Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,329

0 members and 3,329 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    My husbands' snake is a female RTB and is a big baby when it comes to getting her out of the cage. A snake hook would be a good idea to use to get their attention on that they're going to be handled and not dinner. It's not fun having an 8ft snake eyeing you like you're next on the menu through glass. This past year I've stopped getting her out on my own due to her growth in length and girth. I could handle her just fine from 6-7ft but 8ft is just too much snake for me, and I only hold her when husband's around just in case. He carries her on his shoulder but when she does wrap around him he keeps an arm between her and his neck. This gives her something to balance on a bit better and him from not feeling as squished.

Thanks

Re: Are red tail boa's dangerous animals?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyther83 View Post
    Interesting- I do that with my hook as well, but I had no idea thats what it was meant for. I always thought the hook was for picking them up. I have to use a hook on my Bredli because at the moment I have her in a deep aquarium and she doesn't like being approached from above. Many have told me that snakes prefer to be contacted from the side as they view predators as being above them. At least in this case it seems to be true, because when she is on the top of the tank and she is at eye level she is completely timid.

I'm getting some animal plastics cages when I get my tax return.
    It depends on the snake. People use hooks to handle hots as well as to support the head of an aggressive snake. In your situation, it would make sense to lift your bredli with a hook, but a big boa is much too bulky to be supported entirely by a hook, and it's really unnecessary with boas, as long as you have a way of communicating that they aren't going to be fed. (I don't actually own a snake hook as of yet, I actually "hook train" my boas with an extra large clothes hanger. )

AP's are the best, I'm sure you're going to love yours!

Thanks

Great statements in here; respect the animal, don't be stupid, every animal is unique. Remember that snakes are wild animals who learn to tolerate humans. They're primitive. You're bigger than he/she is and they just want to make sure they aren't going to be eaten.

My Surinam boa girly who's now, what...5 years old, 7 or 8 ft and 20lb of solid muscle? She's big and yeah, if I was stupid, she could kill me. When she's being held, she always squeezes hard, regardless that I have always been very gentle with her and giving her a good amount of handling - it's just her. Squeezy. I sure as heck am not gonna put her in a position to possibly harm me or anyone else - I keep control and all things are happy and slithery - or squeezy, as the case may be. =)

Her behavior is that generally, after being all squeezy and slithery, she realizes no one is going to eat her and then she gradually relaxes and is a joy to hold.
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

Good advice guys! I just got my first Red Tail and am reading all I can... He's still a baby but hope that with time will get to know him so that by the time he is full grown, I know what to and not to do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123