Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,438

1 members and 3,437 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Sexing a Florida Soft Shell

Hey Everyone!

My Florida Soft Shell Surf is about two years old now and has about a 7 inch shell length. Does anyone know any methods of being able to sex these types of turtles. I have heard that the tail size in this specific species of turtle differes depending on sex, but I'm not sure how reliable this is.

I truly hope he is male as the females get huge. Currently he is happy in a 125 gallon tank, hoping he will be able to remain in this the rest of his life.
    Lucas (LC)| Snake Hunter Exotics | Like Us on Facebook | @TheSnakeHunter

Lots of snakes, a bunch of horses and an array of other animals small and large!

Thanks

Re: Sexing a Florida Soft Shell

Tail size is definitely an indicator, but at 2 years of age I'm not sure if you would be able to tell. You might have success by looking at the cloaca. If it goes beyond the edge of the shell, then it's likely a male.

I have a spiny softshell and I'm also hoping it's a male. They grow fast huh? Mine is a yearling and is about 4 inches. You have pics? I would love to see that 125 setup!

Thanks

Re: Sexing a Florida Soft Shell

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieJ View Post
    Tail size is definitely an indicator, but at 2 years of age I'm not sure if you would be able to tell. You might have success by looking at the cloaca. If it goes beyond the edge of the shell, then it's likely a male.

I have a spiny softshell and I'm also hoping it's a male. They grow fast huh? Mine is a yearling and is about 4 inches. You have pics? I would love to see that 125 setup!
    hey MarkieJ - I just got Surf in his new tank after Christmas, upgraded him from his original 40 gallon breeder. I will try and get some pics up by the weekend. Setup is still pretty minimal as Surf just usually moves everything around anyways. I try and make it look all nice and then I go to feed in the morning and all of the plants and rocks are just in one big pile in the corner of the tank. lol
    Lucas (LC)| Snake Hunter Exotics | Like Us on Facebook | @TheSnakeHunter

Lots of snakes, a bunch of horses and an array of other animals small and large!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to el8ch For This Useful Post:

MarkieJ (01-03-2011)