Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,233

1 members and 3,232 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Shedding?

Thanks

Shedding?

So I have two bps, they're housed together in a 20 gallon long. UTH on one side also with a lamp for extra heat, that is turned off at night. Asen as a bedding, three hides on the warm side, and two on the cool side (one of which is a humid hide). The temps stay around 90 on the warm side, and im guessing 75-80 on the cool side(sorry i havn't got a second temp gauge). One of the two is having shedding problems. I know for a fact that the humdity is not a problem because my other bp has no problems and always sheds in one piece. I started giving my bp(the one with shedding problems) baths since i know it will help a little, but he is still having problems. Ive also bought this spray thats supposedly supposed to help with shedding but it doesn't do crap. Wanted to know if any one else knows whats wrong? Ohh yeah and i know the risks of housing 2 bps together, so i dont need any input on that.
    Last edited by B-fish; 12-27-2010 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks
    Bad sheds can also be caused by stress. Housing 2 ball pythons together causes stress.
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Spider

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Shedding?

Alright...no input on the cohabitation.

You should get a night time light for the heat lamp and leave it on 24/7 to maintain steady temps at all times. A drop in temps at night is not needed or wanted.

You can find a dual-digital thermometer AND hygrometer at Walmart or some hardware stores...usually around $12-$14. It will allow you to measure temps on both sides of the enclosure as well as the humidity levels all in one unit.

Some snakes are more sensitive to humidity issues than others. While one snake may shed fine at whatever your current humidity is...that does not mean it should be sufficient for the second snake. I'd highly recommend you get something to measure both the cool-side/ambient temps as well as your overall humidity. In the meantime, you can still take measures to increase your ambient humidity by covering the screen top and/or using a larger water bowl with a wide surface area or any of the other methods for maintaining humidity in a glass tank with a heat lamp.

I agree the "shed-aid" stuff is a waste of money. Soaking BEFORE the actual sloughing off of the skin can make things more difficult rather than help. Soaking AFTER the skin has already flaked and stuck to the snake will help tremendously.

And while it's not all that common, some individual balls are just terrible shedders no matter how optimal their environment.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    I have the same problems with my Spider... He just doesn't have the whole process down yet I guess!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I sometimes have to put a damp (not soaked, or dripping at all!) hand towel or small washcloth draped over a hide or two. Some snakes don't seem to care for humid hides. My guys all hate them! I occasionally have to put the snake inside a smaller container a(make sure it has an UTH with a warm and cool side, just like their cage) and then I put them in there with some damp moss, towels or a couple humid hides.
    Get another thermometer that also measure humidity. If you are housing them together, at least make sure you can tell accurate temps and humidity in their cage so you know everything else is controlled. Good job having lots of hides for them! I tell people not to house together, but I know sometimes it isn't easy to run out and get a new setup, so providing them with equally good hiding places should help the stress levels. Do you mist their cage at all? Once you get the hydrogemeter (can't spell... sorry) you can mist the cage everyday and see how your humidity looks.
    1.0 Het Piebald (Lycaeus)
    1.0 Spider (V "Fawkes")
    0.1 Piebald (Fia)
    0.2 Pastel (Chalcomede & Daeneyrs "Dany")
    0.1 orangebelly (Secha "Veruca Salt")

R.I.P my babies
    Texas luecistic ratsnake (Ripley) 0.1
    Ball Python (Ariadne) 0.1
    Ball Python (Montreal) 1.0

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the input. After I soaked him today for the first time his shed started to peel. So after JLC's suggestions I decided to give him another bath and now everythings gravy. Hopefully the next shed goes as smoothly;]
    Last edited by B-fish; 12-27-2010 at 08:54 PM.