Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,223

0 members and 3,223 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Here they are more Thyssa pics......DUW

Quote Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
    First of all telling someone that the chance is one in 1000 is pretty much the same as highly unlikely. Sorry I misquoted you...to me...same thing. While I can understand your intentions.....it didn't come out well..
    Ha ha ha.... you don't understand. Maybe I don't know how to type. Mean bluetail = healthy bluetail. If you have an healthy bluetail, then most likely.....it will be aggressive. It was ment to say that he must be keeping it well if it is not 'well behaved'

As far as being disrespectful....no you were rude!!!. What makes you think that they shouldn't be allowed to come out of their cage and roam around and get some exercise?? Yes...she loves water and I give her a bath....she loves that time and swims around and ducks her head under the water. She lets me know when she is done by coming up to the edge of the bathtub. Apparently Quince monitors LOVE the water, hence why their cages need some type of pool. And finally YES....I took her in a car to the school to pick up my son. I work with kids and teach them about reptiles. So I wanted to see how she would do if and when I decide to take her into a class to spread some GOOD information about reptiles and teach kids about them.
    I have seen countless people think that all those things are fine. Their monitors didn't last long. So I asked your reasons for doing so out of concern and with the intent of giving advice. I didn't call you an idiot or speak bad of you. I asked a question....just that much and you jump my case.

Your aggressive response was uncalled for. I apologized.....then you call me rude. You wonder why people that are experienced with monitors give such a cold response. I get on this forum after a short time away and attempt to get into a conversation with someone about their keeping methods and get called rude for what was most likely my shortsighted lack of detail in my post and someones' jaded interpretation.

Thanks. Good luck with your monitor. I hope you and the animal the best. Monitors are great animals. I learned most of what I know from keeping monitors....they are unlike all others
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks
    All i have to say is if the monitor asks like a dog... let it be a dog
    I have no doubt that Michelle is taking care of this animal 100% perfect.
    A tame monitor is an unhealthy monitor? I disagree, reptiles do become tame, as most of us reptile owners know. It just takes patience, hard work and dedication.
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Spider

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DZ Reptiles For This Useful Post:

BPelizabeth (02-10-2011)

Thanks

I just dont get it!!! I was talking to my husband tonight and I said if this is how it was when I got my first ball python, the snake would be dead by now....and I would of never had another reptile. It really makes me just want to delete all of the Thyssa posts. Which is really a bummer as I was so excited to share her with everyone!
    You know I was thinking the same thing, if I had been talked to the way you have concerning your monitor about my ball python, she probably wouldnt be in the best enclosure and I wouldnt know anything I do about them now.

Please dont delete her posts!!! she is too cute!

I think that like others have said people forget how it was to need help and information. They also seem to forget that over the internet inflection and tone (two things we humans rely on heavily to decide how a comment or sentence is meant to come across) are not conveyed and they usually will be taken as harsh.

I have no doubt that Thyssa will thrive in your care and that you will do your best to treat her as what she is.. a loved member of your family. Dont let some harsh people get you too down!
    Lurker.Learner.Lover... Of all things creepy crawly and otherwise completely amazing!
    ~The Ladies~
    Normals ~Kaa & Zhena
    Mojave~ Samus Aran
    66%Het Caramel~ Zelda
    Cinny~ Phedre
    ~The Gents~
    100% het Caramel~ Mehen
    Super Pastel~ Cassanova
    Pastel~ Tank
    Cinny~ Jocelyn
    The Leopard Gecko~ Murphy's Patternless female~ George
    All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
    They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to K2exotics For This Useful Post:

BPelizabeth (02-10-2011)

Thanks
    I think the biggest problem with 'tame' monitors is people confuse sick ones for tameness.. Sort of like sick iguanas.

I've seen so many youtube videos of people claiming their savannah monitor "sleeps" on them, when in actuality it is closing its eyes out of fear, trying to 'make it go away' sort of. It's a bad sign the monitor is very stressed! But we see it as a human thing, and confuse the stress for comfort. That means a lot of poorly kept monitors.

Another problem with monitors is there is a heck heck HECK of a lot of wrong information, even if every other caresheet is right, the monitor caresheet is often WAY wrong..like saying Savs should eat rodents as a staple.. Thank goodness that idea is finally going away, the things are complete insectivores in the wild. (I'm very against rodent feeding in savs..one day when I have one, he/she will eat 90% insects hopefully. I'm already getting ready to start a variety of roach and millipede colonies for my future friend!)

The unfortunate thing about monitors is that they are so hardy. They go through so much pain and live still for years and years. This makes keepers think they are right and it is okay for them to keep treating their animals this way.

This is why monitor keepers are so touchy.. They love their animals and they see a lot of people do a lot of bad things with their animals, so they get very defensive. I have known people with actually tame monitors, but usually true tameness doesn't come for years and years, they are too smart, they are unlike other reptiles. We have to earn their respect, and more often then not, we don't, so monitors remain mean despite being perfectly healthy! Right now the only thing you've shown is your monitor outside the enclosure, and it's a fairly new addition to the home, so some people are going to be wary of the animal's well being. They are very easily stressed, they just show it differently than other reptiles often times, and stress doesn't always mean hissing and tail whipping!

I'm sure you are taking very good care of your monitor, but I understand other monitor keeper's points.. It takes a lot of work to care for monitors and it is very different than other reptiles, and yet they are so often impulse buys(of course they are, they are all beautiful!)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to purplemuffin For This Useful Post:

daniel1983 (02-10-2011),Nadamamasboy (03-10-2011),SK_Exotics (02-11-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DZ Reptiles View Post
    A tame monitor is an unhealthy monitor? I disagree, reptiles do become tame, as most of us reptile owners know. It just takes patience, hard work and dedication.
    I have to disagree with you too I believe there is no such thing as a tame monitor. I think they learn to tolerate people once they learn you are not dangerous....but they aren't tame.

Earning an monitor's 'trust' does take patience, hard work and dedication though. I once had some Storri that would hide at the sight of me in the room. It took more than two months before I could sit and watch them go about some normal behaviors without hiding myself. I spent a lot of time sitting still in front of an 'empty' cage to show I was no harm.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

She is adorable Michelle! I just love your stories and I look forward to more!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

BPelizabeth (02-10-2011)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Raise your hand if you feel the love!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

BPelizabeth (02-10-2011)

Thanks

She looks great,.. she reminds me of this Sulfur Monitor I wanted but the price was too steep.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bubblz For This Useful Post:

BPelizabeth (02-10-2011)

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks
    I am feeling the love Monica.....thank you everyone!
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
    I think the biggest problem with 'tame' monitors is people confuse sick ones for tameness.. Sort of like sick iguanas.

I've seen so many youtube videos of people claiming their savannah monitor "sleeps" on them, when in actuality it is closing its eyes out of fear, trying to 'make it go away' sort of. It's a bad sign the monitor is very stressed! But we see it as a human thing, and confuse the stress for comfort. That means a lot of poorly kept monitors.

Another problem with monitors is there is a heck heck HECK of a lot of wrong information, even if every other caresheet is right, the monitor caresheet is often WAY wrong..like saying Savs should eat rodents as a staple.. Thank goodness that idea is finally going away, the things are complete insectivores in the wild. (I'm very against rodent feeding in savs..one day when I have one, he/she will eat 90% insects hopefully. I'm already getting ready to start a variety of roach and millipede colonies for my future friend!)

The unfortunate thing about monitors is that they are so hardy. They go through so much pain and live still for years and years. This makes keepers think they are right and it is okay for them to keep treating their animals this way.

This is why monitor keepers are so touchy.. They love their animals and they see a lot of people do a lot of bad things with their animals, so they get very defensive. I have known people with actually tame monitors, but usually true tameness doesn't come for years and years, they are too smart, they are unlike other reptiles. We have to earn their respect, and more often then not, we don't, so monitors remain mean despite being perfectly healthy! Right now the only thing you've shown is your monitor outside the enclosure, and it's a fairly new addition to the home, so some people are going to be wary of the animal's well being. They are very easily stressed, they just show it differently than other reptiles often times, and stress doesn't always mean hissing and tail whipping!

I'm sure you are taking very good care of your monitor, but I understand other monitor keeper's points.. It takes a lot of work to care for monitors and it is very different than other reptiles, and yet they are so often impulse buys(of course they are, they are all beautiful!)
    I agree with you that the care sheets out there are SERIOUSLY lacking. Everyone one that I found on the internet for Thyssa continued to tell me that a yellow tree monitor and a Quince were the same. They also recommended rodents and other things that were not good for her. I also agree that there are many out there that will never really be tame. From what I read Quince are more docile than most. She was a breeders pet for 4-5 years prior to coming to me. As far as impulse....I can agree with that as well. This was NOT something I was thinking about getting but we fell in love with her and I am anal about how I take care of my animals. There is no doubt in my mind that she will not be healthy and happy.

Do I want ppl to help me and teach me more about her and what is in her best interest....of course. However I will not tolerate being approached such as I was. I go out of my way to help ppl that have less knowledge than I do. I also go out of my way to be nice and understanding to ppl. And lastly I go out of my way to give ppl the benefit of the doubt. I totally expect the same treatment. I take great pride in how I keep all of my reptiles and the research I do.

Monitors are not the only reptiles out there that are NOT being taken care of properly. Its truly across the board, but why is it so abrasive to get a message across. Its a total turn off to having a monitor! Maybe the fact that some ppl that have monitors are so abrasive that it really truly is hard to learn how to properly take care of them. You know the saying....more bees with honey!

I know that once I get this down....and get her perm cage done that I will never treat someone like this.....and I hope that helps someone else that maybe wasn't "planning" on buying a monitor but just fell in love with them.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast