Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,104

2 members and 3,102 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried

Thanks

Worried

I posted this two days ago but have added pictures.
    I have 1-2 year(s) old Ball. I got her from someone at work that did not take good care of her. I have been getting her back to what I think is good health. I only have one issue, there are two bubbles on her by her tail that seem to filled air maybe puss but it feels like air, extra skin maybe? The kid was feeding her two pinkies once a week, I feed her one large mouse twice a week. She has doubled in size in the last 1.5 months that I have had her. [IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

Re: Worried

I would feed a weanling-small rat once a week. Feeding adults twice a week can mess up their metabolism and not allow it time to recuperate from the last meal.

I have not seen anything like this before. I would give a vet a call and try to talk to the herp vet over the phone about this and see if he/she advises to bring him in. It could be an abscess of some sort.

Thanks

That bubble looks awful, it looks like the skin is pulling away from the muscle tissue underneath, it could be a giant blister from a possible burn, it could break open soon, or even get infected, the snake needs to go to the vet immediately.

It definitely looks serious, it could be something which could threaten the snakes life, please make sure it gets to a vet!

Try messaging Dr. Del, he is a vet who posts on this forum quite often...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Eh?

I'm not a vet.

Who said I was a vet?

My normal male had bad burns as a youngster and, as a result he gets fluid pockets when he is in shed. I assume it's because the skin has become detatched from the muscle underneath - but I don't see any signs of damage so I doubt that's what this is.

But I agree that a vet visit is probably the way to go.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Hi,

I finally managed to find the post I had pics in that showed Hermans "fluid blisters"

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

I agree I'd like to know why he is the way he is but it seems to be more a psychological rather than physical cause as the shed cycle itself seems to be fine he just doesn't try and shed at the end of it.

He is in deep blue just now in fact so I took some pictures that show the "bubbles" of fluid as best I can and one that shows his swollen nose ( vet AGAIN on friday hopefully with a diagnosis this time). The nose isn't related by the way as it is a relatively recent problem though it probably doesn't help. I had hoped to show the vet the bubbles but he will have lost them by friday for sure.

Just to show he does go fully blue;

A good shot of one of his milder scars;

On the next two you can see the "pouching" of the fluid bubbles around his scar - these are of the same scar so you can see how much the fluid can move around the area. Once he sheds there will be no sign of anything wrong and the skin seems to be attatched to the underlying flesh perfectly well but this turns up to a greater or lesser amount with every shed and disappears as the fluid layer dissapates.

dr del
    But, as I said, they are directly at the sight of previous bad burns unlike yours.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Eh?

I'm not a vet.

Who said I was a vet?

My normal male had bad burns as a youngster and, as a result he gets fluid pockets when he is in shed. I assume it's because the skin has become detatched from the muscle underneath - but I don't see any signs of damage so I doubt that's what this is.

But I agree that a vet visit is probably the way to go.

dr del
    Haha, well the "dr" in "dr del" can confuse people .

That doesn't look too good. Looks like either a recent burn or maybe the snake got it self stuck very tightly in some string or a wire and it constricted the body.

I also agree a vet visit would be helpful to rule out parasites or something else.
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    Try messaging Dr. Del, he is a vet who posts on this forum quite often...

He's not a vet.....He's a LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE Dr.

Sorry Derek...it was just such a perfect time......

On a serious note ....I personally have never seen anything like that. I would def. take him to the vet. At first I thought dehydration but not just in one spot. Then I thought stuck shed but ....I think Del is probably more on target. Let us know as I would really like to keep this thread in case I ever see it again.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BPelizabeth For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-13-2011)

Thanks

LOL, are you really not a vet? You just seemed so knowledgeable all the time and yer name is Dr. Del, I guess I just assumed...

Or is this one of those reverse psychology tricks and you actually are a vet and all you guys are just messing with me?

Thanks

Nah,

I swear, hand on my heart, I am not a vet or a dr. It's just my two first initials that got made into a nickname because I have a smart mouth on a dumb head.

dr del
    Derek

Thanks

I got her to the vet last week and they drained the two bubbles, not really knowing what it was caused by but she thinks it was like a water blister. I have antibiotics to give her daily and going back for a check up in a week. Thank you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dz DOGGz 22 For This Useful Post:

lk_holla (01-24-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast