Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

1 members and 3,195 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Soon to be new Ball owner...a few questions

Hi guys, I have been browsing around this forum for a few months and have finally decided I am ready for a ball. I currently own a young cornsnake and would like to care for a ball python. I have a few questions. First off I was wondering if you though this sterilite container would be acceptable for a ball Python. Its basically a little drawer, that can be stacked with others.

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=185&section=1

Next I was wondering if you could double check my equipment list to see if Im missing anything key:

Thermostat (herpstat--i love the one for my corn)
    Hygrometer/thermometer combo
    Heat pad
    Two Hides (one on hot and one on cool)
    Aspen (shared with my corn )
    Separate feeding bin
    Duct tape (for taping on the heat pad)
    Smoldering iron (melting holes in the box)

I think thats about it. I look forward to hearing your comments and just wanted to say thanks for sharing all this great information.

-Johan

Thanks
    I wouldn't use the stacking drawrs, the walls are usually very thin and can be pushed out by an eager snake. I would just get a regular Rubbermaid/sterlalite tub and some binder clips. Much more secure. Also, if you go to stack them with snakes in multiple tubs, you're going to have escapees. The tub "lid" for one tub is the bottom of another, so when you slide out one drawer you are effectively opening two.

And you will want to use aluminum or foil tape to attach the heat pad. Duct tape will get sticky and fall off. The aluminum tape is safe to use for heating elements.

There really is no need for a separate feeding box. If you feed in the enclosure put down a paper towel or something so he doesn't grab aspen at the same time as the rodent.

Other than that you need a water bowl.

Lookin good.
    Last edited by cinderbird; 02-16-2011 at 12:18 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cinderbird For This Useful Post:

Johan (02-16-2011)

Thanks

Re: Soon to be new Ball owner...a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbird View Post
    I wouldn't use the stacking drawrs, the walls are usually very thin and can be pushed out by an eager snake. I would just get a regular Rubbermaid/sterlalite tub and some binder clips. Much more secure. Also, if you go to stack them with snakes in multiple tubs, you're going to have escapees. The tub "lid" for one tub is the bottom of another, so when you slide out one drawer you are effectively opening two.

And you will want to use aluminum or foil tape to attach the heat pad. Duct tape will get sticky and fall off. The aluminum tape is safe to use for heating elements.

There really is no need for a separate feeding box. If you feed in the enclosure put down a paper towel or something so he doesn't grab aspen at the same time as the rodent.

Other than that you need a water bowl.

Lookin good.
    Ahh yes a water bowl

The sterilite containers I linked above are actually just as thick as the standard boxes. They also dont share sides with other boxes. They are basically a box that slides in another box. They can be locked shut. (i know the ones you ere talking about as those were also present-and yes they were flimsy )

Thanks for the reply!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'd say use a container with more floor space, something like a 28qt or 32 qt sterilite would work very well. Definitely need a water bowl. Use aluminum foil tape, duct tape will quickly fail on you. I wouldnt worry about a separate feeding container, but if you want to use one that would be fine. Other than that, what's a 'smoldering' iron, I know a soldering iron works, but I've never heard of a smoldering iron..is that really something or a typo?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Powerspythons For This Useful Post:

Johan (02-16-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Powerspythons View Post
    I'd say use a container with more floor space, something like a 28qt or 32 qt sterilite would work very well. Definitely need a water bowl. Use aluminum foil tape, duct tape will quickly fail on you. I wouldnt worry about a separate feeding container, but if you want to use one that would be fine. Other than that, what's a 'smoldering' iron, I know a soldering iron works, but I've never heard of a smoldering iron..is that really something or a typo?
    Ill go for the bigger tub
    Yes it was a typo (and a brain fart )