Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,184

1 members and 1,183 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

My Mites Story "just fun nothing informational"

So I just got bored after loads and loads of cleaning, and thought that I would tell this fun filled story real quick. Last week I got an amazing little pinstripe hatchling from BHB Reptiles. She is perfect and exactly what I was looking for. When she got here she was empty "no food" in her, and I wanted to leave her alone for a week. Well at the end of the week I found out that my buddy I get all my rats from was out of town and that he was not going to be back for a while, so knowing that BHB feeds a lot of his hatchling BPs mice I thought it would be a great idea to go to the little pet store and pick up a hand full of mice... WRONG!! I get home feed off a mouse and set the others up in a nice little mouse set up. Well a couple days later I was checking on all the snakes and sure enough the little PIN has bugs in here tub. I new right off the bat the mites didn't come from BHB, and that the mice were to blame. I had to destroy the mice, and now im in the process of getting rid of the mites off my snake. So far today ive bleached all of the tubs, threw out all the stuff in her tub and gave her 2 baths of warm water. Each time I check there still mites but its less and less each time. Anyways I was just bored and wanted to express what I have been doing alllll day. I am praying the mites don't spread to the dogs,snakes, and rats. Moral of the story, I quit mice!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: My Mites Story "just fun nothing informational"

I would suggest ordering a can of Provent-A-Mite(PAM) and treating all of your reptiles. Not only can mites hide in and around the nostrils, pits and eyes, making it hard to drown them, but mites will also lay eggs outside of the enclosure as well, and eventhough you may think that you've gotten rid of them all, they'll be back in about 15 days.

http://www.pro-products.com/
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Chances are, they were not reptile mites if they came from the mice and therefore they will not infest your snakes. Mites are species specific. If they are snake mites then the snake already had them.

Rodents do have mites. Generally it's a constant thing. Healthy and active rodents will keep their mites down by cleaning their selves.

Rodent mites may be annoying to you but will not thrive on reptiles.

So get some provent-a-mite and follow the directions closely. Pick up some topical mite spray from the pet store for the snakes body.

Never rule out the snake having mites no matter who it came from. Treat all new arrivals as if they may infect your other snakes with something and quarantine them. Snake mites will usually be seen in the water bowl or around the eyes and mouth of the snake.

Thanks

Re: My Mites Story "just fun nothing informational"

they came from the mice... all the other mice had them, and did not come in contact w/ the snakes. I checked before I killed them off just to be sure.