Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,362

1 members and 3,361 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Acting weird and hopein it's not a RI

Hi. I just got a ball these pass saturday and I have noticed that when I have her out of her cage she holds her head in the air and opens her mouth here and there..not alot but if I hold her for abt 5mins she opens it about 5 times..mostly she does it when she out the cage..i asked the owner before me how long has she been doin it and he said she hasnt ..i feed her yesterday and she ate just fine...she doesn't have anything wrong wit her mouth so I don't think it's mouth rot. No mites/ticks..weights good..temp is good since I have had her...she is about 33" long and is 2 years old...she does have eye caps still on her and alil of some old skin still on her so I'm gonna guess doesn't shedd good..i can kinda hear her breathe or some kind of noise when her mouth is open..a noise sometimes tho,and always holds her head up openin mouth...

Thanks

Re: Acting weird and hopein it's not a RI

That sounds a lot like RI to me, definitely take her to the vet. All of the symptoms you described are symptoms of RI and really aren't normal.
    1.3 lovely normals 1.1 Piebald 0.1 red tail boa (Pandora) 1.0 sinaloan milk snake and one nasty corn snake! 2.3.1 Cresties 0.0.1 chahoua 0.0.1 leachianus
    1.1 Ferrets (Snoball & Panda)

Banned
    Thanks

Yep...sounds like the start of an RI to BG. You're gonna need to get that checked out. Sooner than later.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    Yep...sounds like the start of an RI to BG. You're gonna need to get that checked out. Sooner than later.
    I'm gonna take her tomorr..it sucks cause I just gave $300 for her and a 75gallon nice tank wit alot of other rep stuff and xmas is right around the corner and done my xmas shoppin already and got her,so only got 65 bucks to my name..kinda happen at the wrong time but maybe I can get them to work wit me on her...i think the guy knew she had it cause when I asked him how long she been doin that and he just said she has and IDK and wouldn't say anything else to me after that...does any one know how much it usely cost for a RI

Thanks
    75 gallon is a tad big, maybe you can get a smaller tank that's a better size and sell that one for a little extra cash?
    0.1 Blue Beauty Snake

1.2 Normals
    0.1 Mystic
    0.1 Pastel Poss Het Ghost
    1.0 Banana Bumblebee

0.1 Common Snapping Turtle

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lopezstud87 View Post
    I'm gonna take her tomorr..it sucks cause I just gave $300 for her and a 75gallon nice tank wit alot of other rep stuff and xmas is right around the corner and done my xmas shoppin already and got her,so only got 65 bucks to my name..kinda happen at the wrong time but maybe I can get them to work wit me on her...i think the guy knew she had it cause when I asked him how long she been doin that and he just said she has and IDK and wouldn't say anything else to me after that...does any one know how much it usely cost for a RI
    Well from what I understand the vet will probably do a culture to check and see how severe it is and what meds to use. Typically they will prescribe Baytril, Fortaz, or Amakacin as an antibiotic. I asked in another thread a while back and someone said that in their area it's $30 for the visit, and around 30 for the meds depending on what is needed and how much. It might vary though based on your area and the vet. To help fight it though keep your temps high (but don't cook her) and that should help fire up her immune system.

It could have been that the previous owner either didn't know/care about the RI or needed to sell her in a pinch and didn't mention it on purpose. And btw I am bit of a newb here so take everything I just said in stride.
    Last edited by thedarkwolf25; 12-21-2010 at 09:05 AM.
    iHerp - http://www.iherp.com/thedarkwolf25

1.1.0 Normal BP (Hera) (Eden)
    1.0.0 Pastel BP (Homer)
    1.0.0 Corn Snake (Zeus)
    0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Athena)
    0.1.0 Red Tail Boa (Persephine)
    0.1.0 50% Dwarf Retic (Isis)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Spyro)
    3.1.0 Cats (Rajah, Muffin, Storm, Ladybug)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedarkwolf25 View Post
    Well from what I understand the vet will probably do a culture to check and see how severe it is and what meds to use. Typically they will prescribe Baytril, Fortaz, or Amakacin as an antibiotic. I asked in another thread a while back and someone said that in their area it's $30 for the visit, and around 30 for the meds depending on what is needed and how much. It might vary though based on your area and the vet. To help fight it though keep your temps high (but don't cook her) and that should help fire up her immune system.

It could have been that the previous owner either didn't know/care about the RI or needed to sell her in a pinch and didn't mention it on purpose. And btw I am bit of a newb here so take everything I just said in stride.
    well thought I was gonna taker her today..all I have around me is a part time reptile vet that only works thursday and friday so now takin her thurdays..its $57 just for the visit...its the only vet around that not 21/2 hours away...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lopezstud87 View Post
    well thought I was gonna taker her today..all I have around me is a part time reptile vet that only works thursday and friday so now takin her thurdays..its $57 just for the visit...its the only vet around that not 21/2 hours away...
    Ouch! That really sucks but she needs to see one as soon as you can, remember to keep her temps high too.
    iHerp - http://www.iherp.com/thedarkwolf25

1.1.0 Normal BP (Hera) (Eden)
    1.0.0 Pastel BP (Homer)
    1.0.0 Corn Snake (Zeus)
    0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Athena)
    0.1.0 Red Tail Boa (Persephine)
    0.1.0 50% Dwarf Retic (Isis)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Spyro)
    3.1.0 Cats (Rajah, Muffin, Storm, Ladybug)

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the info..ill post her outcome when I take her tomorr...thanxs

Registered User Shadows Valkyrie's Avatar
    Thanks

RE: Acting Weird

Sorry to hear about your snake. I hope she gets better soon. You'll have to let us all know how the vet visit goes. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast