Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

2 members and 3,279 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    They are ADORABLE! I had a pit and he was such a sweetie. I was really upset when I had to get rid of him. I also have had an Am. Staff. and would have another in a heartbeat. She was from a breeder up in NC and came from a showdog bloodline. The reason she was sold instead of shown was because she had a heart murmur and had tobe neutured. She was absolutely the BEST dog I have EVER had. She went into congestive heart failure 2 years ago this month and I had to have her put down. I was devastated. I now have 2 dauschands and love them to pieces, but once I can have another larger dog, an Am. Staff. or Pit is definitley in the plan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ShortStack For This Useful Post:

merdcme (01-06-2011)

Thanks
    Awesome looking pups! I really adore pits.

Although it really bums me out when I see pits with cropped ears I know its "traditional", but its pretty needless just for our own aesthetical pleasure now
    http://www.dtors.org
    1.0.0 Eunectes murinus (Green Anaconda)
    0.1.0 Morelia viridis (GTP Manokwari Local)
    2.1.0 Python curtus brongersmai (Blood Python)
    2.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
    0.0.1 Ahaetulla prasina (Asian Vine Snake)
    1.1.0 Hydrodynastes gigas (False Water Cobra)
    1.1.0 Crotalus atrox (T+ & T- Albino Western Diamondback Rattlesnake)
    0.0.2 Crotalus oreganus (Northern Pacific Rattlesnake)
    0.2.1 Crotalus cerastes cerastes (Mojave Sidewinder)

Thanks

Re: our new babys!!! razors edge pups

Quote Originally Posted by anthonym View Post
    Although it really bums me out when I see pits with cropped ears I know its "traditional", but its pretty needless just for our own aesthetical pleasure now
    My Am. Staff. was about 2 when I got her, and her ears were already cropped. My pit was 12 weeks old when I got him, and had to make the decision on whether or not to crop. My dad pushed to do it because it "looked better" but he had these kinda floppy ears and one would stand up and the other would flop over and I was convinced it gave him character, as I called it, lol. I loved his goofy ears! So, the research began. I found out how unneccesary and even painful it was for them to have cropped ears. Once they're "healed" they can still have really sensitive spots on the edge(which gee, is probably why my Am. Staff. didn't like her ears messed with too much!). Needless to say, I quickly decided that I was NOT cropping my pit's ears. If I ever have another, I won't crop their's either. Just my personal opinion

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ShortStack For This Useful Post:

anthonym (01-09-2011)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anthonym View Post
    Not cropping their ears is fine if you do not show your dogs and you one have one.
    I have cropped ever since we had more than one bully in the house. A couple years ago when we got a second one we wound up having to crop her ears because when they were playing her ear got split. I am not talking just the tip either, it was almost to the base of her skull. She never whined when it happened and it was only the blood that led us to a problem. They do play really rough so I now deem it necessary to be cropped in our house.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

merdcme (01-07-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Congrats on the 2 sweet pups
    Joe Haggard

9. The Following User Says Thank You to joepythons For This Useful Post:

merdcme (01-14-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Not cropping their ears is fine if you do not show your dogs and you one have one.
    I have cropped ever since we had more than one bully in the house. A couple years ago when we got a second one we wound up having to crop her ears because when they were playing her ear got split. I am not talking just the tip either, it was almost to the base of her skull. She never whined when it happened and it was only the blood that led us to a problem. They do play really rough so I now deem it necessary to be cropped in our house.
    In this instance, I can see it as necessary. But I do think a lot of times people get them because they're "tough" dogs and normally people recognize a pit by their cropped ears. This is when I don't understand the reason behind it, because I supposed there isn't much of one. I can't fathom causing my furry babies to be in pain for a cosmetic reason only. When I had my Am. Staff. people in publc would literally argue with me about her breed, because she had the cropped ears. I know they look almost identical, but she wasn't a pit.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ShortStack For This Useful Post:

merdcme (01-14-2011)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShortStack View Post
    I would literally argue with me about her breed, because she had the cropped ears. I know they look almost identical, but she wasn't a pit.
    But, yes she was. DNA puts the AmStaff, Stafford, APBT, Sharpei, Dogo, and a couple others in the same code.

Now as the IDIOTS here in San Antonio Texas Animal Control define it.............
    "A Pitbull is any dog with a short coat and muscular build"

Funny thing is out Chihuahua was in a weight pull once as a joke and she pulled a shocking 65 pound on a sled!!!!! Guess she is a bully too?????
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 01-07-2011 at 02:09 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

merdcme (01-07-2011)

Thanks

But, yes she was. DNA puts the AmStaff, Stafford, APBT, Sharpei, Dogo, and a couple others in the same code.
    Learn something new everyday The way I had it explained to me, they were like "cousins" in the breed, but I didn't realize they were that closely related genetically.

Now as the IDIOTS here in San Antonio Texas Animal Control define it.............
    "A Pitbull is any dog with a short coat and muscular build"
    Idiots. I've also heard(not sure how true this is)that many times when there is a dog attack, when someone will describe a dog to the media, that if it remotely fits a description similar to that, then they report it was a pit. If that is the case, it's just more reason for people to give pits a bad name. I regret having to give one of mine away, to with a situation that happened, I felt it was best for him and myself at the time. He was re-homed in a great family, that provided a better suited environment for him. In the end, that was what was most important. I would have another pit or Am. Staff. in a heartbeat if I were to get another larger dog.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ShortStack For This Useful Post:

merdcme (01-07-2011)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by merdcme View Post
    and they are amazing looking imo. i love it. to give credit where credit is due heres the link to the kennel the stud male came from. they have some killer tri-colors, and are just an awesomely stacked kennel. http://www.ultimatebluepitbulls.com/index.html

you've got to check out there breeders. i love the blue tri-colors
    No offense but that kennel is a byb joke like 99% of the Ambully breeders, they claim to be breeding APBT first off, even though they can't write the breed name correctly, they say they are breeding for health and temperment, but none of the dogs has any health testing, or obedience titles, temperment testing, etc. $3000 a pup? For what? Letting some more big blue dogs mate, like everyone and their brother isn't doing that. Razors Edge dogs are everywhere, I don't understand why people would pay those prices, these dogs are showing up in shelters left and right.

Your pups are cute, just watch their weight, most Ambully owners keep their dogs massively fat and that is horrible on their joints but it's like a biggest dog contest in that breed and most have no idea what a correct weight is. Large breed dogs have enough issues without their owners making more. Ambullies are supposed to be less dog aggressive than APBT but I'd still keep an eye out with two same sex bullies when they mature.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

merdcme (01-07-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So cute!!! Dad is a beef cake!!! I've actually run across those pictures of him before!

As for the ear argument, I put my puppy through "pain and agony" just for looks. I don't want a natural dobie, they aren't regal with floppy ears. For pits it really doesn't matter, they will end up in shelters either way because of the stigma attached, but the dobies that end up in shelters are the dobies who aren't cropped.
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 01-07-2011 at 06:43 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

merdcme (01-07-2011),PitOnTheProwl (01-07-2011)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast