Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,825

1 members and 2,824 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Walking Horses Vs. Quarter Horses

I'm personally a Walking Horse fan, and proud owner of two Tennessee Walkers, a Rocky Mountain, and a double registered mare: Kentucky Mountain - Tennessee Walker.

However, I've owned the best of 20 horses in my life, the majority being Quarter horses. However I enjoy the heightened personality, smooth riding, and style of my walkers over my quarters.

But for heavy showing, I would encourage a Quarter.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Re: Walking Horses Vs. Quarter Horses

I have always been a QH person since that is what I grew up with. That said, I do like the height and the can do attitude of most TBs. I think a good TB can do well in any discipline due to that willingness. My OTTB has just been wonderful with learning new things and boy has he taken to kids. I can't believe I let myself get away from this world for the past 15 years!

I do love Walkers but have only ridden one a few times in my life. Very interesting gait when you are not used to it, but fun.
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

Thanks
    That's kind of an apples & oranges question. Showing in what events? What disciplines?

Yes, quarter horses tend to make a great all-'round horse (although different lines have been bred/overbred for various disciplines these days), but you wouldn't take one into a gaited class.

TWH's tend to make fantastic pleasure horses & show horses in the disciplines for which they've been bred & developed, but I wouldn't throw one in a show pen full of cattle against a QH from good cutting horse lines & expect it to perform the same. That would be like expecting to turn a Belgian Draft into a world-class showjumper, or a Friesian into a typey, fancy hunter that cleans up on the A circuit.

Awesome thing about all of it is, there are a LOT of great horses in the world, regardless of breed.

$.02...
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have always just had quarters so I can't say I've gotten the pleasure to ride a few gaited horses and it's so different, but very cool! Both gated horses were fox trotters, and I'm trying to weasel my way in to riding some pasos! I bet I would like walkers though, I like the crazy ones

And showing would definitely have to depend on what type of showing you want to do.
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 12-26-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    Which is better at Jousting?

Seriously though, one of my life goals is to learn to joust.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlitherinSisters View Post
    We have always just had quarters so I can't say I've gotten the pleasure to ride a few gaited horses and it's so different, but very cool! Both gated horses were fox trotters, and I'm trying to weasel my way in to riding some pasos! I bet I would like walkers though, I like the crazy ones

And showing would definitely have to depend on what type of showing you want to do.
    Yeah definitely, I do mounted shooting with walking horses as along with poles, and the qh's I've had just haven't been able to keep up to their pace, not that their not as fast, but try to aim at a balloon while jumping on a trampoline sometime lol.

The main reason I'm such a fan of Walkers is the quality of the ride, if your into riding, and forgetting about all the shows, a walking horse is for you, hands down the highest quality, smoothest ride will come from a walking horse. But for most showing, yeah, your going to be looking at a QH-- if that's all your into.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Which is better at Jousting?

Seriously though, one of my life goals is to learn to joust.
    Haha you're probably going to break a few ribs either way, but scientifically, if you want to generate the most force, you'll want the faster horse which will be a QH.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    That's kind of an apples & oranges question. Showing in what events? What disciplines?

Yes, quarter horses tend to make a great all-'round horse (although different lines have been bred/overbred for various disciplines these days), but you wouldn't take one into a gaited class.

TWH's tend to make fantastic pleasure horses & show horses in the disciplines for which they've been bred & developed, but I wouldn't throw one in a show pen full of cattle against a QH from good cutting horse lines & expect it to perform the same. That would be like expecting to turn a Belgian Draft into a world-class showjumper, or a Friesian into a typey, fancy hunter that cleans up on the A circuit.

Awesome thing about all of it is, there are a LOT of great horses in the world, regardless of breed.

$.02...
    It's nothing that personal, just your overall personal preference... What is your favorite?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeviBP View Post
    It's nothing that personal, just your overall personal preference... What is your favorite?
    Andalusians & Lusitanos.
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I'm definitely a Quarterhorse kind of person

That said, I don't like the "Halter" type QH, or the ones that are trained to do the extreme Western Pleasure gaits. I just like the all around, great personality and versatility kind of Quarterhorse.

For the gaited type, I like the look of the Missouri Foxtrotters, simply because to me they resemble the Quarterhorse type a bit. I just don't like narrow chested horses . That said, there are wonderful horses in every breed !!! I've ridden some "regular" horses that were smoother then some gaited ones, that were really uncomfortable. I've ridden some smooth as glass gaited horses as well.

Thankfully my QH mare is smooth, I don't much enjoy a horse with a "stabbing" or uncomfortable gait.

Its wonderful that there are so many breeds to choose from, there is something for everyone

I do have to say , my QH mare has a ton of personality. I swear, she talks to me I can read her like a book. Its really nice to build such a bond with a horse...
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast