Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,359

5 members and 3,354 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Formally Introducing Thyssa The Yellow Tree Monitor....

Actually it's more similar to a ball python and a burmese python. Not a butter and a lesser. THese animals are different species entirely. These people are trying to help you, don't be so dismissive.

It turned into this because taxonomy is important. Knowing what you own is good in order to provide proper care.

ALso, although in the same family, melinus is more similar to the mangrove monitors and grows a bit larger than the true tree monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
    Geez how did introducing my new monitor turn into all this....lol

from all the research I have done it seems almost like the whole...butter and lesser. Some say its the same some say its totally different. Finding valid information in regards to V. reisingeri is like pulling teeth and most of its in different languages. You can find information on V. melinus and in all areas they refer to it as Yellow monitor, yellow tree monitor or quince monitor. I have seen pictures of the two and to me it looks like one is heated and one is cold. Just as Thyssa is when she is out of her cage(a very washed out color)....and when she is in her cage basking(an irridecent almost neon green color).

By all means if I am wrong I would welcome the knowledge as I want to do what is best for the monitor. Some say feed fish...some studies have stated that only pellets and prawns were taken not actual fish. Some even state you can feed some dog food which I would think would definetly be a bad choice as it is filled with so many bi-products.
    Mike

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver View Post
    Actually it's more similar to a ball python and a burmese python. Not a butter and a lesser. THese animals are different species entirely. These people are trying to help you, don't be so dismissive.

It turned into this because taxonomy is important. Knowing what you own is good in order to provide proper care.

ALso, although in the same family, melinus is more similar to the mangrove monitors and grows a bit larger than the true tree monitors.
    Don't mistake my asking questions or doing research as dismissive! That is the furthest from the truth. Its not any different than looking at several care sheets and talking to ppl to find out the best husbandry methods. Bottom line I don't care if she is a one eye'd frog with horns....I liked her. And obviously taxonomy is important to know how to take care of each individual reptile. I think that is apparent in any of my posts. Not to mention I don't know many ppl that would spend that type of money on a reptile and then NOT do their homework on it, leading to the monitor dying. Its not like we just have ooddles of disposable cash here.

What I am asking is what is the difference...show me the information regarding the V. reisingeri species as with all my research (which was pretty much all day yesterday) there is not much out there. Other than of course ppl stating that they are different.

Look I am not trying to come off as a monitor expert.....Im not at all in fact just the opposite. This is my first monitor and nothing I thought I would ever get into. But with that let me say again, I am all about the research on how to take care of every reptile and with that research so far I have found nothing really different other than a few ppl stating that they are. As I also stated if you look at the pics on line....Thyssa looks like both depending on where she is.
    Last edited by BPelizabeth; 02-08-2011 at 10:33 AM.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

That's fine, just didn't come off that way in this particular thread.

V reisengeri is in the 'prasinus complex' which are the true tree monitors. These are the lithe, long monitors that you think of as the typical tree monitors.
    V melinus is more similar to a small doreanus. These are typically called Quince monitors. They're a bit longer and tend to be generally thicker, I'm sure you know what I mean. The melinus are also a bit less arboreal.

This being said, I find Thyssa to be clearly melinus by pictures although I'm no expert. They'll both required hot basking spots, lots of climbing and higher humidity, but I have heard from keepers that melinus tend to stay lower in the cage and will dig more than the tree monitors.

Here's a quick summary of natural history: http://www.monitor-lizards.net/speci...s/melinus.html

And check out Biawak Volume 4 Number 3 for an account of breeding this species that covers housing and general care.

Quote Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
    Don't mistake my asking questions or doing research as dismissive! That is the furthest from the truth. Its not any different than looking at several care sheets and talking to ppl to find out the best husbandry methods. Bottom line I don't care if she is a one eye'd frog with horns....I liked her. And obviously taxonomy is important to know how to take care of each individual reptile. I think that is apparent in any of my posts. Not to mention I don't know many ppl that would spend that type of money on a reptile and then NOT do their homework on it, leading to the monitor dying. Its not like we just have ooddles of disposable cash here.

What I am asking is what is the difference...show me the information regarding the V. reisingeri species as with all my research (which was pretty much all day yesterday) there is not much out there. Other than of course ppl stating that they are different.

Look I am not trying to come off as a monitor expert.....Im not at all in fact just the opposite. This is my first monitor and nothing I thought I would ever get into. But with that let me say again, I am all about the research on how to take care of every reptile and with that research so far I have found nothing really different other than a few ppl stating that they are. As I also stated if you look at the pics on line....Thyssa looks like both depending on where she is.
    Mike

Thanks
    yes I have seen this info on V melinus just cannot find any information on V reisengeri so as to do a comparision. If you have a link to the info on V reisengeri I would greatly appreciate it.
    Michelle

Thanks

It's simply an insular form of a previously described group, like beccarii are from Aru and boehmi is from Waigeo, and it's believed the care is reflected as such. This has been the case thus far. There are many accounts of successful keeping and breeding of these prasinus-complex animals.

I believe the first account of this species can be found in Biawak as well, v4#2.

And I made a spelling error previously, it's reisingeri... whoops.

Anyway, good luck, melinus are underappreciated in captivity... and take lots of pictures and post them here. Also, successes and failures in husbandry would be great.
    Mike

Thanks
    Thank you for that. I will continue to post pics when I can get them....she is not fond of picture taking....lol. Give me a while to see what works with her and I will try to come up with some do's...and hopefully not many don'ts. Right now she is still so new and getting use to us as we are getting use to her.
    Michelle

Thanks
    Michelle, Thyssa is so cute. I like that she claimed your living room for a playground...too funny !

sent from my EVO , with Tapatalk
    Jeff Davis
    Facebook -yes
    1.0 Normal BP (Rescue, caught)
    1.0 Albino BP (high contrast)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

BPelizabeth (02-08-2011)

Thanks
    cant wait till my sav get a lil bigger so he can roam the house..
    Current snakes
    0.0.1 11 white throat monitor
    0.1 09 pastel 100%het albino
    0.1 93 redtail boa (baby)
    0.1 dwarf platty retic
    1.0 white lip python
    1.1 11 tiger retics
    0.1 10 super tiger lavender albino retic
    1.0 wc green anaconda
    1.0 09 white phase albino retic 10' (jason gaspar)
    0.1 09 tiger retic 13.5'
    0.1 09 african rock python
    1.0 09 burmese python het albino (mitch)
    0.1 09 albino boa
    0.1 09 hogg island boa
    0.1 11 albino burm
    0.1 wc unknown burm
    1.0 09 rottwieller/german shepard mix (ace)
    1.0 09 savannah monitor

Past snakes... Too many to list

10. The Following User Says Thank You to johnlebel97 For This Useful Post:

BPelizabeth (02-08-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver View Post
    That's fine, just didn't come off that way in this particular thread.

V reisengeri is in the 'prasinus complex' which are the true tree monitors. These are the lithe, long monitors that you think of as the typical tree monitors.
    V melinus is more similar to a small doreanus. These are typically called Quince monitors. They're a bit longer and tend to be generally thicker, I'm sure you know what I mean. The melinus are also a bit less arboreal.

This being said, I find Thyssa to be clearly melinus by pictures although I'm no expert. They'll both required hot basking spots, lots of climbing and higher humidity, but I have heard from keepers that melinus tend to stay lower in the cage and will dig more than the tree monitors.

Here's a quick summary of natural history: http://www.monitor-lizards.net/speci...s/melinus.html

And check out Biawak Volume 4 Number 3 for an account of breeding this species that covers housing and general care.

I agree Mike, it looks nothing like a reisngeri.

As for it being called quince or a yellow - they've been used interchangeably for years.

As for diet - the advice you've been given regarding going light on the rodents and heavier on the fish, whole prawns, poultry and insects is spot on.

As for husbandry - you're gonna need a hot, hot spot, lotsa room, a nice big water container and the ability to defeat that Arizona dryness........

Thanks
    So funny you jumped in here as I was going to email you about this. Since I could not find anything on reisngeri I though...hmmmmm....you are probably one of the best ppl I know that would be able to answer my questions. I just didn't want to bug you during the busy season.

Yea Mike and I have been communicating in PM and he has given me some places to do more research on the differences. Plus another website that does more with the monitors. Huge help.

Sooooooooooo once I get this done I will post the differences on here so that ppl can be more aware. It took me forever to find the info I did find and it was sparse at best.

What about the liver? Right now I am mixing her turkey with liver?? And why the bugs...(I seriously hate the bugs)....its not on any of the care sheets I have found other than when they are young.
    Last edited by BPelizabeth; 02-08-2011 at 11:27 PM.
    Michelle

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast