Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,276

1 members and 3,275 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Attention all Tortoise Owners!

I'm sure some of you are aware of this, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention since I haven't seen it mentioned on here.

If you have any species of tortoise, you probably have never seen it drink water. Most tortoises get their water from plants, primarily cactus in the wild. At the zoo I work at we have a Cali. Desert Tortoise and an African Spurred Tortoise. We used to have two other African Spurs and both of them had bladder stone problems due to dehydration (all of our animals are rescues). After talking to people at UIC we found out that feeding them high water-content vegetables was very important for any tortoises health.

We use cucumber, and feed a whole cucumber every day and our current tortoise had bladder stones that had to be surgically removed a few years back and now is completely free of them since we started feeding the cucumber.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blackcrystal22 For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (07-20-2011),Anya (06-24-2011),hoax (02-09-2011),MarkieJ (02-15-2011),The Bears (07-20-2011)

Thanks
    Just a bump for anyone who didn't see it.

Thanks

Re: Attention all Tortoise Owners!

i used to soak the vege in the clean water few minutes before feed my tortoise..it make vege fresh and rigid containing water..thanks for the info..

Thanks
    i have seen both my torts drinking from their water bowls. happens almost every day.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucas339 For This Useful Post:

muddoc (07-20-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas339 View Post
    i have seen both my torts drinking from their water bowls. happens almost every day.
    As above, I see my Aldabras drinking water from their pond at least once per week. However, I still soak them at least once per week, and every time I put them in the tub, I watch them drink in there as well.

This is not intended to take away from the importance of the original post, as I still believe it is a good practice to feed items high in water content to help ensure the torts are getting plenty of water. Mine also love to eat watermelon, which is a great source of water. My torts also love to eat Jade, Purselaine and other succulents that are high in water content.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muddoc View Post
    As above, I see my Aldabras drinking water from their pond at least once per week. However, I still soak them at least once per week, and every time I put them in the tub, I watch them drink in there as well.

This is not intended to take away from the importance of the original post, as I still believe it is a good practice to feed items high in water content to help ensure the torts are getting plenty of water. Mine also love to eat watermelon, which is a great source of water. My torts also love to eat Jade, Purselaine and other succulents that are high in water content.
    Agreed, I see my leopard torts drink all the time but still dehydration is something you should not take lightly.