Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,920

3 members and 2,917 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,586
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, masdiprizio
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New BP- too tame/docile??

Hi all, I am new to this forum so thanks for you patience. I just purchased my first ball python last week. From the time I got him home, he seems super docile. Not jumpy when I took him out...he hung out in my hands no problem...although I realize he should have some no-contact time for awhile, I took him out of his habitat after a few days. He just sits in my hands or on my lap...his movement is minimal (usually just wraps around a couple of fingers and sits there). Not jumpy when I take him out of the habitat.
    I fed him for the first time today and he ate.
    I am wondering if he is okay because he seems much more calm than I had expected. My other snake (a corn) was very jumpy and fast for the first several months (still cant take him far from the tank b/c he's a fast lil sucker).

Is this normal?

Thanks

Re: New BP- too tame/docile??

You should give them minimum a week to settle into a new place, but your snake's calm nature is completely normal. Balls are like living rocks compared to corns lol. Most are incredibly docile, which is why so many people love them. Also, make sure you give him at least two days after he's eaten to digest before handling him again.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to your new addiction!
    Last edited by Alexandra V; 01-01-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks
    This is extremely normal. No snake is the same.
    Your little guy is like my pastel. She finds a spot she likes and just chills haha.
    Welcome to the forum!
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Spider

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Hello, and to BP.net...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    He sounds chill. I'd say give him time to settle, make sure he has enough hiding space, high enough temps and humidity and time to digest between meals. Otherwise, enjoy! He sounds like a mellow little dude. If he wasn't eating or had trouble breathing it would be problematic. He's probably just docile. My pastel female zooms around always looking for food, but otherwise she has no issues being handled. (that was my fault for underfeeding her a little, oops ><) but some of them are just cool hanging out!
    1.0 Het Piebald (Lycaeus)
    1.0 Spider (V "Fawkes")
    0.1 Piebald (Fia)
    0.2 Pastel (Chalcomede & Daeneyrs "Dany")
    0.1 orangebelly (Secha "Veruca Salt")

R.I.P my babies
    Texas luecistic ratsnake (Ripley) 0.1
    Ball Python (Ariadne) 0.1
    Ball Python (Montreal) 1.0

Thanks
    sounds like you got a great BP wish mine liked to just chill lol but she is miss explorer lol never wants to sit still when i take her out of the tank

Thanks
    A bp could never be to tame or docile in my opinion :p
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Spider

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Yeah, some bps are lazier than others, but you rarely find one that's a squirmy as a corn. (Though they'll be lazier when they're cold. What are your warm side temps?)

Did you get him from a pet store? Pet store pythons sometimes have issues, but I have noticed that they're also often much more "well-socialized"--ie. already used to glass tanks and being handled by strange humans.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loonunit View Post
    Yeah, some bps are lazier than others, but you rarely find one that's a squirmy as a corn. (Though they'll be lazier when they're cold. What are your warm side temps?)

Did you get him from a pet store? Pet store pythons sometimes have issues, but I have noticed that they're also often much more "well-socialized"--ie. already used to glass tanks and being handled by strange humans.
    I dont think my warm temps are as high as they should be...I have an undertank heater and a 50w lamp on top. it gets to about 80 degrees.
    I did get him from a pet store. I went searching at a reptile show but the majority of breeders were from out of town, some couldnt answer simple questions, etc. I got my corn from the same store and had a good experience.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. and yes...after spending another week with him I think I see the addiction creeping up

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MulataSalsera View Post
    I dont think my warm temps are as high as they should be...I have an undertank heater and a 50w lamp on top. it gets to about 80 degrees.
    I did get him from a pet store. I went searching at a reptile show but the majority of breeders were from out of town, some couldnt answer simple questions, etc. I got my corn from the same store and had a good experience.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. and yes...after spending another week with him I think I see the addiction creeping up
    Uhhhhm with a UTH and a lamp it should be a lot higher than 80 degrees. What are you measuring your temperatures with?
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast