Keeping the (insert whichever method) in your regular collection's cages to "prevent" mites seems rather ridiculous. Mites don't just appear. They come from somewhere. If you aren't bringing in animals, you shouldn't suddenly have mites appearing in your cages, right?

I personally have never seen a flea collar work. I've seen dogs that don't have fleas, and didn't wear collars, and dogs wearing collars that were covered. Conversely, I've seen the opposite. There's never seemed to be a dog that HAD fleas, the owner put on a collar with no other preventative, and the fleas disappeared.

Now understand.. I'm not talking about my dog or the neighbor up the road. I work in the grooming business. I see an average of 10-20 dogs per day, five days a week, for the past 20 years. I've seen a lot of flea collars used, and a lot of "I give them a few drops of garlic" and tons of home remedies. The ones without fleas were always dogs that never HAD fleas, and dogs that were on other preventatives. That said, as long as the animal doesn't have fleas, I don't care if you credit rubbing an apple on his head each morning. If he DOES have fleas, I don't care if you're spending a thousand dollars a day, do something that actually works to get rid of the fleas. Same principle to me about mites and snakes. If they don't HAVE mites, great. If they do, then do SOMETHING to get rid of the mites.

Also, some flea collars are really fumey and chemical-ly. Just keeping the snake from touching it wouldn't seem to be enough to me. I don't want my reptiles exposed to a lot of the chemical fumes coming off some collars, breathing that stuff. I'd prefer to make certain to practice good quarentine procedures and treat with a approved reptile mite treatment than a home remedy.