. She kind of ignored it but I didn't keep it in all night. I'll get another tomorrow and try again. She'll eat eventually. I just can't wait until she does because this is no fun.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    I know it's hard to do but don't bother her at all between feeding attempts. Put at least 5-7 days in between attempts. I purchased a baby that acted just like this for far longer than yours is. She was eating well until she was with me. I just left her alone completely, added a hide to her tub, and one night she just decided to eat.

I'm not sure why some BPs do this but some just need more time to acclimate.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Yeah, try a smaller food item. Also because there's not point wasting larger food if she's not going to eat it.

Frankly, though, she looks nice and plump. How much does she weigh? I think she's just hit her first year mid-winter fast a little early. I'd switch to only offering every other week (to build appetite, lower stress, and preserve YOUR sanity) and offering very small food items. Get a small kitchen scale, record her weight in grams, and check her once a month to make sure she hasn't lost more than 30% of her weight--don't start worrying until then.

She really looks very healthy and fat here. If she wants to stop eating for a while, let her--she'll pick up eating again with a vengence in late spring or early summer.

I know it's hard not to worry when they do this, but really... don't worry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast