Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,106

0 members and 1,106 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Just got over RI and now...

Hi,

I would probably just try and wipe him down with baby wipes to see if you could get those mites off - the ones that irritate them most are usually in the heat pits and in the edges of the eyes etc rather than on the open skin areas.

As he has just eaten however I would allow him the usual 48 hour digestion period before trying anything at all and the Provent-a-Mite may have arrived by then.

Be very sure to read and follow the instructions on the PAM exactly - I know that sounds like repeating the blindingly obvious but this is a very effective poison so if you have any doubts about how to use it just ask on here and someone should be able to help. It's tempting to use too much of it but it really needs very little.

This is a post about the product.

Just make certain it has fully dried and aired out before putting the snake or waterbowl back in and you should be fine.

Good luck getting the lil guy back to full health on both fronts.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

dryates (01-06-2011)

Thanks

Re: Just got over RI and now...

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    You have done enough wait for PAM given the snake history you want to limit his stress, also I would not recommend oil as a mite treatment either it will contribute to nothing but loosening up scales which can result to scale loss.

Your not using cooking oil, It is Mineral oil, You can drink this, safe for pregnant women to take to help them give birth, safe for kids and animals. In 30 years I have never seen it remove scales. I have seen cause messy sheds, but never scale loss. As I said I have never used PAM, but As I understand you have to use it again a fe weeks later, what is it 20-30 days later, Mineral oil one time. I treat the snake with the Mineral oil, and treat enclosure, with provent a mite. Then i put the snake back in the enclosure and when he sheds I clean the tank. Before they shed any of the mites that may have made it through the initial treatment starve to death b/c they can not get through the oil to get to the snakes skin. They, the Mites, can smell the blood through their skin and the oil so they stick around trying to get at it instead of breeding or looking for other host, and end up starving to death. You will end up using what works for you and I will use what works for me, but please get facts straight before you have a newbie on here and he wants to know how to treat them, It seems like he has found away and if it works,As long as it works, Good for him.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123