Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,081

2 members and 3,079 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,132
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda

Thread: Need advice

Thanks

Need advice

Soo i have a beautiful Normal female BP, still a youngling that iv'e had since summer, no problems with her at all, she's takes ever rat pup i throw her way. Now before i start i have her in a tub with newspaper annd and uth. Now in the summer and everything her temp was fine low 90's/high 80's now that its winter, i have my windows insulated and all, but her tub temp dropped and is now at 80 degrees, i tried taping some hole, and tried the towel on the lid part but 81 i think is the hotest it gets, any tips on how i can possibly make it warmer? im almost tempted on seeing if putting her in a 10 gallon take with the uth and putting tin foil on top to see if that helps, someone help plz?
    1.0 Fire
    1.0 Kitten

Banned
    Thanks
    I am assuming since you are saying temps dropped to 80, you are referring to hot side. With that being said, I am also assuming you don't have a thermostat.

Last question of all is, what are you measuring temps with?

Now the answer to your issue is quite simple.
    1) Go get enough flewatt to cover the lid of the tub (11" flexwatt)
    2) Get corkboard found at Micheals and tape that down on top of the flexwatt to insulate the heat
    3) Use something to control the temp and now you have a nice ambient heater.

Alternative to step 1 is:
    Get 3 or 4 inch flexwatt and wrap around 3 sides of the tub instead of the top. Both will work fine.
    Last edited by MitsuMike; 01-29-2011 at 03:18 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MitsuMike For This Useful Post:

blushingball419 (01-29-2011),sho220 (01-29-2011)

Thanks
    Do you have a thermostat for That uth? If you do maybe your probe is in the wrong spot. It should be on the floor of the tub on the hot spot. The whole tub shouldn't be 92.f the hot spot should. If your ambient temps are 80 that's fine. Even using tubs the hot side should be 90-92f and the cool end 80-85.f. It was Warmer in the summer for the obvious hot weather. But it also could have been too hot at times. If you don't have a thermostat with that uth you run the risk of over heats, death, and thermal Burns. I've seen uth's melt tubs all together. Hope this helps.
    Morgan

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Re: Need advice

Quote Originally Posted by MitsuMike View Post
    I am assuming since you are saying temps dropped to 80, you are referring to hot side. With that being said, I am also assuming you don't have a thermostat.

Last question of all is, what are you measuring temps with?

Now the answer to your issue is quite simple.
    1) Go get enough flewatt to cover the lid of the tub (11" flexwatt)
    2) Get corkboard found at Micheals and tape that down on top of the flexwatt to insulate the heat
    3) Use something to control the temp and now you have a nice ambient heater.

Alternative to step 1 is:
    Get 3 or 4 inch flexwatt and wrap around 3 sides of the tub instead of the top. Both will work fine.
    That's a great idea and one I've never heard of...definitely beats a heat lamp...of course nothing beats a dedicated snake room...it's my favorite room, especially during the winter months...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

MitsuMike (01-29-2011)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    That's a great idea and one I've never heard of...definitely beats a heat lamp...of course nothing beats a dedicated snake room...it's my favorite room, especially during the winter months...
    Haha I hope to have that soon....the only cage i need to use this in is my Burms christmas tree tub to keep ambient temps in the 82 range seeing the tub is 4.5 feet long, and it works GREAT. Cheap mans RHP. haha Have a real RHP on the way for his new T70.
    Last edited by MitsuMike; 01-29-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Knytemare View Post
    ...i tried taping some hole, and tried the towel on the lid part but 81 i think is the hotest it gets, any tips on how i can possibly make it warmer? im almost tempted on seeing if putting her in a 10 gallon take with the uth and putting tin foil on top to see if that helps, someone help plz?
    Taping holes, wet towels, and aluminum foil treatment are ways to retain/regulate humidity. They won't affect the temps that much...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."