Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,354

1 members and 3,353 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reptile shows

Thanks

Reptile shows

Hi everyone. I've just got a quick question to shoot out to you all. I'm looking into buying another snake in a few months and I'm just curious - would buying from someone at a show be a good idea or buying from a reputable breeder online be better? I've never been to a reptile show before, and will likely go regardless of my desire to purchase anything or not, but I'm curious. I'm willing to spend 2-300 dollars on a snake, before enclosure costs, but I'm not sure how much it costs to ship a snake either . Thanks!

Thanks
    Many good breeders are at the shows. I have never bought a snake from a breeder at a show but they have always been friendly and helped me. They generally have a large selection of breeders and snakes at these shows, so you can do a comparison. the prices seem pretty good as well.

if you where to buy a snake off line it would also cost to ship it and that wouldnt make it to happy aswell.you also can see the snake befor you buy it. with a breeder at the show they may let you handle it befor you make the decision.

the show that i go to is scott smiths all animal expo. tipe that in at google and you should be able to find it.

good luck

Thanks
    Seeing a snake online is a lot different than seeing a snake in person.
    You would have to wait for a show to come into your area.
    You could also maybe look for some breeders that are located in your area or are in a reasonable driving distance.
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Spider

Thanks

Re: Reptile shows

i like picking them at shows it just seems way better to get to choose and hold them before you make your choice.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DZ Reptiles View Post
    Seeing a snake online is a lot different than seeing a snake in person.
    You would have to wait for a show to come into your area.
    You could also maybe look for some breeders that are located in your area or are in a reasonable driving distance.
    x2

Thanks
    I will try to do some research and find a breeder in the Indianapolis area, unless someone here knows of one and feels like sharing . Thanks! We're looking to get a female, preferably a hatchling so we can take a couple years to research and get the proper setup going to start breeding on a small scale.

Thanks

I went to my first Repticon a couple of months ago, and was amazed at the sheer numbers of both beautiful reptiles, and knowledgable breeders.

To me, there's no good reason NOT to buy the snake you want at a show.

Thanks
    I've done both. Shows are cool cause you see and feel the snake before you purchase and it's awesome to check out what different breeders have and talk with them. Shippings okay too although it feels like until that fedex truck arrives the clock stands still. Either way do your research and buy from a reputable breeder.
    Last edited by corgigirl9; 12-30-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks
    Buying from a show is much more reliable and can cost a fraction of buying on the web. You can see the snakes, their parents and etc. The breeders there are always very friendly and helpful, sometimes you even see some familiar faces of highly known breeders on the web and what not. So all in all, each ways are good ways to purchase a BP, but in my opinion there is no better experience of purchasing a BP than at a show.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeviBP View Post
    Buying from a show is much more reliable and can cost a fraction of buying on the web. You can see the snakes, their parents and etc. The breeders there are always very friendly and helpful, sometimes you even see some familiar faces of highly known breeders on the web and what not. So all in all, each ways are good ways to purchase a BP, but in my opinion there is no better experience of purchasing a BP than at a show.
    How is buying from a show more reliable? Don't get me wrong - I attend shows quite often, but I rarely bring anything home. Mostly because I don't find exactly what I'm looking for at the shows. I'm extremely picky in the look of the animal that I'm out to buy, and rarely find the "gems" at the shows.

Most of my buying has been online, my selling has been split between online and shows.

I'm more concerned about illnesses being shared at shows than when buying online from a reputable breeder. Because of this concern, every animal I take to a show goes directly into quarantine upon my return.

Go to the show with money in your pocket so if you see something that you just can't leave without, you can do so, but don't rule out buying online either. There are some amazing animals available online that you wouldn't be able to get at a show (because that particular breeder may not be in your area and doing YOUR shows).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast