Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,347

1 members and 3,346 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question What's the best housing strategy for a male BP that will breed multiple females?

I have two adult male ball pythons that I would like to breed to multiple females this season (up to three for each), but I'm not sure what the best housing strategy for such a male is. I have been rotating my lesser between the cages of two females and have witnessed locks with both of them. With the albino male, I have been putting him back into his own cage between overnight visits to a couple of females, and he has not shown any interest in either one of them. I'm not sure if I should be leaving him in longer with them or what would work the best.

So, I'm just wondering what you guys think.... Does it work best just to rotate a male between the females' cages every week or so? Keep a male in with a female only if he is displaying courtship behavior? Is it beneficial to keep him in his own cage between visiting the females? Neither of my males have any interest in food right now, so I doubt they will need any time for digestion. I'm curious to hear what you all find to be the best housing strategy for effectively breeding one male to multiples females?
    ~Wendy~

RepStylin®

Reptile Collection: Amazon Tree Boas, Ball Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Carpet Pythons, Chondro, Corn Snakes, King Snakes, Milk Snakes and a Retic. Too many morphs to list anymore!

Thanks
    Normal is 3 days on 3 days rest just rotate between the females gotta give them time ti di their thing. If the males are ready to go they will

3. The Following User Says Thank You to frenchy For This Useful Post:

wendhend (12-31-2010)

Thanks
    I do 3 days in with a female then 4 days in his own cage. It may take a few times with each female before you start seeing locks!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to seeya205 For This Useful Post:

wendhend (01-01-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: What's the best housing strategy for a male BP that will breed multiple females?

You still want to give your male time to rest, even if he's not currently showing interest. I do 3 days in with a female (or until the lock is over) and 4 days of rest.

I pay even closer attention to my males for signs of stress that could lead to a RI and give them longer rest if I feel they need it.

For the albino - I'd put him in with female 1, and if he hasn't locked in 24 hours, move him to female 2 and then 4 days of rest (unless you have another female, then move him to female 3 if he hasn't locked with female 2 in 24 hours).

You could also put two females and him in one tub together - that will sometimes encourage him to breed as well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

wendhend (01-01-2011)