Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,259

1 members and 3,258 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Thanks

Hi all, ive been mad about reptiles for as long as i can remember and have kept various lizards over the years, however ive never had a snake, ive been really tempted to get a ball python recently as i think they are beautiful snakes. There is one thing that has always put me off though, and thats the idea of getting bitten! Should i be letting this put me off?

Thanks
    In short, no...

It will happen. You'll get your snake, and pretty soon another, and another...lol

It's all part of the hobby though. You'll get bitten and you'll realize that the thought of getting bitten was far worse than the bite itself. A ball python isn't a dangerous animal like a large snake, so that aspect of it goes right out the window too. Along those lines, I'd rather be bitten by a ball python 100x over getting bitten once by a cat or a dog.

In general, the bites (when they rarely happen) are quick, relatively painless, and a day later you probably won't even see the bite marks. Some snakes even bluff by striking with their mouths open so you get all the spectacle without any teeth.

The best way to get over the fear of being bitten is to get bit and realize it's not as bad as you'd think it would be.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Newbie

Getting bit happens. The longer you work with snakes the more likely it is that one will bite you, but I have had worse bites for other reptiles or a cat. If you really want a bp it is worth the risk, and they really don't bite that often.

Thanks
    I've only had my one BP a few months, but he's never bitten. I've spooked him countless times, and I always expect that to be one time when there is a higher chance of being bitten. Especially when they are in shed or hungry, but I've never had any problems.

Thanks
    it honestly is not that bad. it feels a little less painful than a bee sting but the pain dissipates in minutes and as everyone says once ya get tagged you realize it's really not bad at all and it was just the thought of actually being bitten by a snake that scared you in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Xan Powers!
    -Going back to being active-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xan Powers View Post
    it honestly is not that bad. it feels a little less painful than a bee sting but the pain dissipates in minutes and as everyone says once ya get tagged you realize it's really not bad at all and it was just the thought of actually being bitten by a snake that scared you in the first place.

Along those lines, I've heard people say things like "well, getting stung by a bee hurts really bad and snakes have 100 teeth so it would be like getting stung by 100 bees"... not true. I hadn't even thought about a bee sting in my original reply, but they hurt MUCH worse than a bite from a BP or similar snake.

Thanks

Thanks guys, what about the bite of a fully grown ball python though? i guess ive just read a bit too much into the biting really!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo25 View Post
    Thanks guys, what about the bite of a fully grown ball python though? i guess ive just read a bit too much into the biting really!!
    I'd say the only bite from a fully grown adult ball python that would hurt more than the average warning strike would be a feeding response bite and those will hurt and do. but for the most part if you follow good feeding techniques you shouldn't have that problem.

-Going back to being active-

Thanks
    Don't worry about it. If anyone has ever pinched you, it probably hurt ten times more than a bite. Just don't worry about it, and if it ever happens, try not to jerk the snake, this can hurt it.

If you want to get over this fear, go down to a pond or creek or something in the spring, and flip over some rocks, and let a common water snake bite you.

So all in all, don't worry about it - and most of all don't be afraid of it! It is instinct to be afraid of these things, but remember, mind over matter!

Registered User Shadows Valkyrie's Avatar
    Thanks

RE: Newbie

I wouldn't be overly concerned with getting bit. Balls are generally very docile. As long as you respect your snake, follow proper handling and feeding guidelines you should be just fine.

I've never been bit by a pet snake. I have ,however, been bitten by a snake (garter) while working in my gardens. It's honestly not bad in my opinion.

Ball Pythons are an excellent choice for a first time snake owner. If you've wanted one for a long time just go for it!

2 BPs - Sorcha & Onyxia
    1 BCI - Wicked
    2 Blue & Gold Macaws - Scootchie & Lady Byrd
    1 Military Macaw - Jada
    1 Lineolated Parakeet - Monkey ...R.I.P. baby girl!
    2 Ferrets - Mischief & Mayhem
    4 Cats - Bailey, Piggy, Mufasa and BeeBee
    African Cichlids
    ASFs
    Rats
    Mice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast