Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

2 members and 3,219 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question regarding RI

I have another ball python that has starting showing signs of RI. I'm wondering if it is because when they are quarantined i keep them in an aquarium with a heat pad and heat light and then move them into a rack system. This is the 3rd time I've had a ball get RI after moving them from quarantine to the rack. They start showing signs about a week after the move. All the other balls in the rack are good and healthy. All my cages stay very clean. My tub temps are 92-94 on the warm side and 77 on the cool end. Humidity runs 60-65%. I'm using accurites in half the tubs in the rack. Belly heat from 11in. heat tape 9in. long controlled with a ranco on/off thermo. She refused food today and i knew something was up. She has been a great eater. Sure enough after a quick inspection she has a few bubbles around her mouth and made a few weezing sounds. We will be heading to the vet tomorrow for some baytril. She has been moved back to the quarantine and the tub soaking in water and bleach. Has anybody else had this problem? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
    1.0 cinnamon
    0.2 pastels
    1.0 spider
    1.1 mojave
    1.1 het pieds
    0.4 normals
    1.0 het albino
    0.2 albino
    and 22 other snakes lol

Thanks
    Anybody? I bought a new temp gun today and started checking temps in the cages and body temps. Seems most of my balls body temps are between 87-90. Does that sound right? Cool side air temps according to the accurite is 77 and surface temp with the gun on the cool side is also 77-78. Hot side most of the accurites are reading 92-94 but when i test with surface temp on top of the papertowel i'm reading 88-90. The rancos are set to 94 degrees. I think i may need to bump it up to 95-96. The ranco probe is attached to the flexwatt with clear packing tape. The other thing i'm wondering if my temp gradient is to wide. 92-77 is a pretty big gradient. Does everything sound correct? Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris
    1.0 cinnamon
    0.2 pastels
    1.0 spider
    1.1 mojave
    1.1 het pieds
    0.4 normals
    1.0 het albino
    0.2 albino
    and 22 other snakes lol

Thanks
    Check the temps of your quarantine tank. If your not having problems with the animals in the rack then its a problem with the quarantine tank right?

Thanks

Re: Question regarding RI

Thanks for the reply. I did that today. Temps on the warm side are 95 and coolside is 81 so they are slightly warmer than the rack. They do fine while in the quarantine tank. They usually start showing about a week after being put in the rack. I don't think the temps are that dramatically different it would cause RI. I'm not to worried about the RI. The other 2 got baytril treatments and are doing very well. This has also been spread out over the last year. They haven't been consecutive. It's only been 3 out of 15 animals. Just thought there was a similar pattern.

Chris
    1.0 cinnamon
    0.2 pastels
    1.0 spider
    1.1 mojave
    1.1 het pieds
    0.4 normals
    1.0 het albino
    0.2 albino
    and 22 other snakes lol

Thanks
    Your temps are straight. Is there an air vent above or near your rack?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hud556 For This Useful Post:

Chris Drake (02-19-2011)

Thanks
    I never thought of that. There is a vent fairly close. It's only about a foot over from being directly over the rack. Time to move some racks around. I can slide the rack over another 4ft or so. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chris
    1.0 cinnamon
    0.2 pastels
    1.0 spider
    1.1 mojave
    1.1 het pieds
    0.4 normals
    1.0 het albino
    0.2 albino
    and 22 other snakes lol

Thanks

Re: Question regarding RI

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Drake View Post
    I never thought of that. There is a vent fairly close. It's only about a foot over from being directly over the rack. Time to move some racks around. I can slide the rack over another 4ft or so. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chris
    That might be the culprit...