Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,746

4 members and 2,742 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Thinking About Starting A Small Breeding Business

Quote Originally Posted by cdavidson9 View Post
    From a dude born and raised right accross the river from you (Sonora/Tuolumne Co.), I say you go for it man. There are TONS of Rept enthusiasts in our area. All there is are a few mom and pop pet stores in both counties, hence NOTHING that has abundant reptile supplies/animals.
    thanks for the words of encouragement bro!! its awesome to meet people from the area.....i have a couple really nice racks im trying to get rid of. i figure since your from the area i'd let you know....if you'd like i can e-mail you pics and details

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    .1 Jungle Corn .1 Pueblan Milk
    .1 Rosy Boa 1 False Water Cobra
    2 Painted Turtles 1 Stink Pot
    1 Miniature Pinscher
    http://www.youtube.com/1980norcal

Thanks

I have done just that. Started in 2006. I clean poop. I sell snakes. Not getting rich, but I love it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave763 For This Useful Post:

minguss (03-17-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave763 View Post
    I have done just that. Started in 2006. I clean poop. I sell snakes. Not getting rich, but I love it.
    Thats awesome man!! I would love to get where you are....I would actually be happy to just keep working my non reptile job and break even with breeding snakes and pay for my hobby.....But I would love more then anything to make a living in the reptile world

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    1 Miniature Pinscher

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave763 View Post
    You are the man... man. Making that jump and going for it is something I truly envy. Good for you, and I wish you the very best in your success. To me, its not about the money, that's just a bonus. It's about the passion.

And hell... sometimes snake poop can be a passion. Way to go bro!

Registered User Brass City Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Good luck!! I wish I had a fam that would stand behind me all my fam do is call me crazy for haveing 2 snakes and for wonting more snakes.

Thanks
    Im hoping to one day be able to make a living off working with my snakes. But I doubt that day would ever come. See my problem would be every baby I produced and sold all that profit I got from them would probably just right back into my hobby. There are new morphs out every year and there probably always will be so I will be spending more money then I earn on snakes for the rest of my life lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    Im hoping to one day be able to make a living off working with my snakes. But I doubt that day would ever come. See my problem would be every baby I produced and sold all that profit I got from them would probably just right back into my hobby. There are new morphs out every year and there probably always will be so I will be spending more money then I earn on snakes for the rest of my life lol.
    I hear ya on that!! At this point I would be happy if I could breed and sell enough babies to just pay for my hobby and even come close to breaking even. That would be fine by me. Its what I love to do so if I could break even that would be awesome. Hopefully one day down the line maybe make some profit. The way I think about it is that all the big breeders out there like Mike Wilbanks, Justin Kobylka, Ralph Davis and Brian Barchyeck (excuse my spelling) all had to start somewhere so its possible.

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    1 Miniature Pinscher

Thanks
    I really think with an investment of a few thousand dollars a person could make their money back in a year or two and here is how:
    buy several normal females, breeding size can go for $100-$150
    buy several low end dom/co-dom males, spider, pastel, ...
    buy an albino male and 3-5 het females

you could be producing pastels, spiders, and any other dom male you have the first year, and maybe albinos and bees the second year. Could probably buy all of those snakes for under $2K, another $1K for racks, incubator, other equipment rats and anything else you need.

This wont make you rich, but with a small investment and growing slow and steady every year, I dont see why a person couldnt do this.
    8.28 ball pythons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billye1982 View Post
    I really think with an investment of a few thousand dollars a person could make their money back in a year or two and here is how:
    buy several normal females, breeding size can go for $100-$150
    buy several low end dom/co-dom males, spider, pastel, ...
    buy an albino male and 3-5 het females

you could be producing pastels, spiders, and any other dom male you have the first year, and maybe albinos and bees the second year. Could probably buy all of those snakes for under $2K, another $1K for racks, incubator, other equipment rats and anything else you need.

This wont make you rich, but with a small investment and growing slow and steady every year, I dont see why a person couldnt do this.
    I COULD NOT AGREE MORE WITH YOU... simply said. I can't wait to do this myself. I have only 5 animals so far (1.0 Pied, 0.1 Pastel het Pied, 0.1 Pastel Poss. Het Pied, 1.0 Pin, 1.0 Mojo). Just purchased a CB70 Vision rack, Reptile Basics 16qt - 16 level and an Animal Plastics 6-level 28qt. I think it's a pretty good start. Next purchase - Incubator. Next step.. Possiblities = ENDLESS. Good luck everyone! Do what makes you happy!

Thanks

I was wondering you say your going to buy a incubator next do you recommend buying one or letting the female do it herself? I was told by my local reptile store that he produced almost 90 eggs last year and only had like 4 slugs and he lets all of his females incubate there eggs because we dont know when to add more heat or take some away like the female does whats your take on that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast