Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,159

1 members and 3,158 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks

Wine Cooler Incubator Questions

I am about to build an incubator out of a 52 bottle Vissani wine cooler from HD but have a couple questions. How close can the egg bins sit next to the heat tape? I'm considering lining the sides of the cooler but will have less than 1/2 " between the tub lids and the heat tape on the walls and a little better than 1" from the actual side of the tubs. I don't think that I can tape the heat tape to the back wall as I would only be able to get 2' of heat tape. I am guessing that I will need 3-4 feet of heat tape ?? Does that sound about right? Can I stack the tubs on top of each other or does they need to be placed on a shelf to allow air between containers? Can I use Sterilite 6.2 Qt tubs? (15 x 11.5 x 3.25) part #1716. I would be able to fit 10 tubs if I use a combination of those tubs and the standard 6 qt(#1642) tubs.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Thanks

Re: Wine Cooler Incubator Questions

Can I ask you why are you lining the cooler, and with what? It is a cooler and is already insulated. I looked to the site and the cooler is only 32.5" tall. So that would give you around 28" inside, if thats the case, you should be able to use like 2 feet of 11" Flexwatt. I would put 2 small computer fans in there to circulate the air so the top is the same temp as the bottom. And when you have the air circulating, your tubs can be closer to the Flexwatt (which I would put on the back).

Here is a couple pictures of a Pepsi cooler that I recently converted to an incubator.

Inside with fans, thermostat probe and thermometer wires.

hope this helps.

1.0 Spinner
    1.1 Mojaves
    1.2 Pastels
    1.0 Black Pastel
    0.3 Normals
    1.0 Anerytheristic Corn
    55 gal. African Cichlids

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    I would not put my tubs that close to the heat tape but if you do you will want to test it for awhile to make sure the heat that close doesn't dry up the humidity in the tubs.
    Stacking is no problem just make sure there is adequate airflow to circulate the heat.
    If I was to add insulating to a cooler it would be on the outside though...

When did Pepsi start making Budweiser Dave?
    Nice incubator
    Last edited by snakesRkewl; 02-07-2011 at 01:30 PM.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    Sorry, I meant line the sides with heat tape I was a bit tired when I wrote all that and wasn't entirely sure it made sense. Anyhow, I ended up setting up the incubator on Sunday with 2 feet of 11" Flexwatt on each side and installed (1) 3" cpu fan at the moment. So far it only fluctuates +/- .3 degrees using a Herpstat but I do not have any tubs in there yet. I will set up the tubs today and try to get some photos on here before the day is over ... please feel free to critique as this is my first attempt at an incubator and breeding Ball Pythons so obviously I do not want any issues Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post

When did Pepsi start making Budweiser Dave?
    Nice incubator
    You caught that ? It has a Pepsi sticker on the other side, I took one off on the right side.

1.0 Spinner
    1.1 Mojaves
    1.2 Pastels
    1.0 Black Pastel
    0.3 Normals
    1.0 Anerytheristic Corn
    55 gal. African Cichlids

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 88Snakes View Post
    Sorry, I meant line the sides with heat tape I was a bit tired when I wrote all that and wasn't entirely sure it made sense. Anyhow, I ended up setting up the incubator on Sunday with 2 feet of 11" Flexwatt on each side and installed (1) 3" cpu fan at the moment. So far it only fluctuates +/- .3 degrees using a Herpstat but I do not have any tubs in there yet. I will set up the tubs today and try to get some photos on here before the day is over ... please feel free to critique as this is my first attempt at an incubator and breeding Ball Pythons so obviously I do not want any issues Thanks

Sounds good so far. Looking forward to some picts.

1.0 Spinner
    1.1 Mojaves
    1.2 Pastels
    1.0 Black Pastel
    0.3 Normals
    1.0 Anerytheristic Corn
    55 gal. African Cichlids