Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,708

0 members and 2,708 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,559
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Which one should i get?

Ok so i plan on getting two of these hides (CLICK THE LINK)
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes/

Which size should i get for a 28qt tub with a 6 month old about 19"- 22" female ball python.Should i just get the extra small ones or should i get large.It would really help me if you could send measurement of the hides like these you have or which one would fit the best in a 28qt tub.Thanks!
    Why? Why do humans always look to the sky? Why do you try so hard to fly when you don't have any wings? We'll run on our own legs. - Kiba "Wolf's rain"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Well it says on the site, that a medium will fit a 28qt tub, but a medium will be too large for your snake.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    I feel really really stupid lol, i clicked on it and it says the sizes, i see now lol. Reading really is fundamental!
    Why? Why do humans always look to the sky? Why do you try so hard to fly when you don't have any wings? We'll run on our own legs. - Kiba "Wolf's rain"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Re: Which one should i get?

Quote Originally Posted by ballpython1237 View Post
    i feel really really stupid lol, i clicked on it and it says the sizes, i see now lol. Reading really is fundamental!
    , knew it was an oversight
    Last edited by llovelace; 01-25-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    Yeah,but i am thinking of going medium because i would hate to buy the small ones and they end up being to small ,what do you guys think for a 19"- 22" ball python hide size i should get go medium or go with the small?

Thanks

I would get a combo pack if you can afford it. Go with the small for now. BP's like really tight dark places. You'll be surprised how long she uses it. Then, when she's sticking out of it, move her a size up! You'll have to increase hide sizes as she grows anyway, so I say buy a combo pack. The idea of using a big hide from the start is better in theory than in practice. They still feel too vulnerable in big open hides. At her size, she'd probably be happy in a 15 quart tub with the small hide.

I keep mine in that size until about 450 grams before moving them to the 32 quart tub

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamesa2580 View Post
    I would get a combo pack if you can afford it. Go with the small for now. BP's like really tight dark places. You'll be surprised how long she uses it. Then, when she's sticking out of it, move her a size up! You'll have to increase hide sizes as she grows anyway, so I say buy a combo pack. The idea of using a big hide from the start is better in theory than in practice. They still feel too vulnerable in big open hides. At her size, she'd probably be happy in a 15 quart tub with the small hide.

I keep mine in that size until about 450 grams before moving them to the 32 quart tub
    I ordered Two smalls and Two mediums about 2days ago.Thanks though!

Thanks

well i have a 6 month old female bp (length unknown) and 2 of those hide boxes (both smalls) and she's JUST starting to be a tight fit in them with an empty belly. with a full belly the hide boxes will sit ontop of her but i've heard they like the tight fit and that they dont mind lookin' like a turtle at times. i will warn you though the size of the smalls will throw you off big time the first time you see 'em. they really do look tiny but my girl fits in 'em so...hey i figure she aint complainin' so it MUST be ok for now huh?
    i think i'll upgrade to mediums soon though ...

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    0.1 mojave ball python (Nyx)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Hemera)
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    3.4.? rats (? = litter coming any day now)
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"
    0.0.1 pied cockatiel 0.0.1 white bellied caique 0.0.2 guinea pigs

Thanks

Yeah i read they like small hides that tight fits because it makes them feel more safe and secure, kind of like a burrow and being it's so cramper they believe nothing can get to them there.

I doubt the small hides will be too small if anything they will be the perfect fit and i ordered some medium ones too so when it is time to move up to larger hides i got that covered.

Thanks
    Well the hides came today and she can just barley fit in the small ones, but she can fit in them so i will use the small hides for the time and will probably have to switch to the mediums in a a matter of weeks to months, it looks like she is about to go into shed.