Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,236

1 members and 3,235 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: tanks vs tubs

Thanks
    for me, i don't find the measures to clean/maintain tanks that much. i use the reptile carpets, have two per tank and switch the carpet when it's soiled. for humidity, i have sphagnum moss in a metal bowl on the warm side of the tank, and i just have to spray during shed time.

feedings are done either in a tub or on the carpet in the living room. i do it on the carpet once they're bigger, my mom had a BP who hit the side of the tub when trying to take a mouse and broke his jaw, died because he couldn't eat. so the baby BP stays in the tub, the adult corn i have eats in the open.
    Love,
    Patches,
    Kthxbai

Thanks

Re: tanks vs tubs

For me, I use tanks for pets, especially the younger ones because it will allow me to monitor them without ripping out their entire home from a rack system to see how they're coming along.

Once I know they're well established, either I keep them in the tank setup for a while if I can keep up the humidity requirements, or move to a tub if I can't or if I run out of space/funds for keeping tanks (I don't just keep reptiles, I keep and care for the tanks they're in too LOL).

Breeders it's a whole other story though. For breeder's I'd prefer to keep them in tubs as much as possible. They won't be pulled out to be handled as much as a pet snake would be (necessarily).

It's all a matter of taste and depends on specific conditions in the area. Some people are able to keep them in tanks no problem, while others have to go through hell and high water to do so.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexandra V For This Useful Post:

Anya (05-19-2011),ballpythonluvr (01-18-2011)

Thanks
    From what I've read with tubs, you cannot use a light for heating, and that seems logical. I mean, you CAN use one.

If I were to ever switch to a rack system(which I will be when I move out this spring), I would be investing in some sort of proportional thermostat (Herpstat Pro) and some flexwatt, so that temperatures can be controlled on each level.
    0.1 Normal - "Yoko"
    1.1 100% Albino Het. "Syd", "Vici"
    1.0 Pinstripe "Thor"
    0.1 Spider - "Mantra"

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I personally don't think there is a controversy over tanks or tubs. There is a clear advantage to tubs, but those who want the aesthetic look choose tanks. It's not impossible to keep BPs in a tank, it's just a lot more work. Tubs are so simple! A heat pad, a water dish, a hide, and substrate is all you need! I love my tubs, so simple! And if you want it to be 'pretty' it's still possible, get a little bigger tub that is clear plastic and add fake plants and such.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlitherinSisters View Post
    I personally don't think there is a controversy over tanks or tubs. There is a clear advantage to tubs, but those who want the aesthetic look choose tanks. It's not impossible to keep BPs in a tank, it's just a lot more work. Tubs are so simple! A heat pad, a water dish, a hide, and substrate is all you need! I love my tubs, so simple! And if you want it to be 'pretty' it's still possible, get a little bigger tub that is clear plastic and add fake plants and such.
    my tanks are part of the decoration in the living room, so tubs are a no go. but if i can maintain proper heat and humidity conditions in a tank in RENO!!! there shouldn't be a problem doing it anywhere else. reno is high desert, very dry. keeping humidity up was a problem until i started doing the sphagnum moss thing, then spray twice a day during the shed. the temperature swing from day to night is severe, keeping the house a consistent temperature is hard enough, but the tank is pretty consistent.

"prior preparation prevents piss poor performance"
    "keep it simple, stupid"

those are all i had when i started caring for snakes (babysitting my mom's corns, she's a teacher and sometimes i keep 'em over the summer when school is out. the snakes live in the classroom). did a bit of reading, asked some questions. but you don't need to be any kind of expert to execute basic husbandry, and you don't have to be perfect by any stretch of the imagination. snakes are, for the most part, very hearty and can tolerate some climate changes, a few missed feedings, etc. at the end of the day, they know what they need so if you provide choices then they'll be alright.
    Love,
    Patches,
    Kthxbai

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doctor patches For This Useful Post:

Anya (05-19-2011),stevebidw (03-15-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patches152 View Post
    my tanks are part of the decoration in the living room, so tubs are a no go. but if i can maintain proper heat and humidity conditions in a tank in RENO!!! there shouldn't be a problem doing it anywhere else.
    My tubs are part of the decoration in my office, so tubs are still a go. In Reno, it's ALWAYS dry. In North Florida, sometimes humidity is at 90, sometimes it is at 0. Some days it is 30 degrees at night and 70 degrees at high noon. Where I live, if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.

So yeah, what works for you, doesn't necessarily work for everybody else.

Here's my tub:

And here's my tank:

Now you can stop pontificating because either way is ALL GOOD!
    Last edited by anatess; 01-19-2011 at 03:46 PM.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anatess For This Useful Post:

Anya (05-19-2011),ballpythonluvr (01-19-2011),darkbloodwyvern (02-06-2011)

Thanks

idk what pontificating means, so i'm gonna take that as an insult!
    Love,
    Patches,
    Kthxbai

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patches152 View Post
    idk what pontificating means, so i'm gonna take that as an insult!

Just wanting to point out that tubs are just as good as tanks.

You made me fall off my chair laughing. You're a cool chap.
    Last edited by anatess; 01-19-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks
    i think at the end of the day, it's a matter of preference. for some people, they can't handle the large flux of change in temp and humidity with a tank, some have found ways to make it work. for others, the tub IS the way to make it work, or they have so many snakes that a rack full of tubs is just more convenient.

i think i just feel bad using the thing i keep old sweaters and christmas decorations in the garage as a habitat for a living creature plus the black tank trim goes with my feng shui.
    Love,
    Patches,
    Kthxbai

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post

Here's my tub:
    Oh wow I love your tub! That's the prettiest tub set up I've ever seen!

I live in Iowa and run a DEhumidifier year round. Most people don't even know what a dehumidifier is, lol. Even not using one in the summer when the humidity is out of control tanks are still hard to keep humid. Can you do it, sure, but for me personally, pass. I like the brainlessness of tubs It's good for the newbies too, I consider tanks a set up for experienced keepers or very very devoted ones!
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 01-19-2011 at 07:35 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

anatess (02-07-2011)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast