Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

3 members and 3,269 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BP's eye lens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts
    Multiple retained eye caps can cause a problem, especially depending on how long they have been "stuck" there. I would definitely advise you to not take any "mechanical" means on your own. I would seek the advice of an experienced herper, or the best bet would be to bring her to the vet. Those stuck caps that have been there for quite some time have the potential to somewhat "bond" to the spectacle due to lack of fluid between the layers for a long time.

Just my .02,
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

2. The Following User Says Thank You to muddoc For This Useful Post:

corgigirl9 (01-12-2011)

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: BP's eye lens

Quote Originally Posted by corgigirl9 View Post
    I need some help with possible multiple retained eye caps and I apologize for no pics. I rescued this adult female ball python and have no history on her. Shes in the 2300 gram range and gaining as she is now on a regular feeding schedule. She doesnt have any stuck shed but her eyes are just dull not like shed dull but more like layers. Also I believe she cant see because although she is a great eater she barely gets the rat each feeding time. Last two times she caught the tail. Tried upping humidity and soaks and towel rubs but no change. Any suggestions to help or maybe the cap problems too far gone?
    Since you do not know for sure of they are stuck caps I wouldn't do anything but keep the humity nice and high and wait for her next shed, it should come off in one big piece. Look at the shed to see if it the caps came off, if they came off then there is no problem, if they do not come off with that shed then I would recommend starting corrective actions for removing them.
    Remember, the humidity should be at LEAST 50% at all times, 70-80% would be better for you since you suspect a problem.
    Last edited by Adam Chandler; 01-12-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Stupid phone auto correct
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Chandler For This Useful Post:

corgigirl9 (01-12-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    OP,
    I am not sure about permanent damage to the spectacle, which incidentally is a specialized scale, my method is a touch different and is easy and a bit less scary for the first time. Go get at a stationary store a rubber finger tip. It looks like ... well a small condom for your finger. They are intended to help shuffle through lots of paper pages.

A warm water soak (snake warm, not human warm about 83-87ºF it doesn't really feel warm to me anyway but 110 does so measure it!) let the snake soak for 20 min or so and I use a touch of water on the eye and with the rubber finger gently pass it over the eye nose to tail a few times. it usually will wipe off with the rubber. If it does not leave it be! Wait for the next shed and increase the humidly and let it come off on its own.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

corgigirl9 (01-12-2011)

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    OP,
    I am not sure about permanent damage to the spectacle, which incidentally is a specialized scale, my method is a touch different and is easy and a bit less scary for the first time. Go get at a stationary store a rubber finger tip. It looks like ... well a small condom for your finger. They are intended to help shuffle through lots of paper pages.

A warm water soak (snake warm, not human warm about 83-87ºF it doesn't really feel warm to me anyway but 110 does so measure it!) let the snake soak for 20 min or so and I use a touch of water on the eye and with the rubber finger gently pass it over the eye nose to tail a few times. it usually will wipe off with the rubber. If it does not leave it be! Wait for the next shed and increase the humidly and let it come off on its own.
    Thank you, but I have no stuck eye cap problems.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    OP,

I think I saw the rubber finger trick on the BHB Snakebytes videos. I definitely think Ill give it a try. How detrimental would retained caps be for a captive owned bp who is still eating great?

Thanks

I agree with the towel trick. I don't even bother soaking my BPs anymore. Just get a nice thick hand towel wet with slightly warm water, ring it out, ball it up, and leave it in the tub over the heat. Check on it every few hours and rewarm the towel if necessary.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Eye caps aren't a big deal if it is only one but if it is multiples it can be a bigger issue. One of the rescue snakes I saw had many stuck eye caps I did not treat the poor thing a vet tech did. The snake ended up loosing one eye. Although it doesn't seem to hamper the little guy.

A healthy feeding snake will simply shed the eye cap and speckle under it next time around. Assuming the humidly issue is addressed. Fix the cause and usually it will correct its self next shed.

OP sorry, I write here while waiting for work, sometimes it takes hours to write my responses. I got your post and someone else mixed up. My mistake, once removed I don't know of a treatment but I have encountered 4 one eye snakes and only one was a birth defect the others were due to some sort of trauma to the eye itself. I would venture a guess that the eye stands a good chance of being lost, but that is a guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12