Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,120

1 members and 1,119 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks
    Thanks

Aspen or Eco Earth

The title basically says it all. I want to know from experienced or not experienced ball python owners, which substrate is the best. Aspen is probably the most used, but does it hold humidity in a storage tub? I heard eco earth is very good at holding humidity and if i use eco earth in a storage tub, will there be too much humidity?

thnxs for all replies

Thanks

Re: Aspen or Eco Earth

Quote Originally Posted by RyanLuvSnakez View Post
    The title basically says it all. I want to know from experienced or not experienced ball python owners, which substrate is the best. Aspen is probably the most used, but does it hold humidity in a storage tub? I heard eco earth is very good at holding humidity and if i use eco earth in a storage tub, will there be too much humidity?

thnxs for all replies
    Wow, Im surprised Im the 1st one to comment.. I myself have been using Aspen for a month or so but am having trouble keeping my humidity up. I have soaked sphagnum moss in my tanks. That helps but not enuff. I will be switching to the Eco Earth on the next tank cleaning due to numerous posts about holding moisture well.

As far as too high of humidity levels I doubt it will become a problem. I've heard you cant have too much unless it is condensating on the tank glass or tub sides.. Im sure you'll get your answers..
    "Anything goes when everything's gone"

0.1 Beautiful Wife
    2.0 Teenagers
    0.1 abNormal BP
    2.0 English Mastif & Blue Healer
    0.0.1 Betta

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I use a 50/50 mix of the two and it is working out great in my tanks

Thanks

Re: Aspen or Eco Earth

Aspen is fabulous because it doesn't get all over your snakes like the eco earth can, but it deeefinitely lacks in humidity, even with the moss. I personally love Aspen, but found out that I'm allergic to it! Ugggh. I had hives everywhere my snakes touched and now I'm stuck with coconut and reptibark! Grrr..

Thanks
    Just wanna add-
    Only problem with the ecoearth getting all over the snakes is that I -swear- it makes my little milksnake even FASTER. lol! He's a slippery one to begin with though, so who knows.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aspen does not hold humidity and has a tendency to mold.

Eco earth is a bit too messy for my taste at least when it comes to snakes.

I prefer Cypress mulch, no mess, no mold and holds humidity great.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

1stpalindrone (02-16-2011),smd58 (02-18-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I have an ethical issue with cyprus so I switched to eco earth (coco coir) it is messy. I does hold humidly really well and at least in my area is many many times less expensive than anything else unless you can get free newspaper I don't get it delivered and tend not to read them so I have to scrounge or get a subscription just to use with snakes and that is actually more expensive.

I started with aspen but it is very expensive here for some unknown reason.

Coco coir comes it three states high compressed blocks, low compressed blocks and loose. the high compressed blocks (9:1) are easy to store but must be expanded with water. The low density (7:1) blocks can be expanded with water or you can break it apart with your hands and a small amount of water. I use a low density blocks and use as little water as I can. It get 88% humidly for the first while and keep an eye out for condensation. It will drop and if it gets too low just grab out a handful or two add some more water to that and let it draw it up. Sprinkle it back in the enclosure.