Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

0 members and 3,281 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: tanks vs tubs

Thanks
    I don't have alot of experience but I think the tubs look ugly. If I were to ever get tubs I would at least put a plexi glass. BP may hide all the time but in they are not surrounded by opaque wall. I don't think it can be ignored that an animal with site needs some visual stimulation. To me putting a pet in a newspaper lined plastic tub with a water bowl and two hides is more like storing them. I do like the custom made plastic and acrylic enclosures thos I would display in my house not plastic sweater boxes.
    1.0 coral glow BP
    1.0 leuchistic blue eyed BP

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    lisafoster2510

The thing to remember is that there are a lot of breeders professional and hobby and that space is a huge issue, Tubs are super efficient space wise. I have both tubs in a rack and displays enclosures I actually rotate the animals from the rack to enclosure and enclosure to rack. I do find that the rack does feel a bit like storage at times but the animals can be well cared for in any system, it is the keeper whom makes the difference. My biggest complaint with the tub/tank/custom enclosure debate is that tubs are toated as being a solution for all the troubles, which simply isn't true. One set of problems are traded for another. Tubs have no thermal mass and heat and cool very very quickly and as a result cost more and require much more careful controls over heating.

Thanks
    Yeah I have my 2 snakes in tubs right now, and while they are kind of ugly, my snakes aren't ignored or stored. I check on them daily, and never forget to feed them. I am back and forth between tubs and tanks as tanks are easier to heat because you can use bulbs to help heat the air and use moss or a wetter substrate for humidity, and tubs seem to be hard to heat if your room temps are cold and you can't really use bulbs with them or use a space heater...

So, I'm unsure...haha.
    1.0.0 Blood Python, Chomper.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python, Petrie.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon, Yoshi.
    1.0.0 Barred Tiger Salamander, Watson.
    3 female ferrets, Lola, Cha-Cha and Crazy girl.
    1 male ferret, Rico.
    1 Female Mastiff/Boxer, Bella.

Thanks
    I meant to add that I understood why breeders choose this method. Just seems like if it is a pet being kept long term like that a habitat where you try and add some of the things they have in nature would make for a happier snakes. With the substrate I have been using and adding some water to a small area in the corner and lightly misting 1x daily my humidity has been staying 50-60. Using tin foil and a heat light my temps stay fine. The light will go away once it warms up I live on the waterso twptowns over it is alot warmer than where I am.
    Last edited by lisafoster2510; 04-11-2011 at 07:57 PM.
    1.0 coral glow BP

Thanks
    I could never keep tubs warm where I live. I can't deal if the heat gets over 65 in the house.
    1.0 coral glow BP

Thanks
    I vote tubs!! I made the switch about 6 months ago and all I gotta say is it's soo much easier to do everything. I built a nice rack to hold 5 cb70 tubs, they all hold humidity and all stay at the same temp controlled by a herpstat.
    1.0 Dumeril Boa (Mr. D)
    1.0 Red Tail Boa (no name yet)
    0.1 Ball Python (Pandora)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lisafoster2510 View Post
    I don't have alot of experience but I think the tubs look ugly. If I were to ever get tubs I would at least put a plexi glass. BP may hide all the time but in they are not surrounded by opaque wall. I don't think it can be ignored that an animal with site needs some visual stimulation. To me putting a pet in a newspaper lined plastic tub with a water bowl and two hides is more like storing them. I do like the custom made plastic and acrylic enclosures thos I would display in my house not plastic sweater boxes.
    So your telling me it's more normal for a python to be able to see out of a glass tank, with people walking by and whatever else goes on in house, as opposed to a tub that's probably darker most of the time and it having newspaper and fogged plastic walls? I'm thinking the snake is more comfortable being in a tub setup. Also u don't need to use newspaper for substrate in tubs, it's just the most cheapest way to go and cleanup is simple and fast.
    1.0 Dumeril Boa (Mr. D)
    1.0 Red Tail Boa (no name yet)
    0.1 Ball Python (Pandora)

Thanks

Re: tanks vs tubs

is asking 250 for a 5 shelf vision arboreal snake rack with 6 new tubs, heat, and Johnson controls thermostat. Tubs are about 14" wide x 16" tall x 24" deep
    too much just wondering if it would be a good pick up

Thanks
    On the tanks vs tubs subject, I don't really have an opinion if you have just a few bps as long as the husbandry is good. When you get into several or more BPs, I'd say tubs is the way to go to keep cleaning easy. As far as tubs being ugly, I'll share a pic of the racks in my snake room and you can decide for yourself, although I think they look fantastic. Also for me, any new addition gets to spend a few months in tanks in a separate room until their quarantine vacation is over and they get a highly prized rack space. I'd like to add that husbandry or escapes has NOT been an issue with my rack set up and I was always under the impression BPS liked tight dark spaces to hide. Also, every day possible unless after feeding or in shed, my snakes get checked over, handled, and an opportunity for some new visual stimulation.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by corgigirl9; 06-01-2011 at 08:21 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to corgigirl9 For This Useful Post:

satomi325 (08-22-2011)

Thanks
    Ps. I did not make the above racks although I did call them my rack set up.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast