Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,706

2 members and 2,704 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New Tank Setup - Heating Info!

Hey All - Just got my first Ball Python and setup the tank according to the store where I had purchased him. They suggested to use only ceramic heat emitters with infared bulbs. So far the ambient heat temp, high/low temps are okay, but they don't seem too consistent through out the course of the day and seem to dry out the air considerably. I'm not sure why they suggested against Under Tank Heating pads... Would anyone mind addressing the pros/cons of UTH vs. CHE?? and if UTH should be used with or without the use of a device such as a herpstat.

Thanks in advance! =)
    Lucas (LC)| Snake Hunter Exotics | Like Us on Facebook | @TheSnakeHunter

Lots of snakes, a bunch of horses and an array of other animals small and large!

Thanks
    CHE's are fine heating sources, I use them all the time for night heaters for lizards, but I would not use a CHE for a snake. All the misters in the world would not be enough to counter a CHE.

I've used lamps for snakes, but in the end they just aren't as convenient as UTH's. I find UTH's to be easier to control, and more efficient for warming animals that spend all day hiding beneath things, not basking. Yes they fluctuate, yes they can be dangerous, but I prefer them over any other heat source for snakes.

Thermostats are a must for heat tape. Heat mats, like the ones ZooMed makes, are not capable of getting as hot as heat tape, but still dangerously hot, and should be controlled by something. Many people will tell you thermostats (such as the herpstat) are necessary, but I have used heat mats with rheostats (dimmers), and there is no problem. Rheostats require daily monitoring of temps and adjusting, but are very simple to use. That said, thermostats are the best ways of controlling any heat source, the only problem is you'll end up paying at least $60 for a working thermostat, versus $10 for a rheostat at Lowes.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crazy4Herps For This Useful Post:

el8ch (12-28-2010),PitOnTheProwl (12-30-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Crazy4 has the right of it. The CHE's tend to dry out things a lot and if the tank is a tall one they often don't get a hot spot (generally accepted 90-94) They can be use to try and lift the ambient temps up some but are not very efficient to do so.

UTH need some sort of control there are a lot out there the advantage of a programable proportional control (herpstat, helix, excozone) is you don't have to mess with it, set it where you want it and it takes care of the rest. The cheap on off type (zoo med 500r) can allow very high spikes if there is not some sort of intermediate space in between. I don't have any experience with the programable devices like a ranco so I can speak to it.

Rheostats can not adjust for room temperatures variations, they either need to be in a constant room temp or need to be adjusted everyday. Thermostats will do that daily adjustment for you.
    Alex

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

el8ch (12-28-2010)

Thanks
    Thanks for info guys - I went to some of my local reptile shops today and the only temperature controllers that I found were the "zoo med 500r" or similar models. After all I have read I think I am leaning towards the digital type (herpstat, helix) etc. I don't mind spending the money to get the job done right the first time. I would much prefer a happy snake over a little bit of savings. I tweaked the tank a bit more today without disturbing Tango too much and I got the humidity to stay at a constant of 55%-60% with an ambient air temp of about 85ish and my temp gauge that is situated on the hot side under the hide reading around 88-90. I have a small infrared heat lamp off to the side of the tank which is helping heat up the substrate near the hide.

I did purchase the UTH today so now it is just a matter or tracking down a suitable thermostat. One of the bigger reptile locations near me (Reptilia) told me I would have to order some of the higher end products online as they are not readily available and/or distributed in Canada. Can anyone in the GTA suggest any good suppliers?

Either way my Ball seems to be settling in nicely to his new digs - looking forward to his first feeding attempt after he gets some more time to get acclimatized.

Lots of snakes, a bunch of horses and an array of other animals small and large!

Thanks
    Greg West (cornell's world) sells the herpstats or you can order from Dion directly (spyder robotics) I have never bought a helix so I can't tell you about ordering one. I have not had problems with customs upon entering Canada but you never know. The are both great to deal with and really the cost isn't that much more for a herpstat looking at the total costs of everything else.

Greg is in Alberta so it is a mail order for both.

Alex

Thanks

Re: New Tank Setup - Heating Info!

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    Greg West (cornell's world) sells the herpstats or you can order from Dion directly (spyder robotics) I have never bought a helix so I can't tell you about ordering one. I have not had problems with customs upon entering Canada but you never know. The are both great to deal with and really the cost isn't that much more for a herpstat looking at the total costs of everything else.

Greg is in Alberta so it is a mail order for both.

Alex
    Hey Alex - thanks again for the info. I found a place just North of me in Barrie (about an hour) called Royal Python Ranch. They have a pretty nice selections of snakes too. Looks like they are a dealer for Spyder Robotics. Going to give them a ding tomorrow and see what stock is like. If not I will give Greg a call.

Any suggestion on Herpstat vs Herpstat ND or Herpstat II for a single tank setup?

Thanks

Sorry, I have very little knowledge on the Herpstats aside from that they are good thermostats. I personally use Johnsons t'stats for my enclosures, $80 from Boaphile. Works very well for individual setups, but is workable for multiple enclosures as well. From what I have heard, the Ranco is basically the same as the Johnsons, while Herpstats and Helixes are slightly more advanced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4Herps View Post
    Sorry, I have very little knowledge on the Herpstats aside from that they are good thermostats. I personally use Johnsons t'stats for my enclosures, $80 from Boaphile. Works very well for individual setups, but is workable for multiple enclosures as well. From what I have heard, the Ranco is basically the same as the Johnsons, while Herpstats and Helixes are slightly more advanced.
    Hey Crazy4Herps - Appreciate the honesty. I talked to the supplier here for Spyder Robotics basically advised that the Herpstat will suit all my needs for a single setup unless I wanted my night temp to drop off at all. So looks like I'm going to go with the basic Herpstat to control my UTH. $165 shipped to my door taxes in. Should have it in a couple days if all goes well. I can't see myself spending that much each time I aquire a snake though. Will check out Boaphile to see what they have for a future setups. My wife is going to have a fit as tubs start filling the basement! hehehe

Thanks
    Sounds good. Glad you got it worked out.

Thanks
    el8ch that is great. I Have an ND but I often don't use the drop feature. I would have suggested the regular one. I didn't know Royal Python Ranch was a dealer too. I'll have to check them out. I have to order almost everything here in NS. I think you'll be happy with the herpstat it is worry free. If only every thing I have to use had such a simple menue I would be so much happier.

Good Luck,
    Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast