Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,118

3 members and 3,115 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy ca't get the humidity to stay

hi there,

I had my BP now for about a year. I just switched from a 20 to a 40 and the problems started. The humidity does not stay at all. My set up;
    one under tank pad on right side of tank (glass) on top the water bowl big corner one. On top off it the lamp (30W) temp on that side just 80F. The water in the bowl is just a little warm if even. On the left side is the 60 watt top Lamp and her hide. One that side the temp is about 75. I spray it several times a day all wall and the Aspen. It races it to the humidity to about 70 for just maybe 10 min. then it is gone again. I tried to add some moss aground the water bowl and wet that didn't help. I mixed the Aspen with some Cypress Mulch (as told in a store) didn't change anything either.
    Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    70 is a tad overkill for just a basic tank set up, ball pythons thrive in humidity ranges 50-60%. are you saying that after misting and the moss you can't hold that or you can't hold 70% humidity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Xan Powers!
    -Going back to being active-

Thanks
    First off, the lamp is going to give you a hard time. If not essential, you might want to consider dropping it.

More importantly though is most tanks have screen lids. Your humidity will leave through the top. Cover the lid with aluminum foil or plastic wrap(making sure to stay away from the lamp if you keep it). Without a covered lid like that, you'll never keep humidity up, especially in the winter when the air is usually drier.

Thanks

Re: ca't get the humidity to stay

Quote Originally Posted by Xan Powers View Post
    70 is a tad overkill for just a basic tank set up, ball pythons thrive in humidity ranges 50-60%. are you saying that after misting and the moss you can't hold that or you can't hold 70% humidity?

I can't even hold that. It's only about right 20.

Thanks
    I tried just one lamp then it will get to cold in there. If I cover some of the top with plastic or so, will the second lamp still give enough to keep the temperature up?
    Also, as per the information I had the humidity should at least be 75 (tropical) and the temp between 80-85F

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by svejuca View Post
    I tried just one lamp then it will get to cold in there. If I cover some of the top with plastic or so, will the second lamp still give enough to keep the temperature up?
    Also, as per the information I had the humidity should at least be 75 (tropical) and the temp between 80-85F
    theres a fantastic care sheet sticked in the husbandry section that I think you should take a look at, but from what you're saying a lot of your humidity is escaping through the top and if you seal that up it should retain much better. also instead of using ceiling heat I would recommend just using a heat pad purchasable at any local pet supermarket or using heat tape as belly heat is much better.

edit: I saw that you had the heat pad under the water dish? thats not going to provide anything as far as the belly heat goes, just go ahead and take the dish off and relocate it to a place not on the heat source.

Thanks
    First off thanks for your replies.

So you saying I should be able to heat the entire 40 tank with a head pap if I place the water bowl somewhere else? Below should be a picture of my set up. If I got this to work.

[IMG]file:///Users/melaniewonneberger/Desktop/IMG_0116.JPG[/IMG]

But if the water bowl is not o "heated and the lamps are also taken away how do I get more humidity?

If I turn the heat pad ( I have the one for 40 tank) all the way up, can't she burn herself on it. she likes to lay right on top of the part which is right now not covered by the bowl.

Thanks for your help

Thanks
    She might love laying there because of the belly heat. I'd move the bowl on one side and cover that side with plastic wrap and turn up the heat pad. check the temp of the floor of the tank where the pad is and not the air way above it like one of thosee stick to the tank thermistats).. use a temp gun you can also spray down the covered side.
    Last edited by Subdriven; 01-06-2011 at 10:45 PM.
    1.0 Bumble Bee
    1.0 Cinny het Albino
    0.1 Albino
    0.3 Pastel
    0.1 BEL (Lesser x Mojave)
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.2 Normal

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subdriven View Post
    She might love laying there because of the belly heat. I'd move the bowl on one side and cover that side with plastic wrap and turn up the heat pad. check the temp of the floor of the tank where the pad is and not the air way above it like one of thosee stick to the tank thermistats).. use a temp gun you can also spray down the covered side.
    exactly. be sure you're not measuring the temperature using a "stick me on the wall and let me tell you what the temp of the wall is" thermometer. a temp gun/pen is the way to go because it is far more accurate. do what subdriven has said and by giving her that low 90's hot spot to bask in and misting that area you should see a humidity rise. when I had a giant terrarium back in the day I used two ceramics on the hot side and a 3" flexwatt strip. that did the trick for me, I honestly could have done away with the ceramics come to think of it, the only reason i used them was to give the hot side more humidity during the winter when I had to mist that side.

Thanks
    I'm working with a 75 gallon tank... lol.. try to keep the humidity right in that thing!
    1.0 Bumble Bee
    1.0 Cinny het Albino
    0.1 Albino
    0.3 Pastel
    0.1 BEL (Lesser x Mojave)
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.2 Normal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast