Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,441

1 members and 3,440 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Woma Wobble? Do you have any womas with wobbles?

Now, if you had asked me last year, I would have repeated the same thing again--womas, unlike spiders, don't wobble.

Unfortunately, this year, I've produced at least 2 that do. (And one of them is my remaining male woma-lesser). Now, here's the issue--their non-woma siblings are all perfectly normal. So were they, as new hatchlings--the wobble didn't emerge until they were several months old (even older, for the woma-lesser).

The fact that it's ONLY womas, and the delay in the signs showing up, now has me wondering whether we've been wrong about them all along. Perhaps the woma mutation is much more closely related to the spider mutation, and has the same drawbacks, just in a more subdued form. The pairing that produced these animals was the same one I did last year, that did not produce any apparent wobblers, and the animals are totally unrelated. (However, last year I didn't have them here as long--I don't know what may have come up with them later).

So, now I want to know--those who actually breed and work with womas (rather than just have a single animal). Have you seen this? Not the head-instability and head-tilt seen in spiders, but the corkscrewing when exploring, and failure to quickly turn the head upright if you flip them upside down. Before you answer, go check your animals again, and really look for it. It's easy to overlook something subtle if you're not expecting it.

I'm interested in knowing how many womas you have, their ages, and how many (if any) show these signs even subtly.

I'd really like to get to the bottom of this, because if I have a bad gene in my womas, I'll have to scrap my breeding projects with them, and they're really exceptional-looking animals. I don't want to do that if it's merely a trait tied to the woma mutation, as it is in spiders. At the moment, the evidence really points to this being specific to womas, because it was a large clutch, and no other animals are affected. The fact I didn't see it last year doesn't mean much, since most of the animals left my hands before they were 3 months old. This year, I held back many animals.

So, let's see if we can put this to bed. Do womas wobble?
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

Serpent_Nirvana (01-12-2011)

Thanks

Re: Woma Wobble? Do you have any womas with wobbles?

Very interesting. I personally don't keep Womas, but if I remember correctly...Kevin @ NERD produced a few Super Womas (pearl) that had a severe wobble/cork screw.
    -Jordan

Balls
    0.1 Pinstripe.............................1.0 DH Lavender Snow
    0.2 PH Lavender Albino.............0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Pastel PH Ghost..................1.0 Pastel Het Ghost
    0.2 PH Ghost (Twins)................1.0 Cinnamon
    0.1 Het TSK Axanthic................1.3 Mojave
    0.1 Het Albino..........................1.0 Albino PH Pied
    1.1 Het Pied.............................1.0 Dinker
    1.2 Normal...............................1.0 Pastel Lesser

Boa
    0.1 Super Salmon Het Sunglow

Check us out at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dem...13090085417762

Thanks

just so we are clear are we talking about "normal" womas or H.G womas?

Thanks

^^^ That's a good point. I forgot that Kevin works with the hidden gene womas. I'm assuming the OP was talking about 'normal' womas? Hopefully I didn't cause any confusion.
    Last edited by DemmBalls; 01-11-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    -Jordan

Balls
    0.1 Pinstripe.............................1.0 DH Lavender Snow
    0.2 PH Lavender Albino.............0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Pastel PH Ghost..................1.0 Pastel Het Ghost
    0.2 PH Ghost (Twins)................1.0 Cinnamon
    0.1 Het TSK Axanthic................1.3 Mojave
    0.1 Het Albino..........................1.0 Albino PH Pied
    1.1 Het Pied.............................1.0 Dinker
    1.2 Normal...............................1.0 Pastel Lesser

Boa
    0.1 Super Salmon Het Sunglow

Check us out at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dem...13090085417762

Thanks
    They do act just like you're talking about. I've got 2 adult females and they do it too. I've seen others do it as well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Luke Martin For This Useful Post:

Serpent_Nirvana (01-12-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I currently have an 09 woma. I have watched her for hours, and I have never seen any signs of wobble. I have really watched to because I have seen posts that talked about this before.
    “I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.”Winston Churchill
    1.0 '10 piebald, 0.1 '10 het piebald, 01 '07 het. Piebald
    0.1 '10 lesser, 0.1 '10 albino, 1.0 '11 Black Pastel het. Albino, 0.1 '11 het. Albino, 0.1 '08 het. Albino, 0.1 '10 het. Albino
    0.1 '09 woma, 1.0 '10 Pewter, 0.1 '11 Lesser Bee
    0.1 '10 Super Cinnamon Woma, 0.1 '10 Mojave Spider, 0.1 '11 mojave, 0.1 Super Chocolate
    0.1 '10 Pastel Yellowbelly, 1.0 '11 Pastel Yellowbelly
    1.1 '10 yellowbelly, 0.2 '10 normal
    0.1 '08 Cinnamon, '08 Normal, 0.1 '10 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Black eyed lucy possible yellowbelly
    1.0 '11 Cinnamon Enchi, 1.0 '11 pastave
    0.1 '10 coral albino Boa, '10 1.0 Sunglow boa, 11 0.1 Motley boa
    0.1 '11 Central American hypo boa, 1.0 Central American Motley
    0.1 '11+T Albino Blood, 0.1 '11 poss het. +T Albino Blood

Thanks
    *Rant*

I still don't buy into the whole it's an issue only linked to the Spider gene. What if it's a recessive flaw that is inheritable by all but is over powering in the Spider morph? What if Spider siblings over time and inbreeding can become prone to it? What if all ball pythons can become infected with it? Normals have been born with wobbles or have developed them later in life as have others.
    What is really known about the spider wobble? Nothing that's what. Most ball python morphs have only been around 10-15 years. That's what, 5 to 7 generations of breeding? How long did it even take for the wobble to become public? So much is not known and so much is lied about.
    Oh and by the way, the Spider is not the most out crossed morph. It was and still is inbreed a whole lot.
    People need to wake up. We breeders need to become more aware of our actions and need to act more responsible for these creatures. If there is no reason to line breed, then don't do it. If you have to spend 1,000 for two visible recessive morphs or 4 hets to do a project then do it. Don't inbreed to save the money and time. We are not hurting our selves with taking short cuts. We are hurting the Ball Pythons that we so love!
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks
    Actually spiders are probably more outcrossed than most as there is no homozygous form, so there is even less reason for the spider offspring to be bred back to the spider parent.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Martin View Post
    Actually spiders are probably more outcrossed than most as there is no homozygous form, so there is even less reason for the spider offspring to be bred back to the spider parent.
    Yea yea yea, but they are still inbred. It doesn't matter that there is "no" Homo form. The reason why the Spider is still inbred is because some breeders take short cuts to get a morph faster than the next. Let’s face reality here. It's not really that big of a deal, we should all just accept it and not try to dismiss it.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

I have an adult male and an adult Pastel Woma female. I also produced about 12 babies this year. My two adults, I have never really seen anything with them. As for babies, I have about 3 or 4 that do wobble. With that said, I have never seen any of them severely corkscrew or have issues righting themselves. I do have one of the wobblers that is more devere than the rest, but he doesn't really spin. He just gets very excited at the sight of food.

Put it to rest. Womas do wobble.

I also have a HG Woma, and I have seen no evidence of him wobbling or spinning at all. I only have the one though, and have not produced yet, so I have no definitive conlusion to be made on that mutation as of today.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muddoc For This Useful Post:

Serpent_Nirvana (01-12-2011),WingedWolfPsion (01-12-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast