Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,152

2 members and 2,150 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Utterly despicable Pet Store

There is a pet store locally in Lumberton, NC that, among other things, sells Ball Pythons. I've only been in the store once, but won't be returning. The Ball Pythons were housed in glass aquariums and in each corner of the tank was a pile, and I mean a PILE of feces. There were also various chunks of what appeared to be multiple sheds. They looked to be sub-adult age and if I had to guess, I'd say the cages had never been cleaned since they were put in. I asked to speak with the person in charge of reptile care, but they said he wasn't in that day. Is there anything that can be done about this? Any organizations or authorities who can either take these snakes away or force them to use proper husbandry practices?

Thanks

Re: Utterly despicable Pet Store

Print off caresheets from here and confront the manager of the store, not the reptile department. That's animal abuse. The ASPCA has information on the penal code for all states and if you need to print that off too. Give them the caresheets, and give them a certain amount of time to fix it [be reasonable, don't give them an hour or a day, maybe a week or two depending on how bad it is and what needs to be fixed], tell them of the time limit and that you'll call the police and report them for animal abuse. Come back after that amount of time is up and if it's not better call the police. Here's the link to the ASPCA's website to find out what the laws are in your state. If that can't help you call the police department who has jurisdiction for the area the pet store is in and talk to them about what you can do and who to contact.
    1.1.0 Ball Pythons [Sparks & Zoey]
    0.1.0 Sandfire x Giant German Citrus Bearded Dragon [Isis]
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko Tattoo [Dorian Gray]
    1.0.0 Fiance [Jordan]

I'm a girl that likes reptiles, tattoos, tech, cars, and F1 races. Now if only I had more room in my house for computers and tanks, and a huge garage for cars and trucks...

Click here to check out Threadless.com!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maverickgtr View Post
    Print off caresheets from here and confront the manager of the store, not the reptile department. That's animal abuse. The ASPCA has information on the penal code for all states and if you need to print that off too. Give them the caresheets, and give them a certain amount of time to fix it [be reasonable, don't give them an hour or a day, maybe a week or two depending on how bad it is and what needs to be fixed], tell them of the time limit and that you'll call the police and report them for animal abuse. Come back after that amount of time is up and if it's not better call the police. Here's the link to the ASPCA's website to find out what the laws are in your state. If that can't help you call the police department who has jurisdiction for the area the pet store is in and talk to them about what you can do and who to contact.
    Yeah, piss the guy off, that's what you want to do.

Or, go in and see if it's really the reptile guy's fault. Without knowing, you don't know. And I'm pretty sure that, with one single trip to this store, the OP doesn't know much about it or the people working there. If the OP is also a newb, that tank may or may not be as bad as he thought.

If you came in my store with an attitude or threatening me with the cops, I'd laugh, kick you out, and then laugh at you again later when I made fun of you for my customers.

Unless I really was the tool this guy may or may not be, speaking of the store owner.

Going straight to whatever authority you can find may be all well and good, but the police don't deal with perstore crap, literally.

There is no doubt some sort of Animal Control that regulates petstores. Go to your local pound and ask them who to contact.

Calling the cops for a poopy tank is.... let's just say 'wasteful' and leave it at that.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

I'm not saying just go in yelling and screaming and calling the cops for poop in a tank. When I think "utterly despicable" I'm thinking disgusting conditions, with improper lights, heat, humidity, everything. Yelling and screaming won't get anything done because people close up and generally reject what's being yelled at them. Maybe confront was a bad word to use but he needs to speak to someone in charge and get the situation on the tanks and the conditions. If they just haven't been cleaned ok, then they need to be cleaned and keep being cleaned. If the lights and everything is wrong, then a caresheet from here or some other site with good caresheets can go a long way.
    1.1.0 Ball Pythons [Sparks & Zoey]
    0.1.0 Sandfire x Giant German Citrus Bearded Dragon [Isis]
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko Tattoo [Dorian Gray]
    1.0.0 Fiance [Jordan]

I'm a girl that likes reptiles, tattoos, tech, cars, and F1 races. Now if only I had more room in my house for computers and tanks, and a huge garage for cars and trucks...

Click here to check out Threadless.com!

Thanks

I'll go back in and get some pictures of the tanks, some temps with my infrared thermometer, take some notes on the overall husbandry issues, then speak with the manager. Maybe it truly is just an issue of no one knowing better, and the responsibility being given to someone who doesn't have a clue. Hopefully the manager will be receptive to the care issues and fix them. If not, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I'll post pictures after I can get down there next.