Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,306

2 members and 3,304 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: So I want to get a baby BD but.....

I can't comment on beardies (I've only had mine for a day so far lol) but leopard geckos, crested geckos and dubia roaches I can.

Out of all my reptiles, the most personable is the bearded dragon, followed by leos, then cresteds then my snakes.

With leos and cresteds, you want to get animals that tolerate handling. I have some of each that just don't enjoy being handled and you can tell it stresses them, so I mostly leave them alone and handle the animals that tolerate it better.

I've been breeding my own dubias for a year. I had crickets for 5 days with my first two leos before I decided NO MORE. The colony is expensive to get going, but in the year I've had them, the startup cost was probably 70 dollars and I've spent about 35 making roach food (which I still have a small trashcan full of). If you are serious about it, they are EASY. They like it hot and relatively humid (70-75% or so). They will die if it goes to low. They like it dark and quiet and can withstand incredible population density, unlike crickets.

If i find i'm feeding to heavily out of my colony I give it a rest for a few weeks and supplement with meal worms or something else for a bit.

Those saying you can't feed roaches to baby dragons... I cant find any reason not to feed them. Baby dubia roaches are small enough for viper geckos to eat. The xtra small babies are less than 1/4th of an inch and pose no choking danger to a dragon of any size.

My 4week old beardie has already taken quite a few dubias over his feedings in the last day. So even an animal started on crickets can switch. they move around so they will trigger a feeding response.

Thanks
    Ya me and my gf are gana get a BD in a few months and prob start breeeding the roaches soon after. thanx everyone who posted
    Rasmey

1corn
    1ball python 50% het albino
    tons of mice and rats

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Herp4life11 View Post
    Ya me and my gf are gana get a BD in a few months and prob start breeeding the roaches soon after. thanx everyone who posted
    I would get your colony first, so it can get settled and start producing. Beardies eat a lot!

Thanks
    yes my baby beardie ate 100 lobster roach nymphs today it was insane. She even did this during a shed. she's nice and relaxed at the moment on her basking rock

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks
    Dubias are actually one of the best thing to feed beardies as their chitlin (shell) is A LOT less than that of any cricket. Hard to belive but its true. They are actually very good for any reptile that eats buggies....I have heard of ppl feeding their chams those and the chams colors are amazing??? I personally have not tried it. Would like to but again....just a scardey cat. I may have to have Cinderbird talk me off the edge...lol
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
    Dubias are actually one of the best thing to feed beardies as their chitlin (shell) is A LOT less than that of any cricket. Hard to belive but its true. They are actually very good for any reptile that eats buggies....I have heard of ppl feeding their chams those and the chams colors are amazing??? I personally have not tried it. Would like to but again....just a scardey cat. I may have to have Cinderbird talk me off the edge...lol
    Come to me Michelle, I'll sweet talk you over to the dark side...

Thanks
    Hahahaha! The dark side
    Rasmey

1corn
    tons of mice and rats

Thanks
    How would I get a colony started(Roaches)? How much does it cost and how time consuming is it?
    Rasmey

1corn
    tons of mice and rats

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    One thing you have to watch with bait store crickets is the size. If you got a baby BD, then bait store crickets might be way too large(they usually get in large crickets because people want a large cricket for fish bait).

I've heard great things about roachs as feeders. In Florida, I can't get them shipped to me(Boo!) but I've been told by a ton of folks that they have great results in feeding roachs.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    lol geez I get like 30, 1-2 pound rabbits for like 150$, shipped. Feeds a large constrictor for a year.
    0.1 werewolf killer retic
    1.0 dwarf doublehet snow retic
    0.1 tiger white phase retic
    1.0 purple phase retic
    0.1 platinum tiger retic
    1.0 platinum retic
    0.1 hypo pastel BCI
    0.1 guyana BCC

1.0 bull terrier

3 Sentec cages @ 96x30x22.5

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123