Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,952

2 members and 2,950 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

What type of monitor is best for me?

I've been thinking lately about getting some type of monitor. The only problem is that I dont have room(or money) for a HUGE cage right now. So therefore I'm looking for something that could stay in a 4'x2'x2' cage, but I dont know all that much about monitors, so I was hoping someone could recommend some species of monitor that would be good for me.

Thanks

Re: What type of monitor is best for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerspythons View Post
    I've been thinking lately about getting some type of monitor. The only problem is that I dont have room(or money) for a HUGE cage right now. So therefore I'm looking for something that could stay in a 4'x2'x2' cage, but I dont know all that much about monitors, so I was hoping someone could recommend some species of monitor that would be good for me.
    Best Choice: Varanus acanthurus (a.k.a. Ackies)

They'll do fine in a 4x2x2 cage if you provide them with a warm basking spot, some rocks (or logs) to hide in, and plenty of food. Most the others are either too flighty, too expensive, or will get too big for that cage. Ackies are all the fun of the larger monitors in an apartment friendly package. Yellows will run you about $200. Reds about $300. Well worth the money. They don't get big (my breeders are around 18-22 inches) they are easy to handle (i.e., they can't take your finger off), and they 're easy to fee (Crickets, roaches, and hopper mice are a nice meal).

There are other dwarf monitors, but they're typically more expensive, not good for holding, or more difficult to care for. Don't listen to pet stores if they tell you the savs, niles, waters, etc. will grow slowly and do fine in that size of a cage. They'll outgrow a cage that size quickly. Plus they're not good "pet" species if you're not settled and ready to sacrifice a large area for them. Stick to the smaller guys and you'll probably enjoy keeping them more.

Thanks
    I vote ackies as well! They are great! They are incredibly intelligent and fun to watch

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: What type of monitor is best for me?

Thanks guys! Sounds like I'll be looking more into ackies this year!