Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,366

1 members and 3,365 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered User LOSTCOAST_BALLZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    we had an awesome convo on the natural v incubator method thread. anatess is the go to for natural incubation!

Thanks

Re: Old School Incubating

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTCOAST_BALLZ View Post
    we had an awesome convo on the natural v incubator method thread. anatess is the go to for natural incubation!
    Not me... I learned most of what I know from Quiet Tempest. She's the reason I went with maternal incubation.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrpnBils View Post
    Yeah but even if you do that it won't matter... if you go in and see one has been flipped, it's still flipped and the egg has probably had it at that point.
    I looked and looked but I couldn't find it anymore. Somebody did an experiment on the "flipping eggs" theory. I thought it was a thread on bp.net but I can't find it in the search.

If I remember correctly, there was no conclusive evidence that flipping an egg harms the baby.

But, just by logical thinking, I think if the egg rolls over when the snake is already big enough in the egg could cause the umbilical cord to get wrapped around the snake.

My observation with maternal incubation is that the eggs are "stuck" together so that it is not an easy task to get them flipped.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

IMO if you have an ambience temp at a constant 88 and humidity of around 90%, I don't see why you shouldn't let the nature takes its course.

Thanks
    I let my only female breeding do it herself (mostly) last year. I started with five good eggs. She rolled two out after a day or so and I marked them and put them back. She pushed them out again within a day and they soon went bad. About three weeks later I (she) was down to two eggs. Both hatched but one had to be put down it was kinked bad. I'm planning on having an incubator setup this year.
    Over 60...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LotsaBalls View Post
    I let my only female breeding do it herself (mostly) last year. I started with five good eggs. She rolled two out after a day or so and I marked them and put them back. She pushed them out again within a day and they soon went bad. About three weeks later I (she) was down to two eggs. Both hatched but one had to be put down it was kinked bad. I'm planning on having an incubator setup this year.
    It is possible that those 2 eggs were bad that's why mama snake rolled them out. Bad eggs will go bad even in the incubator. Kinked snakes, snakes wrapped in its umbilical cord, snake with 2 heads, snake with its heart on the outside... all these things happen in the incubator.

But yeah, the good thing about using the incubator is you get to control the entire thing yourself so that if an egg goes bad there's no question about it.

And yes, that's the bad thing about maternal incubation too. The mama snake has control, we're just the sidekick, so that if an egg goes bad, we are always left to wonder if mama snake is to blame.
    Last edited by anatess; 01-06-2011 at 05:33 PM.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp

Thanks
    Maybe I'm just confused, but with maternal incubation, wouldn't raising the humidity to 90% put the mother at risk for RI? From what I have read and heard, an environment that is too moist can cause RI. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

This is the thread about eggs getting turned around during incubation.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    I looked and looked but I couldn't find it anymore. Somebody did an experiment on the "flipping eggs" theory. I thought it was a thread on bp.net but I can't find it in the search.

If I remember correctly, there was no conclusive evidence that flipping an egg harms the baby.

But, just by logical thinking, I think if the egg rolls over when the snake is already big enough in the egg could cause the umbilical cord to get wrapped around the snake.

My observation with maternal incubation is that the eggs are "stuck" together so that it is not an easy task to get them flipped.
    Yeah I've heard both ways but prefer to err on the side of caution I guess. I think the first time I actually saw eggs being flipped was on a RDR video (not 100% sure though) where the breeder was turning them all over the place as he took them out from the female. Whoever it was didn't seem at all concerned with it, but it seems like maybe the time in incubation might affect it.

For example, when the female is laying the eggs, obviously they're getting rolled around and it has no effect on them. I'm wondering if once everything settles and the embryo grows it becomes more of a problem for it to move. This is just a guess on my part, not scientific data.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TrpnBils View Post
    Yeah but even if you do that it won't matter... if you go in and see one has been flipped, it's still flipped and the egg has probably had it at that point.
    I maternally incubate and the eggs usually fuse together shortly after being laid so that they stay in place. It doesn't always happen that way, though. Last year one of my females laid eggs that were snowflaked and didn't adhere to one another. Not once but TWICE I had an egg roll out of the pile when the mom would move to get a drink or eat. I was worried to death about that egg and frequently candled it to see the baby move inside. As it turned out, it was perfectly fine and hatched alongside its siblings without any trouble.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast