Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,409

3 members and 3,406 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Talking Re: Here they are more Thyssa pics......DUW

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983 View Post
    Monitors are not dogs. Why are you treating it like one?

There are many places online to find good information about most monitors. If you need links to good monitor lizard specific sites, let me know.

Chances of you having a 'well behaved' healthy bluetail are one in 1000. They are very fierce monitors by nature....comparable to croc monitors. Good luck with the animal and be safe with your fingers.

Considering you have NOOOO idea what your talking about is very amusing to me! People say PitBulls, GTP's, ETB's and many more are very agrassive.. But don't you see some amazing nice wonderful ones? Not even once in a while it's all the time.. All monitors are smart independent creatures that need trust to be touched, I have seen more than a dozen Croc monitors that are PUPPY tame.. More than puppy tame, Any animal needs trust to build a relationship.. It's very likely that the animal with die due to it being stressed out so much, but obviously the owner can tell that it's being stressed. My Aunt Michelle (BPelizabeth) Is no downer to the reptile community since she takes AMAZING care of EVERYTHING that is in her grasp.. She wants EVERYTHING to be perfect doesn't matter what money she spends. It's pretty rude and funny you know NOTHINGGG about her at all, And to bag on her like that is hilarious, Considering many people know and LOVE my Aunt. This monitor is VERy HEALTHY and non stressed, Due to the fact that all it wants is attention... And you pretty much have to pry her out of the bathtub, and she gets a hissy fit when she's in her cage.. So next time you wanna be a jerk, Keep it to yourself cause you'll be Crapped on by a bunch of people including me. Keep your comments to your self since you don't know what you have been talking about throughhout these comments hahahaa. Learn your stuff Bro, And keep iin your head that everything is possible.
    Black and White Tegu's, Brazilian Rainbow Boa, HoggXSuriname Boa, Amazonian Milk Frog, Amazon Tree boa, Stimpson's Python, Nile monitor need I say more? We'd be here all day. Just ask, or look at my threads!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LegitReptiles For This Useful Post:

LizardPants (02-11-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    People say alligators can't be treated like dogs, given kisses and hugs, and left on a table without a taped mouth all day around a bunch of people....

I have no doubt that BPelizabeth is taking great care of her monitor. She will do everything in her power to give her the best of the best. When I was young I had a cute little white rabbit that I took out on the harness and it was just like the one on Monte Python and the Holy Grail. One day while I had him out on the harness he bit a chunk of rubber off my shoe to bite me. He was an evil little thing! And people say little white bunnies make great pets....

Thanks

Re: Here they are more Thyssa pics......DUW

Hi, fyi, Daniel may not have approached this thread with the best attitude, he has plenty to share and is a great bank of knowledge.

There is a visceral reaction with many against the idea that reptiles can be 'tamed'. I think Elizabeth realizes that no matter how tame her monitors can seem they shouldn't be trusted. They're simply not domesticated animals, and seeing as tame generally = domesticated, it's hard to justify the two.

Anyways, proceed with whatever this thread turned into. As I've said before, pretty melinus.
    Mike

5. The Following User Says Thank You to qiksilver For This Useful Post:

BPelizabeth (02-11-2011)

Thanks
    I have never been treated in this way on this forum before.

I never said anyone's care of the animal was bad. I did not call people names and speak badly of them. I asked a question concerning the things she was doing with the animal. I made a post with the intent of discussing things. I even offered help to references because she was talking about lack of good information. I repeatedly apologized if my post was not worded properly. Again I am sorry. I was just attempting for a FRIENDLY converation about monitor care. Obviously, it was a failed attempt.

I like to help people out and discuss reptiles. Look at my past input on the site. I was once a moderator. Threads that I took the time to develop are still some of the most frequented 'sticky' threads on the site. I am experienced with monitors and many other reptiles. Reptiles and talking about reptiles are my escape from the 'real world'.

I have been away from the site due to family issues and finally have an opportunity to come back to the site after months away....and in an attempt to talk things out with a new monitor keeper and find out why she was doing certain things with the lizard...I ask a question....and I get called rude, am told I have no idea what I am talking about, and get mocked and cursed at in a private message.

As stated so many times before, I am sorry I accidentially offended people with the posts......although I am still unable to figure out why it created so much hostility against me in the first place.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

7. The Following User Says Thank You to daniel1983 For This Useful Post:

Jeremy Browning (03-13-2011)

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks
    Daniel - first let me say I apologize that you were cursed at in a PM...that is never appropriate and I really really do not condone that. I really think it was just the way it was typed....how it came across. I apologize that you are feeling beat up about it. One thing I have noticed about monitor owners....you guys are fairly on the scientific side, quite blunt, and a bit short. Maybe misunderstood....kind of like some engineers.....lol Also I need to apologize as I am quite prideful as to how I keep my babies....hence I am very sensitive in regards to that!

I don't doubt that you have a ton of experience and that you could help!!! Lord knows.....I am a total noob at this. With that being said....I think its just overall how some come across. I know for me...whenever I have to tell someone that they are not paticularly doing it the best way....I try to approach it as gently as possible so that no one is ever offended. After all ppl tend to accept help more often when they dont feel like they are confronted.... so to speak!

To reiterate what Mike said......(and something I teach kids ALL the time)...even if you can "tame" something...there always is a chance that it could turn on you. Especially with things not domesticated. But even with dogs ...cats...etc. Do I think things can be tamed....sure. But never at the expense of the animals well being. I also tell kids at my shows.....EVERYTHING can bite....(yes even crickets...maybe not you...but they can bite).

To everyone who stuck up for me....I really appreciate you all for sticking up for me!! I really do. It does make you feel so loved! You know if I can ever help you....Im there in 2.2 seconds! But please dont curse at Daniel! We all have to remember that we all have at least 1 thing in common and that is Ball Pythons.

Ok...now everyone get together and hold hands and lets sing cuum bi ya. (no clue how to spell that one).
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
    One thing I have noticed about monitor owners....you guys are fairly on the scientific side, quite blunt, and a bit short. Maybe misunderstood....kind of like some engineers.....lol
    Ha ha....taking another shot at me J/k.

I am an engineer and a 'former' monitor keeper ....but you hit the nail on the head with that description..

Sadly, I don't have the time to keep any lizards monitors right now. I am sure you are finding out how demanding they can be on time. They are my favorite reptile to keep.

Monitor care may seem complex at times.....it isn't. Care for one monitor species can work for most monitor species....with slight modifications for size, habitat of origin, etc. The 'basics' can generally be applied across the board. Don't look for stuff specifically about your monitor species.....read about all species care you can find. It helps once you start seeing similarities in need.

Understanding them actually gets easier the more you have, so watch out
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

[QUOTE=daniel1983;1509307]Ha ha....taking another shot at me J/k.

I am an engineer and a 'former' monitor keeper ....but you hit the nail on the head with that description..

QUOTE]

Oh crap...seriously........I really had no idea ...sorry! Although that is kind a funny!
    Michelle

Thanks

The core issue I see in this thread seems to be a trend in male vs. female reptile keepers. They just seem to have different ideologies on reptile care. The guys seem to want to get down to the science. Girls want to give benefit of the doubt to biology, and some of them seem to feel every creature on earth needs affection to survive.
    At the center I really feel its nature v. nurture. Guys think thousands of years of primitive brain function leaves reptiles forever stuck in their ways (nature). Girls think love and hard work (nurture) can turn any animal into a great pet.

Note, this does not mean that either ideology is correct! Perhaps these two ideologies have no correlation to sex. I have simply noticed this trend in a few years of being in the hobby, maybe I should just do some more research, so to speak!

P.s.
    Great looking monitor! I think you commented on a pic of my tegu once. I put plenty of work into "taming" her as a baby. She is very well behaved now, but tegus are known for being easy to work with. Still, sometimes her prehistoric brain shines through and all I see is the behavior of a simple reptile with only food, thermo-regulation, and survival on its mind!

Sorry if this makes no sense or is somehow offensive. Maybe just esoteric philosophy.
    -Sam
    Last edited by SK_Exotics; 02-11-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    I probably did ......I LOVE tegus and was going to get one until Alex (legit reptiles) went on vacation and I took his right smack in the middle of mating season.....OYE. I have to say...he did scare me a little.

Interesting concept that you have.....never thought of it that way. I will say I certainly have a mothering thing with my babies.
    Michelle

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BPelizabeth For This Useful Post:

SK_Exotics (02-11-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LegitReptiles View Post
    Considering you have NOOOO idea what your talking about is very amusing to me! People say PitBulls, GTP's, ETB's and many more are very agrassive.. But don't you see some amazing nice wonderful ones? Not even once in a while it's all the time.. All monitors are smart independent creatures that need trust to be touched, I have seen more than a dozen Croc monitors that are PUPPY tame.. More than puppy tame, Any animal needs trust to build a relationship.. It's very likely that the animal with die due to it being stressed out so much, but obviously the owner can tell that it's being stressed. My Aunt Michelle (BPelizabeth) Is no downer to the reptile community since she takes AMAZING care of EVERYTHING that is in her grasp.. She wants EVERYTHING to be perfect doesn't matter what money she spends. It's pretty rude and funny you know NOTHINGGG about her at all, And to bag on her like that is hilarious, Considering many people know and LOVE my Aunt. This monitor is VERy HEALTHY and non stressed, Due to the fact that all it wants is attention... And you pretty much have to pry her out of the bathtub, and she gets a hissy fit when she's in her cage.. So next time you wanna be a jerk, Keep it to yourself cause you'll be Crapped on by a bunch of people including me. Keep your comments to your self since you don't know what you have been talking about throughhout these comments hahahaa. Learn your stuff Bro, And keep iin your head that everything is possible.
    Your assertion that you have seen more than a dozen tame croc monitors clearly shows how high on the dipstick your BS runs. Daniel is one of maybe six or so people who frequent this forum who know their varanids.

Tame croc monitors - you're a riot. Croc monitors are perhaps one of the poorest captive monitors you could hope to keep. The potential they have to inflict serious injuries on morons who think they are "dog tame" is high. More importantly, the potential that fools who think that they can be tamed could have on the reptile hobby is even higher.

Do us all a favor and think before you open that pie-hole of yours again. Not only did you make an ass of yourself in calling out someone who has more knowledge than you on this subject, but your stupid assertion of tameness may be read by someone even more misinformed than you who may actually take your words to task - and end up in the emergency room as a consequence.

.......and no - I'm not bagging on your Aunt - I'm bagging on you. My advice to you is think before you post any more drivel.

I read Daniel's posts and fail to see the rudeness in them. While his postings were direct, it was based on his experience with monitors and should be taken seriously. Only an insecure, immature and ignorant idiot would see antagonism in those posts.

To the jack-ass who sent him a nasty private message:

Go ahead and send one to me. Make it as nasty and confrontational as you can.

I've got the next three days off and sincerely look forward to spoon feeding you your own colon.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Christine (02-12-2011),Jeremy Browning (03-13-2011),Michelle.C (03-10-2011),mpkeelee (02-12-2011),qiksilver (02-12-2011),SK_Exotics (02-12-2011)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast