Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,477

1 members and 3,476 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank Setup

Thanks

Tank Setup

I'm getting a ball python next week and I'm trying to get my tank all setup so it's ready when he gets here. I read over the BP Care Sheet (which is very helpful!) but I wanted to get some personal opinions if I should do anything different.

I bought a Zoo Med ReptiTherm UTH and put it under my 20g glass tank. I put some carpet on top of the UTH and then used Aspen bedding (I put the carpet on the end of the tank with UTH so my BP doesn't get burned). I have a large water dish on the other end of the tank and a couple of bamboo sticks for climbing with some vines for greenery. I'll also add it a couple of hides once I get those. I'm just trying to clutter up the tank as much as I can since I will be getting a baby.

I ordered a thermostat to hook up to the UTH as well as a digital thermometer/humidity. I also got some coconut substrate to try if I decide I don't like the aspen later on.

So, do I need anything else? I'm hoping I won't have any trouble with the humidity levels, I live near the San Francisco Bay and it's always humid here. So keeping my fingers crossed on that. Thanks everyone! I will post pics once I get him!!

Also, I think I'm going to feed live or F/T. I'm leaning more toward live but of course it matters on my snakes preference. Any tips?
    Last edited by nicolehh11; 01-08-2011 at 11:43 PM.
    1.0 Lesser BP "Buster"
    0.1 Pastel BP "Lucille"
    0.1 Mojave BP "Maeby"
    0.1 Normal (Possible morph) BP "Lindsay"
    0.1 Pied BP "Jezebel"
    0.1 Common Collared Lizard "Reptar"
    0.1 New Mexico Fancy Collared Lizard "Duchess"
    1.0 New Mexico Fancy Collared Lizard "Sterling"
    1.0 Snow Leopard Gecko "Leo"
    0.0.1 Hermann's tortoise "Sheldon"
    3 spoiled dogs, 1 red devil midas, 4 fiddler crabs

Thanks
    Hey there, welcome to your new addiction .

Here is my 2 cents on your setup:

-You might very well need two UTH's or a source of ambient heat. I've found that one heat pad tends to heat the hot side well, but not the rest of the tank. I use two heat pads and thermostat to regulate a temperature gradient.

-Consider placing tin foil or a towel (even seen a piece of plexiglass) over the top of the mesh on your Viv, will help with humidity.

-Also, make sure you have two thermometers, for the hot side and cool side, to monitor your gradient.

-Aspen is nice, but doesn't hold humidity well, or not as well as coco husk, if you have troubles with your H% then switch to coco.

-Feed F/T. Its cheaper if you don't breed and you don't risk having your snake injured. And as lame as it may sound, its kinder to the animal.

Cheers!
    -Fatal
    Last edited by Fataltix; 01-09-2011 at 12:26 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fataltix For This Useful Post:

KingPythons (01-09-2011),nicolehh11 (01-10-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Tank Setup

I would put the water bowl in the center and a hide on each end. What size UTH did you get? I get UTH's that cover at least 1/3 of the floor space, but not more than 1/2. This will also add a little more heat to the ambient temp. Whether or not you will need additional heat will depend alot on what your room temps are. The thermometer that you use for the warm side should have a probe that you can run under the substrate and mount to the glass over the UTH. This will let you monitor the hottest temp that your snake can come into contact with if it burrows. The carpet under the Aspen is going to be a pain to clean when it gets soiled, especially with all of the aspen stuck to it. I know. I tried it once. I would also suggest covering three sides of the tank with something like dark construction paper, poster board, contact paper, or aquarium scenery. This will make the tank seem not so open and help the snake feel more secure. Another option to use is foam board. You can get it at Wal-Mart or Target. It is usually in the school supplies section next to the poster board. Using this will help insulate the tank some. And, as was already mentioned, covering the top with Aluminum foil or plexiglass will help keep in humidty. Here are a couple of threads with different ways to do that:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...p-w-pics-*DUW*

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...tment-Tutorial

The way I did it was to cut pieces of cardboard about 4 inches wide and long enough to lay across the screen and wrap each piece in foil. Then you have panels that you can add or remove as needed.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

nicolehh11 (01-10-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    With you having a thermostat, take out the carpet. That carpet will act like an insulator and actually cause the glass to become hotter as the UTH will be on Longer to achieve temps.

Just a .5-1" worth of aspen is all you need. Set the t-stat at 90 and adjust from there till your fine with the temps.

Also cover 3 sides of the tank to enclose it more.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

nicolehh11 (01-10-2011)

Thanks

I dont see any hides. Or am I blind?
    0.1 Leopard Pied
    0.1 VPI Axanthic Het Pied
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pied

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KingPythons For This Useful Post:

nicolehh11 (01-10-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Definitely needs some hides. Also I don't see a thermometer/hygrometer in there. You can pick up a descent digital one with a probe at Lowes, Home Depot or Wally Mart for $12-15. Also, use tinfoil to cover about 3/4 of the screen lid as someone else suggested. I have one BP in a 20g tank and can keep the humidity at 55-60 with a large water dish on the cool side. Congrats on your new pet...you'll enjoy him/her alot I'm sure. You'll also get alot of good advice on BP.net and meet some awesome people to boot!

Forgot to add, cover 3 sides of the tank with something like construction paper to add additional security for your BP.
    Last edited by PghBall; 01-09-2011 at 03:57 AM.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PghBall For This Useful Post:

nicolehh11 (01-10-2011)

Thanks
    Her post states she is getting two hides and a thermo/hygrometer. READ, not just look at pictures.
    - Dave Harms - www.wax32.com | Pinstripe, Yellow Belly, Sulfur, Cinnamon ph G-Stripe, Pastel het Hypo | Pastel, Fire, Albino, Mojave, Lesser Platinum ph G-Stripe, Pastel ph G-Stripe, het G-Stripe, het Hypo, het Piebald, Pastel Yellowbelly

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wax32 For This Useful Post:

nicolehh11 (01-10-2011)

Thanks

I don't think you'll really need all that substrate in the tank. When you get your thermostat, tape the probe onto the heat mat (outside the tank, on the bottom) and then just put enough substrate to cover the bottom. That way you'll control the highest temp that your bp can get at, and you won't have to worry about him burning himself on the glass.

Also, you might want to remove the bamboo climbing things, because even though a ball would probably use it, they're terrestrial and are pretty clumsy climbers, so you wouldn't want him to fall off and hurt himself.

As for the feeding, if I were you I would just feed whatever he was already eating (at least for the first couple feedings) and then try to switch him over if you want after he's more adjusted to his new home.
    Last edited by Alexandra V; 01-09-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandra V For This Useful Post:

nicolehh11 (01-10-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra V View Post
    I don't think you'll really need all that substrate in the tank. When you get your thermostat, tape the probe onto the heat mat (outside the tank, on the bottom) and then just put enough substrate to cover the bottom. That way you'll control the highest temp that your bp can get at, and you won't have to worry about him burning himself on the glass.

Also, you might want to remove the bamboo climbing things, because even though a ball would probably use it, they're terrestrial and are pretty clumsy climbers, so you wouldn't want him to fall off and hurt himself.

As for the feeding, if I were you I would just feed whatever he was already eating (at least for the first couple feedings) and then try to switch him over if you want after he's more adjusted to his new home.
    If you're BP is in the tank, the hottest spot he could get to is IN the tank. So, why would you put the thermometer outside of the tank? Some people put it outside, some people put it inside. I personally put it inside.

The bamboo is fine, the cage isn't a high one and there's no sharp edges for him to fall on. He should be fine.

Also, just so you're prepared, get a spray bottle for misting. You won't need it during the winter most likely, but in the summer you'll use it a few times. The advice about the plexiglass or aluminum foil on the screen is very good, I had to do that to my 20g.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Elise.m For This Useful Post:

nicolehh11 (01-10-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elise.m View Post
    If you're BP is in the tank, the hottest spot he could get to is IN the tank. So, why would you put the thermometer outside of the tank? Some people put it outside, some people put it inside. I personally put it inside.

The bamboo is fine, the cage isn't a high one and there's no sharp edges for him to fall on. He should be fine.

Also, just so you're prepared, get a spray bottle for misting. You won't need it during the winter most likely, but in the summer you'll use it a few times. The advice about the plexiglass or aluminum foil on the screen is very good, I had to do that to my 20g.
    Thermometer ALWAYS goes inside. The thermostat PROBE NEVER goes inside. All it takes is one massive poop or pee on the probe and it will cool the probe down. Then this will cause a spike in the UTH thus BRUNS.

Always ALWAYS keep the thermostat probe OUTSIDE secured onto the UTH directly with tape or hot glue. The UTH will heat the glass and substrate to the set temps in 1-2 hours no problems.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

nicolehh11 (01-10-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast