Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,145

1 members and 3,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

uh oh !!!! mildew ????? help plz

so i changed my snakes water and newspaper thursday night and left out of town friday morning, well returning tonight(sunday) i open my pastels tank and i see what looks to be mildew or something growing.. it was 88 degrees in his tank and there only source of humidity is from there water bowl.. they are shedding full sheds so im not worried about humidity atm ..... has anyone else seen this and also how can i prevent this.. i changed the newspaper about once a week usually after they use the bathroom..

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks
    hmmm that is pretty fast for mold. But then again I live in AZ...humidity is a rare find here...

Are they dumping their water at all??? Maybe try to use paper towels or check them on a daily basis and change as needed.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

Re: uh oh !!!! mildew ????? help plz

haha we were just talking about the "lesser" hehe ... ya i dont know how it grew in just 3 days .... im using the weekly ads from lowes for my substrate .. maybe 3-4 pages is to thick and its holding moisture.. i will try to just put it 1 page thick and see what that does, it didnt seem like he knocked his water over

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XIIIPythons View Post
    so i changed my snakes water and newspaper thursday night and left out of town friday morning, well returning tonight(sunday) i open my pastels tank and i see what looks to be mildew or something growing.. it was 88 degrees in his tank and there only source of humidity is from there water bowl.. they are shedding full sheds so im not worried about humidity atm ..... has anyone else seen this and also how can i prevent this.. i changed the newspaper about once a week usually after they use the bathroom..

I just recently got into BP's but I always had Boa's. I had the same issue, come to find out whether you believe this or not depending on where you get the paper from 8 times out of 10 the paper is already moist. So when it gets into a humid area with high heat it grows faster because its already been moist for a while. I switch from Newspaper to the Papertowls to avoid that issue and I havent had that problem since. Papertowls are bought dry and wrapped so you dont have to worry about it... Hope this helps. Take it easy...

Thanks

ya that makes very good sense.. well paper towels it is then... thanks guys, and girls

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks
    You can also buy unprinted newspapers. I heard that you can buy the end rolls from the newspaper or I think Lowes might have them as well.. Maybe that would be better???

We use paper towels and I can tell you...wow...it does get expensive...
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list